BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

I think whether we win or lose on Sunday, Southgate will make his own decision and stay on for another 4 years. He is clearly suited to International football and enjoys it. The players have loads of respect for him. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If he loses both, no.

If Guardiola had won nothing at Citeh, would you consider him a success on a par with Alex Ferguson?

It's not at all the same. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If he loses both, no.

If Guardiola had won nothing at Citeh, would you consider him a success on a par with Alex Ferguson?

Ferguson is United's best manager of all time.

England are one win away from Southgate being, without a doubt, the best England manager of all time.

He's already a close second having got us to more finals then every other manager combined. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It's not at all the same. 

It's not exactly the same, but it's roughly comparable. 

You can only be judged on the quality of players at your disposal. If you have the best or one of the best  squad of players at your disposal as we have had over the last few years, you should be going deep into competitions and winning the odd one.

20 minutes ago, M_B said:

England are one win away from Southgate being, without a doubt, the best England manager of all time.

He's already a close second having got us to more finals then every other manager combined. 

all time ? give your head a wobble. 1966 .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's not exactly the same, but it's roughly comparable. 

You can only be judged on the quality of players at your disposal. If you have the best or one of the best  squad of players at your disposal as we have had over the last few years, you should be going deep into competitions and winning the odd one.

No, it isn't at all the same.

First of all, Manchester City can buy players. They can identify weaknesses in their first 11 and squad and go out and make improvements. England have a glaring shortage at left back, but can't do too much about it for the time being. City would simply go out and sign a left back and solve that problem in a single summer.

Secondly, it would be like judging Guardiola purely on the Champions League. League competition typically allows class and consistency to shine through - both of which England have shown under Southgate. The problem is delivering in one-off matches against good-quality opposition. 

It is virtually impossible to compare international football to club football in terms of how you would assess success. Southgate gets a chance to win something once every 2 years. Guardiola has two big competitions a season to win and if he wins either of them the season is a success (not to mention being able to throw in a handful of other competitions that can sweeten the deal).

Apples. Oranges.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Are you his mum or his agent ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

1966 World CupFinal on Channel 4 at the moment. 1-1at half time.

Well I have just watched the Terry Venables documentary and now watching Sir Bobby Robson one. The best 2 England managers since 1966 until Gareth Southgate 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

1966 World CupFinal on Channel 4 at the moment. 1-1at half time.

Hugh Johns the commentator naming every player as they receive the ball. Proper commentating such a breath of fresh air compared to much of the dross we have to listen to these days. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I have just watched the Terry Venables documentary and now watching Sir Bobby Robson one. The best 2 England managers since 1966 until Gareth Southgate 

Watch the documentary about Geoff Hurst if you can Chaddy.  I think it’s just called “Hurst”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think whether we win or lose on Sunday, Southgate will make his own decision and stay on for another 4 years. He is clearly suited to International football and enjoys it. The players have loads of respect for him. 

No chance imo. He's off come what may.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

No, it isn't at all the same.

First of all, Manchester City can buy players. They can identify weaknesses in their first 11 and squad and go out and make improvements. England have a glaring shortage at left back, but can't do too much about it for the time being. City would simply go out and sign a left back and solve that problem in a single summer.

Secondly, it would be like judging Guardiola purely on the Champions League. League competition typically allows class and consistency to shine through - both of which England have shown under Southgate. The problem is delivering in one-off matches against good-quality opposition. 

It is virtually impossible to compare international football to club football in terms of how you would assess success. Southgate gets a chance to win something once every 2 years. Guardiola has two big competitions a season to win and if he wins either of them the season is a success (not to mention being able to throw in a handful of other competitions that can sweeten the deal).

Apples. Oranges.

With respect, I think you're splitting hairs. City can go out and buy the best players in the Country, Southgate can pick the best players in the Country. You have to judge him relative to the quality of the players available to him at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

Hugh Johns the commentator naming every player as they receive the ball. Proper commentating such a breath of fresh air compared to much of the dross we have to listen to these days. 

Sam Matter face is the worst for me. Seems to think he's really amusing and everyone's best mate.

Brian Moore was probably one of my favourites. Sometimes less is more. Or Moore.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah hes looked pretty jaded, reckon he will quit and take a break irrespective of the result.

I think the ideal scenario for everyone in to win and have him leave on a success, a final redemption after the penalty failures on years past. 

He succeeds and reaches the pinnacle without dragging things out and allowing it to get poisonous, and the fans and team get to move forward with a hopefully more progressive manager who can make them the side we know they can be.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RTM08 said:

I think the ideal scenario for everyone in to win and have him leave on a success, a final redemption after the penalty failures on years past. 

He succeeds and reaches the pinnacle without dragging things out and allowing it to get poisonous, and the fans and team get to move forward with a hopefully more progressive manager who can make them the side we know they can be.  

Or more likely we lose tomorrow, Southgate moves on, and in 10 years time we look back and say "actually compared to everyone else Southgate was brilliant"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

With respect, I think you're splitting hairs. City can go out and buy the best players in the Country, Southgate can pick the best players in the Country. You have to judge him relative to the quality of the players available to him at the time.

That isn't splitting hairs. City can buy the best players in the world. Southgate can select from the best players in England. It's a massive difference.

But you're fixating on only one of the points I made. Probably best to just leave it there.