BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Yes. Maybe saying he's shit is a bit much. He's certainly no St Vincent.

But as you say the fixtures that England have had in the knockout stages have been very generous and if they hadn't have won all of those games the question of "is Southgate a shit manager?" Would be met with a resounding yes.

As soon as they have come up against any real opposition they have crumbled.

For me Southgate embodies a lot of what is wrong with the English game. This mentality of trying not to lose rather than going out to win is the absolute bane of English football. It's the main reason I don't like Eustace here.

England have got a great squad and they will fall short because the man in the dugout is not a winner he is bang average at best. Mediocre as a player and mediocre as a manager. If he was announced as the next Rovers manager I wouldn't be too happy about it.

Just to add:

He's got Wharton, Bellingham and Kane. That's enough to win against anyone.

I sort of agree, but there's a good knock out win against Germany in there. Flip side of that is that it was at Wembley of course (along with most of our last Euros campaign) so that's another stroke of good fortune.

I'd have the games against decent teams in major tournaments as Belgium x2, Croatia x2, Germany, Denmark, Italy and France. Of those eight games, we've won two in 90 mins, three if you include Denmark in ET, so in the round it's a pretty poor record for me. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'd have the games against decent teams in major tournaments as Belgium x2, Croatia x2, Germany, Denmark, Italy and France. Of those eight games, we've won two in 90 mins, three if you include Denmark in ET, so in the round it's a pretty poor record for me. 

Fair, although you can probably throw one of those matches against Belgium out (the group game where both played weakened sides).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Fair, although you can probably throw one of those matches against Belgium out (the group game where both played weakened sides).

Both games v Belgium.  The third place game wasn't a bug occasion really for both sides as I'm sure neither team wanted to participate.  

3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I can't include Denmark. In Euro 2020 they lost against Belgium and Finland in their group and went through somewhat fortunately on goal difference by winning one against Russia. They then beat Wales and the Czechs.

I was more suprised that having battered Ukraine in the previous round, England made very hard work of beating Denmark in the semi final.

Edited by Hasta

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I can't include Denmark. In Euro 2020 they lost against Belgium and Finland in their group and went through somewhat fortunately on goal difference by winning one against Russia. They then beat Wales and the Czechs.

I was more suprised that having battered Ukraine in the previous round, England made very hard work of beating Denmark in the semi final.

I'd cut Denmark some slack in the group stage, especially the Finland game. They had all just watched Eriksen collapse and almost die on the pitch. Their mental recovery was quite remarkable. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'd cut Denmark some slack in the group stage, especially the Finland game. They had all just watched Eriksen collapse and almost die on the pitch. Their mental recovery was quite remarkable. 

Fair point. Forgot about that.

13 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Some interesting insights into Wharton’s mentality from his agent but overall, a pretty humdrum piece. I don’t think the media are appreciating the extent of Wharton’s achievement in getting into the squad or his potential. 

I can’t think of another England player who’s had such a meteoric rise without having gone to one of the big clubs. I also don’t know if we’ve seen an English playmaker with Wharton’s potential since Michael Carrick. 

It can be argued Mainoo and Wharton’s inclusions reflect a shortage of English CMs. And, he won’t, it seems, be involved a lot if Trent and Gallagher are ahead of him. However, I get the impression that the media just aren’t overly interested. For Wharton, it’s probably a good thing. But curious nonetheless.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

On 12/06/2024 at 16:19, Hasta said:

You could'nt bet on England losing against Iceland, but they did.

14 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

You could'nt bet on England losing against Iceland, but they did.

Err. I agree. I wouldn’t put England as being a good side at all in that tournament.

(if you mean last weekend I never worry about pre-tournament friendlies. France just drew 0-0 with Canada)

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

• Backroom
12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Because it was Blackburn Rovers to Crystal Palace.

Say it was Sunderland to Liverpool, imagine the difference.

Don’t need to imagine it: Jordan Henderson

• Like 1

Looking at the pictures/clips coming back from Germany, it certainly makes me want to come out of 'England away retirement' and jump on the next plane to Gelsenkirchen.

An estimated 10,000 England fans have travelled to this one, looks superb, I do miss it.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

i`ve put some groats on england to win the euros,biggest handicap is our manager but with the squad we`ve got we should win the trophy,wether southgate can make it a cohesive unit when it`s not going our way on the pitch,maybe not,best england squad iv`e ever seen tbh,we don`t win it now,we`ll never win it

I’ve no time for Scotland when it comes to football, but that was a brilliant rendition of Flower of Scotland. 

150,000 Scots in Munich, 4% of the population have travelled, you’ve got to give them credit.

Come on Germany

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

• Backroom

Early goal might be the best thing for the game, as Scotland were clearly planning to bed in at the back and try and grind out a 0-0 or 1-0. Will actually need to try and attack now. 

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’ve no time for Scotland when it comes to football, but that was a brilliant rendition of Flower of Scotland. 

150,000 Scots in Munich, 4% of the population have travelled, you’ve got to give them credit.

Come on Germany

I've said the same on another forum. 

Outstanding rendition.