BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

I thought that was quite decent and with some pace but yes over passing.

Gomes very tidy and progressive. Williams got better as the game progressed.

Bossed possession and most stats but end product still missing so far.

I was at Wembley to see us score 5 v Finland way back, don't think so tonight plus Finland are a danger on the break.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I thought that was quite decent and with some pace but yes over passing.

Gomes very tidy and progressive. Williams got better as the game progressed.

Bossed possession and most stats but end product still missing so far.

I was at Wembley to see us score 5 v Finland way back, don't think so tonight plus Finland are a danger on the break.

Williams?

Pretty good half - quite enjoyable to watch. England played at a much higher tempo than under Southgate and it was good to see 2 wingers on show - when was the last time that happened? Grealish playing well underlining the daft decision not to take him to the Euros

• Downvote 1

Im not sure what anyone is getting out of that to be honest.

A slow, dull game played at testimonial pace where the players somewhat went through the motions in front of an eery Wembley but could rely on the fact that they obviously are considerably better individually than a very poor Finland side.

With so many absentees, the questions regarding how the balance of the team will look once the likes of Bellingham, Foden and Palmer are available again remain. Gordon gives us something totally different but his pull backs are often blocked and he is not close the same quality as those 3 mentioned. Will Carsley/ideally a proper manager be willing to stick with him/someone similar and not try to stick too many of our best players in the same team?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure what anyone is getting out of that to be honest.

A slow, dull game played at testimonial pace where the players somewhat went through the motions in front of an eery Wembley but could rely on the fact that they obviously are considerably better individually than a very poor Finland side.

With so many absentees, the questions regarding how the balance of the team will look once the likes of Bellingham, Foden and Palmer are available again remain. Gordon gives us something totally different but his pull backs are often blocked and he is not close the same quality as those 3 mentioned. Will Carsley/ideally a proper manager be willing to stick with him/someone similar and not try to stick too many of our best players in the same team?

I thought it had alot of promise.  At least we have a gameplan. Much more emphasis on attack

Just now, roverandout said:

I thought it had alot of promise.  At least we have a gameplan. Much more emphasis on attack

It was standard fare for a game like this. Nothing riding on it, flat atmosphere, very slow football and England just having far more individual quality than a very poor Finland side. 

Didnt see anything noticeably different to home games under Southgate. Not that I expect such a sudden difference, but that is what you tend to get in these games. Thank god the internationals are over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Couldn't have less though could we really?

How much more emphasis? 10% , possibly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Don’t think Wembley helps, just seems such a soulless place, especially midweek.

Playing football for England! Everybody's dream and give 110% wouldn't you?

Obviously not.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It was standard fare for a game like this. Nothing riding on it, flat atmosphere, very slow football and England just having far more individual quality than a very poor Finland side. 

Didnt see anything noticeably different to home games under Southgate. Not that I expect such a sudden difference, but that is what you tend to get in these games. Thank god the internationals are over.

These international games will always be the same. They are just replacing these pointless friendlies. 

Rice playing as box to box midfielder and Grealish as a Ten as the differences

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Don’t think Wembley helps, just seems such a soulless place, especially midweek.

Think playing someone else like Anfield or Old Trafford would be better atmosphere wise. 

• Like 1

We had some great night at Wembley for friendly internationals back in the day. There were far fewer matches so it was much more of an occasion and the old ground always seemed to be rocking with fans singing and enjoying themselves and getting behind the national team. I enjoyed the game tonight and thought Carsley's England was a big improvement on Southgate's but Wembley was half empty and seemed like a morgue compared with the great days. Sad. I blame the Champions League

• Like 2

A half empty Wembley?

It really was half empty for that WC qualifier back in '84, just 47,000 ish bothered.

I thought last night was more watchable that many for quite a while and it wasn't all slow walking shite. That's a false narrative on here. Fresh faces helped.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

I had one eye on the first half and watched the second half and found it extremely boring as we laboured painfully to overcome a really poor Finnish side.

I really hope Carsley doesn't get the job, I'm not sure what we're supposed to learn about his abilities from us knocking over a succession of poor sides in the Nations League.

Never take one pass when six will do is obviously his motto. Like watching paint dry.

• Like 5

No mention of Finland playing 10 at the back? I do understand that the obvious spoils the narrative.

I just wish that despite dominating the game, scoring 2 very good goals, that we would shoot from distance more often and there is too much passing for the sake of it or must simply opting out of responsibility.

A comfortable win in a weak group.

• Like 1