BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Ask most of the England fans trudging home bitterly disappointed if they wanted Southgate to carry on and I suspect you'd get a resounding No. He's not popular with the majority and Southgate knows it; the FA will try to persuade him to stay I'm sure but I think he wants out. He's had enough.

To Southgate's credit he's made England respectable and competitive again after years in the doldrums but he's been the luckiest manager ever with groups and draws. As usual, every time we play a really good side we lose. Spain beat France, Germany, Italy and Croatia on the way to the final. Would England have beaten any of those? 

Best comment I've seen on Kane is that "he looks like he's been towing a caravan all tournament". 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You should know by now to take everything said on here with a large pinch of salt chaddy.

When push comes to shove, the FA and Southgate will decide the future, Gareth gets results, his tournament record is outstanding, but sadly we came up against a Spain side that reminded me of Man City at times, we just couldn't get the ball of them and no manager could have done anything different with this set of players to counter that Spain side last night.

No foreign coach has ever won a world cup and only 1 has ever won the Euros, so if Gareth decides to leave its English only for me and that puts Eddie Howe in the hot seat if he'd leave Newcastle at best!

Lets hope Gareth gives it another 2yrs until the next world cup.

Gav, I don't and deffo with a pinch of salt. 

No way should we be appointing a foreign manager and its another typical reaction lets go foreign again even after the massive failures Sven and Capello. What other major footballing nation appoints a foreign coach, Spain don't, France don't, Germany don't, Argentina don't, Italy don't, Brazil don't. We deffo either. 

I hope Southgate takes time out and think whether he wants to stay on, If he does then he should for me. His record speaks for itself and best results in tournaments since 1966. If he does, then we got a decision and who would be interest in the job. For me, It should be Englishman and that's always been my view and Won't change either 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Ferdinand is even more a hilarious suggestion than Lampard 😂 the BBC guys seemingly have each others back. Why not Shearer?

If these are the candidates then lets not even enter such would be the embarassment.

Ferdinand was suggested by some people on various social media sites. 

Players do not need coaching but managing and have a good tactical brain 

9 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Thought you didn't want a foreign coach? 😜

Carsley is English. He was born in Birmingham. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Ask most of the England fans trudging home bitterly disappointed if they wanted Southgate to carry on and I suspect you'd get a resounding No. He's not popular with the majority and Southgate knows it; the FA will try to persuade him to stay I'm sure but I think he wants out. He's had enough.

To Southgate's credit he's made England respectable and competitive again after years in the doldrums but he's been the luckiest manager ever with groups and draws. As usual, every time we play a really good side we lose. Spain beat France, Germany, Italy and Croatia on the way to the final. Would England have beaten any of those? 

Best comment I've seen on Kane is that "he looks like he's been towing a caravan all tournament". 

I remember reading the autobiography of a one time England forward. Might have been Bobby Smith of Spurs. He said he was fine towards the end of the season at the tail end of his career and a couple of months later in the new season he knew he was ” gone “. It was that sudden.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Sir Geoff Hurst wants to see Gareth Southgate stay on as England manager.

England have now lost in back-to-back European Championship finals and are still awaiting a first trophy since 1966.

Hurst famously scored a hat-trick in that World Cup final and joined talkSPORT to voice his opinion.

He said: “Should Gareth Southgate keep his job? For me, the answer is yes. I'm not necessarily sure whether England will decide then. I think they may look like they want to keep him, but it's more like what Gareth decides.

“Gareth has managed the national side over 6 or 7 years with what he's gone through. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if he decides that at this point in his career, he decides that it is enough.”

A report in one paper today says that Man City, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are showing interest in Adam Wharton. It shows that some of Europes leading clubs can see the lad has a special talent at such a young age but Southgate can’t but always plays safe. 

Look at some of the Spain players

Williams plays for Athletic Bilbao, 5th in La Liga; match winner Oyarzabal and Le Normand play for Real Sociedad, 6th in La Liga; Dani Olmo, one of their best players this tournament, plays for RB Leipzig, Cucurella had modest season at Chelsea, Laporte plays for Al Nassr, Alvaro Morata is a decent forward, but nothing special

I don't accept these players as individuals are any better than England's in their position but you have to say they were brilliantly coached and, unlike England, played as a team. Southgate's England looked like a bunch of players who hardly knew each other. They were badly managed in this tournament

I'll repeat - foreign coaches, especially Spanish ones at present, understand the game better than English managers and have done for decades. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

A report in one paper today says that Man City, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are showing interest in Adam Wharton. It shows that some of Europes leading clubs can see the lad has a special talent at such a young age but Southgate can’t but always plays safe. 

Why didn't City move for him 6 months ago?

They've made some strange decisions - letting Palmer go particularly doesn't make sense. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

He was born here I believe, but qualified for Ireland having had a pint of Guinness  once. He’s taking the same route as Southgate by being in charge of U21’s, but he doesn’t have the playing pedigree like Southgate has.

Hardly inspiring is it? Keep Southgate for me if Carsley is the alternative.

He might be even more uninspiring than Southgate but he turned down the Ireland job pretty quickly. Granted that is a pretty shite job, but I wonder did someone have a word in his ear at the time?

• Moderation Lead

Slept on last night’s result and gathered my thoughts today.

Southgate has done some good for sure and he helped change the culture and the perception of the national team, for all that, he deserves credit. 

But, I think his race is run tbh. The semi against Croatia and now losing two finals, tells me that it’s probably never going to happen for him. I think he’ll leave whatever happens tbh.

Spain were the best team in the tournament and deserving winners, but losing in a final is still an absolute gut punch.

I think this tournament should be the end of the road for Walker and Kane too tbh. Kane looks like he can’t run and Walker has probably reached the end of his cycle really. 
As for a Southgate replacement, if we’re going English, I think the only real choices are Eddie Howe and Graham Potter.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Guehi is Ivorian, he was born in Abidjan.

The biggest positive to the tournament was Guehi. Centre back has been a real problem position for us but he looks top class.

We can put centre half to bed for a bit, and foucus on who plays left wing which is our biggest issue by far. We never fixed it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gav said:

No foreign coach has ever won a world cup and only 1 has ever won the Euros, so if Gareth decides to leave its English only for me and that puts Eddie Howe in the hot seat if he'd leave Newcastle at best!

Lets hope Gareth gives it another 2yrs until the next world cup.

No English manager has ever won the Prem so should clubs who want to be a success stop appointing them?

Howe won’t leave Newcastle.  Potter was a failure as soon as he had to deal with a big job and big egos.

We should go all out for Klopp.  Or even Pep - if we can convince him to ditch City early (unlikely I know).  If we win something I don’t give a shite where the manager comes from tbh.

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

The biggest positive to the tournament was Guehi. Centre back has been a real problem position for us but he looks top class.

We can put centre half to bed for a bit, and foucus on who plays left wing which is our biggest issue by far. We never fixed it.

Stones was also very good and Konsa came in out of the cold and looked solid as well. The defence was mostly solid, but we need to get a new LB in the squad.

Biggest issue is clearly how we move forward, and that is as much a manager issue - we have no identity moving forwards because the manager doesn't like attacking.

31 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think this tournament should be the end of the road for Walker and Kane too tbh. Kane looks like he can’t run and Walker has probably reached the end of his cycle really. 
As for a Southgate replacement, if we’re going English, I think the only real choices are Eddie Howe and Graham Potter.

Interesting comments on Walker, arguably our best player in the tournament, saved us countless times with his pace, but I guess you're looking at his age and will he lose his legs? He'd be first on my team sheet for USA world Cup, if he maintains his current form.

Kane has 36 goals domestically this season in a tough league which Bayern didn't win, the most goals of any player in Europe. He's been an easy target this campaign due to the role he played for the team, lack of support and very few chances, yet shared the golden boot! But I agree, in the current system he looked a shot player, but what a player he's been if he hangs up his boots for England. 

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, I don't and deffo with a pinch of salt. 

No way should we be appointing a foreign manager and its another typical reaction lets go foreign again even after the massive failures Sven and Capello. What other major footballing nation appoints a foreign coach, Spain don't, France don't, Germany don't, Argentina don't, Italy don't, Brazil don't. We deffo either. 

I hope Southgate takes time out and think whether he wants to stay on, If he does then he should for me. His record speaks for itself and best results in tournaments since 1966. If he does, then we got a decision and who would be interest in the job. For me, It should be Englishman and that's always been my view and Won't change either 

Ferdinand was suggested by some people on various social media sites. 

Players do not need coaching but managing and have a good tactical brain 

Carsley is English. He was born in Birmingham. 

Anyone who suggested Rio Ferdinand as next England manager is an idiot.

You are again trying to justify your desire not to have a non English manager (which is fair enough I guess) by highlighting 2 individuals who failed as some warped proof that a foreigner cant be the answer.

There are more holes in your argument than a cheese grater. Carsley can be considered despite declaring for the Irish national team because he was born in England, thus is English. So presumably you'd drop Guehi, born in the Ivory Coast?

Southgate is great at man managing it seems but tactically isnt up to it. This depressing list of potential realistic English managers is why people are keen to widen the net.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am a big Southgate fan, and think he's unarguably England's second best ever manager.... but if the idea is we need a new philosophy and identity etc surely putting him in a director would be the wrong choice? If we are going to change (and I think  we should) then we need to commit to the change? Hanging onto Southgate in whatever role would not make sense imo.

For absolute clarity I was not meaning with the FA necessarily…more a way into a club hierarchy as opposed to what was tipped pre-tournament e.g. the Man U job. 

• Like 1

Rather tongue in cheek, Kevin McGuire has translated the FIFA rankings into English League Football rankings, and transposed England England's Euro 2024 results .... ( 90minutes )

Spurs 1 Preston 0
Spurs 1 Leicester 1
Spurs 0 Exeter 0

Spurs 1 Portsmouth 1 
Spurs 1 Burnley 1
Spurs 2 Newcastle 1
Spurs 1 Man Utd 2

Food for thought ? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Rather tongue in cheek, Kevin McGuire has translated the FIFA rankings into English League Football rankings, and transposed England England's Euro 2024 results .... ( 90minutes )

Spurs 1 Preston 0
Spurs 1 Leicester 1
Spurs 0 Exeter 0

Spurs 1 Portsmouth 1 
Spurs 1 Burnley 1
Spurs 2 Newcastle 1
Spurs 1 Man Utd 2

Food for thought ? 

Rovers would actually be Scotland  🤣

Rank 39

Edited by Hasta

16 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Spurs 1 Preston 0
Spurs 1 Leicester 1
Spurs 0 Exeter 0

Spurs 1 Portsmouth 1 
Spurs 1 Burnley 1
Spurs 2 Newcastle 1
Spurs 1 Man Utd 2

Food for thought ? 

Tongue in cheek......... but says it all.

55 minutes ago, MarkBRFC71 said:

No English manager has ever won the Prem so should clubs who want to be a success stop appointing them?

Howe won’t leave Newcastle.  Potter was a failure as soon as he had to deal with a big job and big egos.

We should go all out for Klopp.  Or even Pep - if we can convince him to ditch City early (unlikely I know).  If we win something I don’t give a shite where the manager comes from tbh.

I agree completely - we SHOULD  all out for Klopp and offer him an open cheque. It's extremely rare anyone of that calibre becomes available  and it's an opportunity we shouldn't ignore.

The FA won't though, they'll play safe and go for Howe Potter or heaven forbid Carsley locking in another good few years of hurt.

13 minutes ago, waynerovers said:

Don't know why people are so adamant the manager needs to be English. I want someone with a proven track record of winning trophies, there aren't any English managers that have done that at the top level.

Would you rule out Poccetino on that basis then?

He's the only other person I can think of I'd really want other than Klopp and Guardiola who probably wouldn't want it anyway.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Anyone who suggested Rio Ferdinand as next England manager is an idiot.

No, they aren't idiot at all but its their opinion and they deserved to have it respected. You make want to carry on with the name calling like you do every single week. 

You are again trying to justify your desire not to have a non English manager (which is fair enough I guess) by highlighting 2 individuals who failed as some warped proof that a foreigner cant be the answer.

No I don't need to justify my opinion and long held belief that the England national team manager should be Englishman. It has always been my opinion and always will be. Yet again, its always the typical rumours when we don't win, lets go foreign and it will be all better. Its annoyed greatly, It that what countries like Germany, France, or Spain will do. No! Spain after the last world cup very quickly appointed their under 21 manager as the Senior national team manager. 

There are more holes in your argument than a cheese grater. Carsley can be considered despite declaring for the Irish national team because he was born in England, thus is English. So presumably you'd drop Guehi, born in the Ivory Coast?

Carsley is English simple as. Guehi is British. He moved here since he was 1 year old and has come through the England set up from under 16 level to Senior. 

Southgate is great at man managing it seems but tactically isnt up to it. This depressing list of potential realistic English managers is why people are keen to widen the net.

No the list isn't depressing at all and its you that finds the list depressing and yet again what to go foreign again, Is that what Spain would do? no they didn't. 

Why should we go foreign? who you going for? Its a very simple question so who is on your 3 man shortlist? I am more than happy to name my 3 man English shortlist. 

3 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

For absolute clarity I was not meaning with the FA necessarily…more a way into a club hierarchy as opposed to what was tipped pre-tournament e.g. the Man U job. 

Man Utd wanted him as head coach there. I think you make some logically points about Southgate being more suited to a technical director or Director of football role than club manager. 

2 hours ago, waynerovers said:

Don't know why people are so adamant the manager needs to be English. I want someone with a proven track record of winning trophies, there aren't any English managers that have done that at the top level.

Cos it the English manager job. Do other major nations like Spain, Italy, Germany, France go foreign with their national team manager. Spain after the world cup in Qatar, They shocked people by going for their under 21 manager as national team manager and less than 2 years since that decision they have won the Euros.