BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Very short-sighted. At present the CL is a European Super League in all but name. The same clubs qualify for the group stages every year pretty much and therefore get all the money.

If the CL was purely for the Champions of each league then the quality of those clubs would increase, simply because they would have access to more resources. 

Your idea of allowing the top 3 or 4 clubs from the top 4 richest leagues in Europe to control a de facto European Super League, as they do now, is uncompetitive and unfair. 

All very valid and good points. 

if teams like Malmo or Bode Glimt could attract better player signings but also improve the stadium, club infrastructure and youth teams facilities. 

Currently its between around 7 or 8 teams who will win the Champions league 

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Yeah odd take from ‘99 this. He’s always bemoaning the Chadster for his love of all things Sky and how the ‘PL is the greatest thing in the world’, yet he’s no issue in seeing an elite club dominated European Super League (a UEFA run one) hollowing out the rest of football.

good valid point Matty 

4 hours ago, ABBEY said:

so this Irish clown manager of England has said he won't sing the English anthem .

firstly Abbey, he is English and was born in Birmingham. 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Perhaps it is somewhat short sighted and even selfish. The predominant reason is that it provides great entertainment and the best players which I feel is enriched by having more than one team from the countries that naturally have the strongest leagues.

But equally, wouldnt it become even more elitist if we had the same dominant side in each country being in the tournament potentially year after year. I suppose you could argue that one team wouldnt win the league repeatedly but take City now, wouldnt their strangelhold on a now predictable Premier League become even stronger if they were the only team pocketing the UEFA millions? We have Aston Villa in this year, Newcastle last year (I appreciate thats a seperate case due to Saudi money) and Leicester not too long ago, all of whom have been in the Championship not that long ago.

I also think that a lot of the issue seems to come around the fact that the Champions League is named how it is. If it was still known as the European cup, that argument that it should only br

No my problem is the format of the entire competition and the way its all about having 3 or 4 teams from England, Italy, Spain, etc whilst teams from Sweden or Norway don't get a fair quick cos they have to qualify for the champions league even tho they have won their own domestic league

My issue with chaddys view on Sky is that I feel that because he has Sky and not BT, he can not look beyond endlessly defending and parroting everything Sky does. The endless kick off changes, thinking that every single pundit on sky is great, he can not see any fault in what they do because he has Sky.

I have Sky and Sky Sports for a range of different sports they have just not football like International cricket during the English summer or the coverage of the entire F1 live and F2 season. Plus the range of TV shows I watched. TNT Sport coverage does 1 PL game a week and no F1 coverage or no test matches during the summer.  

The change of kick off times would happen with any TV broadcast company whether it was Sky or TNT or Amazon. So its a mooted point 

I like Neville, Carragher and Keane as Pundit(their podcast is great). Redknapp is ok. Think Sutton is good, not keen on some of the EFL pundits. 

The issues more domestically could be eased with the removal of parachute payments, a fairer distribution of funds and on a more logistical level, a limit in kick off moves both per individual team and across the board.

The TV companies and fans watching at home want to watch the most important games. 

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we are already seeing signs that Lee Carsley wouldnt be a popular choice if he became England manager. Southgate had an initial period where everyone bought into him as a patriotic Englishman at a time where our pool of players was limited and expectation was low, and it was only as time went on that we saw his limitations as a very average manager coupled with an emergic crop of players that led to people becoming frustrated by him.

At this point, we have players where people demand success off the back of nearly moments. Carsley seems to have rubbed people up the wrong way by saying that he wont sing the national anthem (certainly no problem from me on that) and discussing his pride not only of his English roots but his Irish roots.

My issue is, surely he can not be the best person we can attract especially if we forget this supposed desire to pick from such a limited pool of English coaches. But I predict that he will win these easy and ultimately pointless nations league games and be appointed longer term.

what signs are they that Carsley wouldn't be popular choice? 

Gordon and Gibbs-White have backed Carsley for the job. 

I would appoint Carsley if he does well in the games he is charge of. Just like we did with Southgate. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

what signs are they that Carsley wouldn't be popular choice? 

Gordon and Gibbs-White have backed Carsley for the job. 

I would appoint Carsley if he does well in the games he is charge of. Just like we did with Southgate. 

He literally mentioned them in the post you're quoting.

Imagine if they asked players (especially seeing as one has been called up for the first time) if they would support Carsley longer term and they said:

"No, I would prefer a better appointment. Carsley hasn't got any senior experience and we should look to get the very best manager we can possibly appoint, which likely isn't Lee Carsley at this stage."

Never going to happen, obviously they will back him.

His job shouldnt depend on beating 2 poor sides who couldnt even qualify for a 24 team Euros in glorified friendlies either.

Love how Grealish will be starting, has really earnt it sat on his arse for over a year. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Carsley is English who chose the easy route to international caps via an Irish granny.

As an Englishman and manager of the England national team, hopefully short term, he should sing the National Anthem.

End off or Fuck off, his choice.

It absolutely is his choice whether or not he sings a song. I'll not be making a judgement on his suitability to manage a football team either way. 

Edit: "Irish granny", so he's part Irish. Have you any idea of the ill will (justifiably, many would say) that the Irish have towards our monarchy?

Edited by London blue
  • Like 1

I guess their backing come from actually working with Carsley and both part of the under 21's successful team. Southgate had no senior international football experience before being appointed. 

Grealish is starting probably down to Palmer and Foden not being part of the squad 

• Moderation Lead

If he sings the national al anthem or not, makes no difference to me- freedom of speech, innit.

If he’s shit at managing, that’s more of a problem in terms of his suitability to the role for me.

• Like 6

Their backing is purely being asked if they support their current manager. Obviously everyone will publically say that they back the manager. Non story, read nothing into it.

Even without the predictable flurry of pull outs with people not arsed about the Nations League. The likes of Eze surely are much more deserving of a place.

Agree on the national anthem situation. Dont care if he sings it or not. My issues with him potentially being the manager are it screams a lazy appointment of someone in with the FA, has to be "English," non controversial, wont kick up a fuss.

19 minutes ago, London blue said:

"Irish granny", so he's part Irish. Have you any idea of the ill will (justifiably, many would say) that the Irish have towards our monarchy?

Fully agree with what you say here LB.

For a bit of balance in this, Carsley also didn’t sing the Irish national anthem when he was a player with Ireland. Nothing to do with disrespect to either country, it was to avoid losing concentration prior to the game starting and all explained on the BBC sports pages. I bit flimsy if you ask me but there you go.

How times change. Back in the 1970s and 80s, English football fans booed the national anthem before every FA Cup final. The royal family were as far removed from working class football fans as anyone could be and there was little love for them. Fast forward a generation or so and now everyone and his dog sings along with gusto. Weird.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, London blue said:

It absolutely is his choice whether or not he sings a song. I'll not be making a judgement on his suitability to manage a football team either way. 

Edit: "Irish granny", so he's part Irish. Have you any idea of the ill will (justifiably, many would say) that the Irish have towards our monarchy?

I'm English and I hate those entitled, free loading nonces and idiots. Stuff the king and his homeopathy nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Their backing is purely being asked if they support their current manager. Obviously everyone will publically say that they back the manager. Non story, read nothing into it.

No their backing is based on knowing him from being part of the under 21's team under him that won a tournament. 

Even without the predictable flurry of pull outs with people not arsed about the Nations League. The likes of Eze surely are much more deserving of a place.

Let's see how we play and where everyone plays firstly 

Agree on the national anthem situation. Dont care if he sings it or not.

Agreed

My issues with him potentially being the manager are it screams a lazy appointment of someone in with the FA, has to be "English," non controversial, wont kick up a fuss.

The same route as Southgate did

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Carsley is English who chose the easy route to international caps via an Irish granny.

As an Englishman and manager of the England national team, hopefully short term, he should sing the National Anthem.

End off or Fuck off, his choice.

I'm a republican and an atheist.  Singing God Save the King would also make me a hypocrite.  Maybe Carsely feels the same way.

• Like 1