BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Just now, K-Hod said:

Thought Bowen has played well since coming on tbf.

Tbf my issue was less with Bowen himself, but more the change that was made, Foden was clearly the winger that needed to be hooked.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Tbf my issue was less with Bowen himself, but more the change that was made, Foden was clearly the winger that needed to be hooked.

I really rate Foden, but I think he’s been dreadful tonight.
I guess everyone is allowed an off day tbf. Reckon Palmer might start next game.

1 minute ago, RTM08 said:

Mainoo for Bellingham. Well, the subs have shown that Southgate has no desire to be adventurous this tournament, even with talent available.

It’s international football. It’s not the same as Foden playing a blinder against Burnley or Brentford. As a nation we’ve always overhyped our players. Our players on the whole are no better than Germany, Italy, Spain and France. 

2 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

It’s international football. It’s not the same as Foden playing a blinder against Burnley or Brentford. As a nation we’ve always overhyped our players. Our players on the whole are no better than Germany, Italy, Spain and France. 

But, on paper they are better than Serbia, who have been by far the better team. This whole performance has been rancid.

7 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Mainoo for Bellingham. Well, the subs have shown that Southgate has no desire to be adventurous this tournament, even with talent available.

If we win the Euros does it really matter how we play. 

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I really rate Foden, but I think he’s been dreadful tonight.
I guess everyone is allowed an off day tbf. Reckon Palmer might start next game.

He's being played out of position. He's reached higher levels in the middle this season than he ever has on the left.

1 minute ago, RTM08 said:

But, on paper they are better than Serbia, who have been by far the better team. This whole performance has been rancid.

Southgate’s a cautious coach, but I’m not sure our players are that great, with a few notable exceptions. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If we win the Euros does it really matter how we play. 

Not at all, but play like that against any half decent side and they'll put 4 or 5 past us. 

• Backroom
Posted (edited)

Hopefully that's our worst performance in this tournament, as we won't be going very far otherwise. Decent first 25 minutes, for a Southgate team anyway, followed by a very disappointing rest of the match. Serbia will be kicking themselves for not getting anything out of that, but if they're being honest they'll have to admit they weren't particularly good either. 

I don't feel like our system gets anywhere near the best out of our current set of players. Definitely feels like it's time for a change, fresh blood at coaching level as well as at playing level. Think a McKenna or even Howe would make us into a pretty exciting team. 

Still, it is what it is for this tournament. Maybe Gareth will drag us over the line with this functional, dreary style of play. If he does then fair play. If not then let's try something different for 2026. 

Back to the here and now in 2024, three points is three points. We held on, we move on. Improvement needed but we're off and running. 

Edited by DE.

Bellingham is our only actual world class player. He's going to be ridiculous in a few years time.

Some really poor performances tonight, Kane, TAA & Foden in particular.

Rice did the work of 2 players for the majority and had a decent game and Guehi was impressive.

Only important thing is getting the win on the opening day and we are now in a position especially considering the current format where we have a foot in the last 16 already.

But the performance was really poor. We just dont have the ability to control the game. It was just endless hoofing the ball up to Kane against 3 big defenders. Foden is a totally different player when managed by Southgate.

1 minute ago, Gav said:

England always warm into a tournament and tonight was no different. Plenty to work on, first win in the bag.

That's how I'm looking at it. Germany used all their goals up against Scotland. We've got plenty more left to spend! 

Joking aside its how you finish it's not how you start. I think we'll play much better when we're not playing against 11 brick shithouses 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

He's being played out of position. He's reached higher levels in the middle this season than he ever has on the left.

I think Foden hardly touched the ball in the last third, in the second half - most of his work was around the half-way line. Work for Southgate to do to give his flair players a platform to perform.