BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Either way, he can’t win. Celebrates like buggery, gets loads of stick. Doesn’t celebrate and gets loads of stick anyway. 
For what it’s worth, I don’t think you should be able to switch allegiance in the way that is possible in football, but I don’t make the rules.

ROI have benefitted from players using the system in Northern Ireland right up to under 21 level, then switching to them, so they haven’t exactly been angelic themselves anyway.

I’d make it the rule that you can only play for the team your passport says you are a national of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Sadly, think we'll roll Finland and Carsley will get the job.

Appointing Carsley will be a huge, huge mistake.  Predictably, those called up singing his praises.  As well as questioning his abilities / credentials for the job, I simply don't like the guy and I guess that stems from his time at Rovers which was distinctly unmemorable.

Any manager who leaves out a huge talent like Wharton and continues with the overrated Mainoo and picks Gomes from absolutely nowhere seriously needs to give his head a wobble.

A decent first half against a League One equivalent ROI followed by an excruciating second half.

Sadly for Adam Wharton, think the only way he will get an England call up / start is when he moves to one of the 'big clubs'.

His time at Rovers should have zero baring on whether he should get appoint or not as England first team manager. 

On Gomes, he has been playing Ligue 1 football plus European football for the last 3 season, so your comments he has come from nowhere is wrong given he was part of England under 21 squad and was part of the successful team. 

Is Mainoo overrated really? 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Has there ever been an Ireland side with so few established PL/old First Division players in it? Sad decline.

Its a great point but I was surprised by their choice of head coach and it wouldn't be my choice either. 

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His time at Rovers should have zero baring on whether he should get appoint or not as England first team manager. 

On Gomes, he has been playing Ligue 1 football plus European football for the last 3 season, so your comments he has come from nowhere is wrong given he was part of England under 21 squad and was part of the successful team. 

Its a great point but I was surprised by their choice of head coach and it wouldn't be my choice either. 

mainoo is defo overated. 

like dolan flashes of brilliant mostly nothing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Read again!  I didn't say Carsley's time at Rovers should be a factor in whether he gets England job or not.  What I did say is I didn't like the guy and part of that is due to his unmemorable time at Rovers.

Yes, Mainoo is VASTLY overrated.  If he played for Palace and Wharton for United the selections for England would be different!

As for Gomes, if he was THAT good he wouldn't be playing for Lille but rather for a top PL team.

Who do you think is the best midfielder out of Wharton, Mainoo and Gomes?

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Who do you think is the best midfielder out of Wharton, Mainoo and Gomes?

all 3 are very different midfielders and shouldn't be compare. 

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As for Gomes, if he was THAT good he wouldn't be playing for Lille but rather for a top PL team.

if he wants to play in France than fair enough plus he left United a few years ago and I think that looks a good decision. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

People with dual nationality.

My tutor has three! British, Irish, South African!

Dad’s Irish, Mum’s Scottish, born in Johannesburg!

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

all 3 are very different midfielders and shouldn't be compare. 

So how are they all different?

What are their main strengths?

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gomes is a defensive midfielder, Wharton is midfield playmaker and Mainoo is box to box midfielder/sitting midfielder  

Gomes - so why select / play him when you have Rice in that position and you also say Mainoo is a "sitting midfielder"

Mainoo - he is either 'box to box' or a 'sitting midfielder', which one?  Bottom line is he's no different to Conor Gallagher and both are overrated.

So you have Wharton as a midfield playmaker which in Southgate's own words 'England have needed for years'.

Question - do you think Wharton should start in England's midfield alongside Rice and, if not, why not.

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Gomes - so why select / play him when you have Rice in that position and you also say Mainoo is a "sitting midfielder"

Mainoo - he is either 'box to box' or a 'sitting midfielder', which one?  Bottom line is he's no different to Conor Gallagher and both are overrated.

So you have Wharton as a midfield playmaker which in Southgate's own words 'England have needed for years'.

Question - do you think Wharton should start in England's midfield alongside Rice and, if not, why not.

I would tend to agree that Wharton is possibly the best of the 3.

But is it not hypocritical to suggest that Gomes cant be that good if he isnt currently at one of the big clubs before then being so strong on this opinion?

Mainoo is better than Gallagher especially on the ball but I do think he is a little overrated.

27 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If you watched the Ireland game, you would have seen Rice was more box to box with Mainoo sitting in front of back 4. 

27 minutes ago, Mercer said:

No I don't cos my midfield 3 would be Bellingham, Rice and Foden. With a front 3 of Palmer, Kane and Gordon with back 4 of TAA, Stones, Guehi and Davis. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve got loads but only one is valid.

I had two British passports in the 80’s. If you had a South African stamp in your passport you weren’t allowed into many Middle Eastern countries, hence the need for another. 

On the upcoming Finland game, a good Finnish friend once told me that Finland is very good at individual sports but no good at team sports. He said the Finland football team would be great if they had 11 balls. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If you watched the Ireland game, you would have seen Rice was more box to box with Mainoo sitting in front of back 4. 

No I don't cos my midfield 3 would be Bellingham, Rice and Foden. With a front 3 of Palmer, Kane and Gordon with back 4 of TAA, Stones, Guehi and Davis. 

Yep, I saw the game and given how poor ROI were and how much possession we had, it would have been absurd not to see Rice in a more offensive role as for Mainoo, he too was similar to Rice but merely a poorer version.

As for your 'dream midfield three' of Bellingham, Rice and Foden it wouldn't work!  Bellingham and Foden are really number 10's and I think some folk need to accept it may be a struggle to successfully accommodate both in the same team (same Lampard and Gerrard issue).  Sir Alf Ramsey once said to Jack Charlton when Jack strangely queried his selection for the 1966 World Cup, 'it's my job to put the best team out on the field and not the best players' !!!!!!!!!!!! - so, so very true and Sir Alf remains the only England manager to have lifted the Jules Rimet. 

It's painfully obvious we need a midfielder in there who can 'knit the team together' and Wharton's your man.  I am absolutely baffled by your apparent indifference to Wharton.

• Like 3

I'd say playing 4231 like this would be ideal for England

-                      Pickford

Walker      Stones     Guehi     ????

Rice       Wharton

Saka      Bellingham    Palmer

Kane

We have a lot of good players, but we need to settle on a first choice XI and bench and really really work on getting them to play as a unit - play the same players give or take every game. Our issue will be if piss around chopping and changing every game over the next two years and rock up at the world cup still without a clear idea of what our best team is and not knowing how to play together.

To lead is to decide... 

• Like 3