BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

Our defence is pretty strong. We have a plethora of young talented defenders coming through.  Fullback options aren't too bad. Midfield is getting stronger too. 

Yet none of them are as good as the likes of Rooney, Scholes, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Beckham etc etc. 

Then you go back to the 90s when we had strikers like Shearer, Cole, Sheringham, Les Ferdinand. Every single one of them is better than the Harry Kane that was in Germany. 

The current England squad is very very average. 

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

Our defence is pretty strong. We have a plethora of young talented defenders coming through.  Fullback options aren't too bad. Midfield is getting stronger too. 

Yet in the knock-out stages we went behind in every game.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

eddie howe now leads the betting market for the england job,would be no surprise if he landed the job and southgate got the newcastle position

howe perfect for the fa,quiet and conservative,will never cause any controversy

southgate currently loved by nearly everyone,he`ll walk into a big job

Wouldn’t quite describe Howe as conservative, he likes his tactics to be more attacking doesn’t he? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

You don't seem to be giving any actual reason to hire Lampard though. Unless you're saying that because he has failed at club level he will make a good international manager??

Lampard isn't on my 3 man shortlist I posted this morning but my point was that international football is very different to club management and I highlighted 2 successful national team managers who have won international tournaments whilst having poor club management careers whilst successful club managers like Capello struggled at this level

8 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Ange would be my pick out of all of them.

Plays attacking football, good man-manager and has experience of coaching an international team.

He's too attacking for me... Great entertainment but doesnt set up teams to win in my view 

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect Howe, Potter, Carsley, O'Neil and Lampard all to be interview 

It's a poor showing for English managers if that's the best we have. Gary O'Neil might turn out to be a good manager in time but he's managed just 82 games so far and only has a 34% win ratio across them both.

Eddie Howe probably the only one right now that would be worth an approach but the FA have to be asking the question to some of the elite managers (Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti), they'd all be a significant step up from Howe, Carsley, Lampard (😂), Potter.

I don't think the FA will be particularly creative tbh. Probably a half assed attempt at Howe before Newcastle knock them back and then it'll be straight to Potter as he's the cheapest, simplest and laziest solution around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Yet none of them are as good as the likes of Rooney, Scholes, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Beckham etc etc. 

Then you go back to the 90s when we had strikers like Shearer, Cole, Sheringham, Les Ferdinand. Every single one of them is better than the Harry Kane that was in Germany. 

The current England squad is very very average. 

Yet that lot have been outperformed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

It's a poor showing for English managers if that's the best we have. Gary O'Neil might turn out to be a good manager in time but he's managed just 82 games so far and only has a 34% win ratio across them both.

Eddie Howe probably the only one right now that would be worth an approach but the FA have to be asking the question to some of the elite managers (Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti), they'd all be a significant step up from Howe, Carsley, Lampard (😂), Potter.

I don't think the FA will be particularly creative tbh. Probably a half assed attempt at Howe before Newcastle knock them back and then it'll be straight to Potter as he's the cheapest, simplest and laziest solution around.

I think those elite managers will be beyond us but there is a layer or 2 beneath that who are still above the sorry list that is being banded around of the unproven or proven failures. Howe is the only one who would maybe justify an interview on merit.

We would all prefer an Englishman but the pool is so poor that we have to look further afield.

33 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Like I have repeatably said the next England manager should be Englishman and I won't waive from this viewpoint. I think Howe is the best bet but as I have shown that the best club managers don't also make the best international managers. 

The candidates will be Howe, Potter, Carsley, Lampard, O'Neil and possibly Dyche. We should choose from those 5 and interview all 5 and pick the best candidate from Englishman. We should NOT appoint another foreign manager as England manager. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I have repeatably said the next England manager should be Englishman and I won't waive from this viewpoint. I think Howe is the best bet but as I have shown that the best club managers don't also make the best international managers. 

The candidates will be Howe, Potter, Carsley, Lampard, O'Neil and possibly Dyche. We should choose from those 5 and interview all 5 and pick the best candidate from Englishman. We should NOT appoint another foreign manager as England manager. 

Yes, you constantly repeat it and yet because of it, you can only produce a list of third rate managers and some utterly shocking suggestions like Lampard.

If I told you, that you could pick any current manager in the world to manage "Football Club A"(with no restrictions) and that's all you knew, you wouldn't be going anywhere near any current English managers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Yes, you constantly repeat it and yet because of it, you can only produce a list of third rate managers and some utterly shocking suggestions like Lampard.

If I told you, that you could pick any current manager in the world to manage "Football Club A"(with no restrictions) and that's all you knew, you wouldn't be going anywhere near any current English managers.

How well-known with Spain manager and Low known when appointed International management. International management is very different to club football management.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How well-known with Spain manager and Low known when appointed International management. International management is very different to club football management.

It is but you've listed 5 managers and only 1 of them has any international managerial experience?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with how well known were Fuente and Low before they were appointed. Low held 6 club managerial positions (with varying degrees of success) before being assistant to Klinsmann for Germany, so pretty well known. 

Fuente might not have been well known to the general public but he managed the Spain national team at U19, U21 and U23 levels, so would have been very well known to the Spanish national set up.

Edited by davulsukur

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

It is but you've listed 5 managers and only 1 of them has any international managerial experience?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with how well known were Fuente and Low before they were appointed. Low held 6 club managerial positions (with varying degrees of success) before being assistant to Klinsmann for Germany, so pretty well known. 

Fuente might not have been well known to the general public but he managed the Spain national team at U19, U21 and U23 levels, so would have been very well known to the Spanish national set up.

I think I've more than clear this. International management doesn't always suit successful Club managers. Example Capello and Eriksson as 2 prime examples where as Southgate did and I wish he stayed on for another 2 years at least

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think I've more than clear this. International management doesn't always suit successful Club managers. Example Capello and Eriksson as 2 prime examples where as Southgate did and I wish he stayed on for another 2 years at least

So, there is no logical reason for your 5 man shortlist then, ok no worries.

Anyway, if Klopp was announced tomorrow and won England the Euros in 4 years time, you'd be the first to champion him and change your stance on English only managers.

So it's all a bit moot really.

30 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

So, there is no logical reason for your 5 man shortlist then, ok no worries.

Anyway, if Klopp was announced tomorrow and won England the Euros in 4 years time, you'd be the first to champion him and change your stance on English only managers.

So it's all a bit moot really.

Wrong, my opinion has and always will be that England Senior National Football manager should be Englishman and we tried this foreign option twice and didn't improve. Capello was disaster. 

The next England manager should be English. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong, my opinion has and always will be that England Senior National Football manager should be Englishman and we tried this foreign option twice and didn't improve. Capello was disaster. 

The next England manager should be English. 

The next England manager probably will be English because the FA are fairly useless and will just pick the easiest solution to them, rather than showing any ambition.

OK, so it's done, if the next England manager isn't English, you'll not be supporting them until an Englishman is appointed 👍

51 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The next England manager probably will be English because the FA are fairly useless and will just pick the easiest solution to them, rather than showing any ambition.

I think thats a little unfair, the easiest option is to go for the popular candidate at that time, as we did with Capello & Sven and we all know how that worked out. The Southgate appointment certainly had some thought behind it, with Gareth coming up through the England setup as a player and manager and it almost worked. 

I said yesterday that I don't envy the FA this time around, Carsley would be the natural choice, but its just come a little early for him as far as I'm concerned and why would Howe leave Newcastle with all that Saudi money burning a hole in his pocket?

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

OK, so it's done, if the next England manager isn't English, you'll not be supporting them until an Englishman is appointed 👍

if its klopp i wont