BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I agree but Switzerland hardly tested us. But every time from fans it's the usual England have the easy side of the draw. We improved immeasurably from the Slovakia game. 

If that is immeasurable improvement then it merely shows how poor we were v Slovakia. We did not really create much. Of course it only matters who goes through but you surely cant disagree that today was anywhere near how you would want us to play, or that the draws we have had in tournaments under Southgate has been anything but extremely favourable.

• Like 1

Given the games they've had, if England hadn't reached the semis at minimum it would be a colossal failure.

The fact they've only won one game in the tournament shows how poor they are.

It will be interesting to see how they get on against the Netherlands as they will provide an actual opponent.

We all enjoyed it, it was brilliant. But this is a forum where after the game you have more detailed discussions about the performance, and lets face it, it wasnt good. If it was purely to say whether we won or not, it wouldnt be much of a forum. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Another boring and poor performance and so lucky to go through although was a great feeling to see a penalty win.

Holland are a step up in quality albeit not at the level of the big guns on the other side of the draw so if we play at a similar level with the same imbalance then we will be out.

I was waiting for you to big up the next opposition straight after another England win. Anything to detract from Southgate’s latest triumph. 

On 01/07/2024 at 13:59, roversfan99 said:

This was your description of Switzerland straight after the Slovakia win. For such an amazing team we pretty much kept them at arms length for most of the game. 

The mistake you and a few others make is to ignore what Southgate is good at which is limiting the opposition to few opportunities and always giving the talented attacking players in the squad the chance to win us matches.  Compare that with Turkey who were fun to watch but ultimately couldn’t defend.

Southgate has done a phenomenal job as England manager. He knows how to win matches and progress in tournaments. That’s literally his job. 

Edited by Forever Blue

4 hours ago, M_B said:

We were drawn in the toughest half of the draw

That's one of the strangest things I've ever read in my life 🤣 I can only assume you were either being sarcastic, or you were first introduced to football about a week ago!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Beside the last 16 game where winning the group deserves a favourable tie. It is total luck from there on in as to who you get. The only time we havent had a favourable tie at that point, it was the last world cup and we went out.

In the last WC at the last 16 we did get a favourable tie and beat Senegal 3-0. In the quarter finals we 2-1 to France, who lost the final on penalties.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

That's one of the strangest things I've ever read in my life 🤣 I can only assume you were either being sarcastic, or you were first introduced to football about a week ago!

I assumed he was talking about a different Euros or WC as that statement cannot possibly apply to this one.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Beside the last 16 game where winning the group deserves a favourable tie. It is total luck from there on in as to who you get. The only time we havent had a favourable tie at that point, it was the last world cup and we went out. 

You clearly are totally blinkered on England similar to how chaddy is with Rovers. Alcohol may play a part as you had us down to lose v Holland before a few drinks. We hardly had a shot on goal. We had more of the ball but it again was slow, meaningless passing that Switzerland were happy to defend. As extra time went on they looked most likely to win again down to the imbalances in our team.

We should have been playing France to get to the final, they were pre tournament favourites. It isn't England's "luck" that we aren't playing them, it is down to French failings. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

France were in our half of the draw, England  and France were pre tournament favourites despite the prospect of having to face each other ,there's a lot of amnesia knocking about. 

I suppose we'll see if they both reach the final and prove the bookies right. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I wonder if any side has ever reached a semi final only winning one game in 90 mins. 

I wonder if anyone actually gives a toss...

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We all enjoyed it, it was brilliant. But this is a forum where after the game you have more detailed discussions about the performance, and lets face it, it wasnt good. If it was purely to say whether we won or not, it wouldnt be much of a forum. 

performances count for nothing in results based Football. Winning is all that matters

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You clearly are totally blinkered on England similar to how chaddy is with Rovers. Alcohol may play a part as you had us down to lose v Holland before a few drinks. We hardly had a shot on goal. We had more of the ball but it again was slow, meaningless passing that Switzerland were happy to defend. As extra time went on they looked most likely to win again down to the imbalances in our team.

I have no idea why you have bought me into your discussion with another posters. 

Our performance last night was much better than previous games and we have plan and tactical plan and we won but as par usually you want to put a downer on people happiness like roverandout

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There is a huge factor of luck in how the draws fall and in every tournament, things have fallen in our favour. Compare that to the teams that Sven played in early knockout games. As soon as we have played an elite side, we have fallen short. Lets see if he can change that in this tournament.

Bollocks! Its has nothing to do with luck. We aren't responsible for the way the draw is. Sven couldn't deliver in tournament football and Southgate has delivered 3 semi finals what did previously England manager since Terry Venables did in 96? 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, roverandout said:

Bull. England dominated the majority of the game.  Switzerland hardly had a shot in goal 

neither did we..1 shot one goal..southgate make eustace look like keegan

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We were inches from going home when that Shaquiri corner smacked against the angle of bar and post. An inch or two lower and Pickford wouldn’t have kept it out.

We’ve GOT to move the ball faster. We’ve got to move the ball forward more. We’ve got to get around the side of teams and not be content to play in front of teams all the time. All this tip tapping along the 18 yard line trying to thread a miracle ball through is getting us nowhere.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, M_B said:

We should have been playing France to get to the final, they were pre tournament favourites. It isn't England's "luck" that we aren't playing them, it is down to French failings. 

Please explain how England didn't get lucky in that situation.

2 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Please explain how England didn't get lucky in that situation.

Let me reverse the situation, would you say England had  been unlucky if they'd finished second and had to go in the other side of the draw? 

I'll preempt your answer as  no, England ballsed up for not winning their group. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Amazing how many folk don’t understand what I thought were simple concepts like chance, fortune etc.

Amazing how many people won't accept the simple concept of football results determining the outcome of the fixtures. 

• Like 2