BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Thought i would join the England game conversation! I just don't understand Gareth selection. We have on paper the best team in the Euros and the selection to me is just not correct. We can't play Foden on the left he just doesn't suit that position. Guehi i was delighted with! I feel very relaxed with him there. Come the next game I would love to see: 

-----------Pickford----------

Walker--Stones--Guehi--Trippier

---------Bellingham----Rice----

Saka--------Foden-----Gordon/Eze/Palmer

--------------Kane-----------

I think Bellingham so much more added steel to the defence being back there. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

After we reached the final of Euros at the last attempt with this 'negative football', the first final in over 50yrs and we kept a clean sheet last night, I'm not sure my social circle is the problem Exiled 🤣 

But seriously, it does go some way to explaining why some people are not happy to beat Serbia 1-0.

You mean after we bottled the final at Wembley against a mediocre Italian side?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You might need to widen your social circle.

The fans I speak to say that the defence isn't good enough and Southgate is too negative.

Guehi is a proper defender

18 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

A very very good Italian side, the best side in Europe in fact.

It was disappointing to lose, especially after the start we made, but to call them mediocre is way off the mark.

Edited by Gav

The football has been decent so far but I think the standard of commentary and punditry is generally awful. It's almost like some of the pundits are talking to people who have never watched football before such are some of the patronising, banal comments. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Italy were the best team in the tournament and stronger than in England in every position other than maybe attack (and even there, Chiesa was one of the players of the tournament).

Edited by frosty

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the belgians don`t appear to have a plan and often like our rovers,look like they`ve only just met each other

Has "Niall Ennis" put on even more weight? His finishing has remained the same.

• Like 1

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, matt83 said:

This American woman isn’t going away is she. She is the 2024 equivalent of the vuvuzela. 

I fully disagree with that goal being ruled out but she’s been spot on with her analysis and gives a concise view of the impending decision based on the current rules 

Much much better than former English refs that offer ‘insight’ in my view 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC71 said:

Do we need Trippier to offer RB cover when we've got Gomez and Trent who could cover Walker - arguably more proficiently? 

You see I’d rather have Trippier at RB in that system then Gomez or Trent so that’s where we’re going to disagree here.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If discussion was as straightforward as just either win, draw or lose, it would be pretty boring.

But that is what tournament football is all about. 

The win is obviously the important part but I felt like the tactics were counterproductive and negative and played into the Serbian's hands. Against better sides, I fear that we could come unstuck.

The tactics changed cos of Serbia changed their tactics and pushed on us further up. 

You keep using cliches such as slow starters and comparing Kane to Shearer but using Kane as a battering ram seems again like not the way to get the best out of him.

Its not a cliches but actually facts. I watched Shearer in his best playing days and he was my favourite football player ever. I have great memories him. Kane played that role yesterday that what we needed. He didn't complained or moan but put the team first and did what was required of him. The game required it. You adapt to the game situation. From your opinion you don't but stick with playing the same way and take too many risks. 

We have technical players in attacking areas yet not long after going one up our tactics seemed to change to just sitting in and going long and it didnt work, making the last hour much more hard work than it should have been.

Out tactics changed cos Serbia pushed further up and pressed higher. Watched the game back and you will see this. 

You have given Serbia zero credit for their performance and changing tactics. 

England did shown that we matched the physical approach and changed our we want to play. Guehi was very good, Rice very good. Walker good. Pickford was there when we needed him, Kane shown his different side to his game. Bellingham class. Saka good first half. 

Listen to what Ian Wright has just said on ITV before the Austria and France game 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

The trouble is Southgate is too negative and struck by big player syndrome - our problem is the whole is NOT greater than the sum of its individual parts.

I don't agree there. Southgate has produced England best tournaments results since 1996 and 1990 before that. Southgate is a very good manager. 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I would go:

Pickford / Walker, Stones, Guehi, Gomez / Rice, Wharton / Bellingham/ Saka, Kane, Eze

Gomez is a much, much better lb than Trippier and played there in 20ish games or so for Liverpool this season.

TAA is not an international class midfielder and gives you no control in midfield whereas Wharton would.

Foden has done feck all in an England shirt whilst Eze has been on fire for Palcace and Wharton knows his runs, game etc.

I wouldn't pick Gomez, Wharton or Eze at all. I would still Foden and play him in the 10 role with Rice and Bellingham in centre midfield with Gordon or Palmer on the left. 

TAA will play more in centre midfield for Liverpool this season if my opinion

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

Thought i would join the England game conversation! I just don't understand Gareth selection. We have on paper the best team in the Euros and the selection to me is just not correct. We can't play Foden on the left he just doesn't suit that position. Guehi i was delighted with! I feel very relaxed with him there. Come the next game I would love to see: 

-----------Pickford----------

Walker--Stones--Guehi--Trippier

---------Bellingham----Rice----

Saka--------Foden-----Gordon/Eze/Palmer

--------------Kane-----------

I think Bellingham so much more added steel to the defence being back there. 

England will have to improve from what I saw last night, if they are to become serious contenders.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't pick Gomez, Wharton or Eze at all. I would still Foden and play him in the 10 role with Rice and Bellingham in centre midfield with Gordon or Palmer on the left. 

I didn't see the game last night but by all accounts Foden was very quiet again, 30 plus caps for England and I struggle to think of any stand out performance from him. Also in Bellingham we have arguably the best player in the world who scored the winner last night, why on earth would you move him from his best position and waste his talent.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But that is what tournament football is all about. 

The tactics changed cos of Serbia changed their tactics and pushed on us further up. 

Its not a cliches but actually facts. I watched Shearer in his best playing days and he was my favourite football player ever. I have great memories him. Kane played that role yesterday that what we needed. He didn't complained or moan but put the team first and did what was required of him. The game required it. You adapt to the game situation. From your opinion you don't but stick with playing the same way and take too many risks. 

Out tactics changed cos Serbia pushed further up and pressed higher. Watched the game back and you will see this. 

You have given Serbia zero credit for their performance and changing tactics. 

England did shown that we matched the physical approach and changed our we want to play. Guehi was very good, Rice very good. Walker good. Pickford was there when we needed him, Kane shown his different side to his game. Bellingham class. Saka good first half. 

Listen to what Ian Wright has just said on ITV before the Austria and France game 

I don't agree there. Southgate has produced England best tournaments results since 1996 and 1990 before that. Southgate is a very good manager. 

TAA will play more in centre midfield for Liverpool this season if my opinion

on his performance last night he won`t

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The football has been decent so far but I think the standard of commentary and punditry is generally awful. It's almost like some of the pundits are talking to people who have never watched football before such are some of the patronising, banal comments. 

Gary Neville just said Gareth Southgate is the best England manager for 60-70 years. That takes us to 1954 to 1964.
We won the World Cup in 1966 with Sir Alf you total tit Neville. 

Edited by Ianrally
  • Like 2