BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

• Backroom

Glad we'll be playing a half decent team in the semis. It's not an all time Dutch squad by any stretch, but they'll give us a very different test and we will definitely need to raise our game to get past them. I don't think they'll let us zombify the game in the same way all of our previous opponents have.

In fairness, I think Turkey would have given us a challenge as well. I think they'll go home proud, they've far exceeded expectations and been a lot of fun to watch. 

If we do get to the final, I'd want us to have beaten at least one genuinely good team on the way there. For confidence and momentum if nothing else. The Dutch would be a decent scalp and you have to think it'd give the players, the manager and the fans a big boost if we did get past them. 

15 minutes ago, roverandout said:

We will lose v Holland 

Just now, roverandout said:

Dutch defence looks poor. They can be gotten at. I think we'll win. Yes I'm drunk lol. No seriously I think we can beat them

That was a quick change of mind 😁😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roverandout said:

We will lose v Holland 

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Dutch defence looks poor. They can be gotten at. I think we'll win. Yes I'm drunk lol. No seriously I think we can beat them

I think someone’s overtired😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

That was a quick change of mind 😁😁

I'm a bit drunk lol but having watched Holland their defence isn't particularly good. Saka can rip v diik to shreds.  We have better players I'm almost every area of the pitch 

Think we're far more suited to playing Holland than most teams we have so far. If they go toe to toe with us and attack it'll make for a far better game. We've got players who will know VVD's weaknesses inside out and personally think he's a liability these days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Think we're far more suited to playing Holland than most teams we have so far. If they go toe to toe with us and attack it'll make for a far better game. We've got players who will know VVD's weaknesses inside out and personally think he's a liability these days.

We’ll need to up our game but we’ve got as good a chance as the Dutch if we do.

I feel sorry for Southgate in a way. He's done an amazing job in so many aspects. It's just his in game management that leaves us frustrated. He deserves huge respect. I'm the first to criticise him. English football has improved hugely in the last 8 years. He had the bottle to drop under performing players. Bring in youth. No matter what happens Wednesday I'll have huge gratitude for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

I feel sorry for Southgate in a way. He's done an amazing job in so many aspects. It's just his in game management that leaves us frustrated. He deserves huge respect. I'm the first to criticise him. English football has improved hugely in the last 8 years. He had the bottle to drop under performing players. Bring in youth. No matter what happens Wednesday I'll have huge gratitude for him.

For those who constantly criticise him, it just makes me wonder what they said about every manager since Sir Alf. 

The bloke's done a fantastic job. 

• Like 3

Another boring and poor performance and so lucky to go through although was a great feeling to see a penalty win.

Holland are a step up in quality albeit not at the level of the big guns on the other side of the draw so if we play at a similar level with the same imbalance then we will be out.

The left hand side is a huge issue with Trippier and bizarrely Bellingham offering nothing. Kane is clearly not fit and trying to put all the big names in the same team leaves us lacking pace and lacking excitement. We have struggled to create throughout the tournament and are reliant on occasional individual brilliance.

We got the equaliser when we had thrown loads of attackers on the pitch and momentum swung back with us. Southgate naively left them all on and a lack of balance (Eze at left wing back for example) meant that Switzerland were able to be the better side in extra time and were very unfortunate not to win it. We were the poorer team across the 120 minutes.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Another boring and poor performance and so lucky to go through although was a great feeling to see a penalty win.

Holland are a step up in quality albeit not at the level of the big guns on the other side of the draw so if we play at a similar level with the same imbalance then we will be out.

The left hand side is a huge issue with Trippier and bizarrely Bellingham offering nothing. Kane is clearly not fit and trying to put all the big names in the same team leaves us lacking pace and lacking excitement. We have struggled to create throughout the tournament and are reliant on occasional individual brilliance.

We got the equaliser when we had thrown loads of attackers on the pitch and momentum swung back with us. Southgate naively left them all on and a lack of balance (Eze at left wing back for example) meant that Switzerland were able to be the better side in extra time and were very unfortunate not to win it. We were the poorer team across the 120 minutes.

It wasn't poor. We've improved greatly since the Slovakia game.  The Netherlands look slow at the back.  Saka could have a field day against their backline 

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

For those who constantly criticise him, it just makes me wonder what they said about every manager since Sir Alf. 

The bloke's done a fantastic job. 

Although you cant argue with how far he has got in tournaments, as I have said before, its not as clear cut as say league football where everyone plays all teams home and away and you finish exactly where you deserve.

There is a huge factor of luck in how the draws fall and in every tournament, things have fallen in our favour. Compare that to the teams that Sven played in early knockout games. As soon as we have played an elite side, we have fallen short. Lets see if he can change that in this tournament.

Also, the balls to drop big names? Kane, Bellingham and Foden all play together as a non negotiable when none have the pace to balance what they bring to the side.

• Backroom

If somebody wants to say with a straight face that they enjoyed tonight's match across the entire 120 minutes then fine, but people are also allowed to say they didn't like it and found it boring. Across the first and second half I believe we had a single shot on target. If that's entertaining to you then that's great, but it probably isn't to a lot of people, even if that sole shot on target went in.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

It wasn't poor. We've improved greatly since the Slovakia game.  The Netherlands look slow at the back.  Saka could have a field day against their backline 

Switzerland were comfortably the better side, we were poor and again im not sure if we even had a shot on target before the goal.

If that was considered a great improvement, and for me it wasnt. It only highlights how poor we were v Slovakia.

Fortunately we have stumbled to the semi finals. God knows how. 

And tonight's game against the Toberlerone and cuckoo clock makers was a complete bore fest and not much different to the previous games in which Southgate set up the team. 

Bench Kane, he's fooked and give Watkins a do. 

Not looking forward to playing Holland as I'm sure it will bore the pants off me. 

Hope I'm wrong though. 

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Although you cant argue with how far he has got in tournaments, as I have said before, its not as clear cut as say league football where everyone plays all teams home and away and you finish exactly where you deserve.

There is a huge factor of luck in how the draws fall and in every tournament, things have fallen in our favour. Compare that to the teams that Sven played in early knockout games. As soon as we have played an elite side, we have fallen short. Lets see if he can change that in this tournament.

Also, the balls to drop big names? Kane, Bellingham and Foden all play together as a non negotiable when none have the pace to balance what they bring to the side.

We were drawn in the toughest half of the draw, England and France were pre tournament favourites.

England did their job, France didn't. Like you say, you can't argue with how far he's got us in tournaments, then go on to argue it. 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Switzerland were comfortably the better side, we were poor and again im not sure if we even had a shot on target before the goal.

If that was considered a great improvement, and for me it wasnt. It only highlights how poor we were v Slovakia.

Bull. England dominated the majority of the game.  Switzerland hardly had a shot in goal 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You never say anything good about England 

18 minutes ago, M_B said:

We were drawn in the toughest half of the draw, England and France were pre tournament favourites.

England did their job, France didn't. Like you say, you can't argue with how far he's got us in tournaments, then go on to argue it. 

Beside the last 16 game where winning the group deserves a favourable tie. It is total luck from there on in as to who you get. The only time we havent had a favourable tie at that point, it was the last world cup and we went out. 

13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Bull. England dominated the majority of the game.  Switzerland hardly had a shot in goal 

12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

You never say anything good about England 

You clearly are totally blinkered on England similar to how chaddy is with Rovers. Alcohol may play a part as you had us down to lose v Holland before a few drinks. We hardly had a shot on goal. We had more of the ball but it again was slow, meaningless passing that Switzerland were happy to defend. As extra time went on they looked most likely to win again down to the imbalances in our team.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Beside the last 16 game where winning the group deserves a favourable tie. It is total luck from there on in as to who you get. The only time we havent had a favourable tie at that point, it was the last world cup and we went out. 

You clearly are totally blinkered on England similar to how chaddy is with Rovers. Alcohol may play a part as you had us down to lose v Holland before a few drinks. We hardly had a shot on goal. We had more of the ball but it again was slow, meaningless passing that Switzerland were happy to defend. As extra time went on they looked most likely to win again down to the imbalances in our team.

I agree but Switzerland hardly tested us. But every time from fans it's the usual England have the easy side of the draw. We improved immeasurably from the Slovakia game.