BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But that is what tournament football is all about. 

The tactics changed cos of Serbia changed their tactics and pushed on us further up. 

Its not a cliches but actually facts. I watched Shearer in his best playing days and he was my favourite football player ever. I have great memories him. Kane played that role yesterday that what we needed. He didn't complained or moan but put the team first and did what was required of him. The game required it. You adapt to the game situation. From your opinion you don't but stick with playing the same way and take too many risks. 

Out tactics changed cos Serbia pushed further up and pressed higher. Watched the game back and you will see this. 

You have given Serbia zero credit for their performance and changing tactics. 

England did shown that we matched the physical approach and changed our we want to play. Guehi was very good, Rice very good. Walker good. Pickford was there when we needed him, Kane shown his different side to his game. Bellingham class. Saka good first half. 

Listen to what Ian Wright has just said on ITV before the Austria and France game 

I don't agree there. Southgate has produced England best tournaments results since 1996 and 1990 before that. Southgate is a very good manager. 

I wouldn't pick Gomez, Wharton or Eze at all. I would still Foden and play him in the 10 role with Rice and Bellingham in centre midfield with Gordon or Palmer on the left. 

TAA will play more in centre midfield for Liverpool this season if my opinion

Why would I watch the game back? Once was enough, entertainment was scarce and there are 3 games a day of entertaining football that I can spend my time watching.

The game became a stodgy game of long  ball, partly because Serbia wanted that as it suits them. But partially because Southgate then clearly authorised a procession of long kicks up to Kane against 3 centre backs. We should have had the conviction to continue to play the ball on th ground because initially Serbia couldnt handle it.

I dont really care what Wright said. Im sick of the pre match analysis of every game just a constant discussion about England when I want to hear about the game I am about to see so I tend to stop listening.

Even if Trent might or might not (neither of us could possibly know what Slot plans to do) he hasnt played there very much at all prior to the tournament and I dont think it worked particularly well. Its a big ask as its a totally different position. We are struggling for balance in the midfield and that Rice partner is a real issue. I think Wharton would give the best balance but again the question is whether hes ready at that level.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Really interesting that you focus on the half sentence at the start and completely ignore the paragraph that explained my reasoning for him being poor as England manager

I don't agree that Southgate has been a poor England manager at all. 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would I watch the game back? Once was enough, entertainment was scarce and there are 3 games a day of entertaining football that I can spend my time watching.

Then you see I was right. 

The game became a stodgy game of long  ball, partly because Serbia wanted that as it suits them. But partially because Southgate then clearly authorised a procession of long kicks up to Kane against 3 centre backs. We should have had the conviction to continue to play the ball on th ground because initially Serbia couldnt handle it.

Initially instead Serbia pushed up higher and we made a couple of mistakes by given the ball away in dangerous areas

I dont really care what Wright said. Im sick of the pre match analysis of every game just a constant discussion about England when I want to hear about the game I am about to see so I tend to stop listening.

If you fed up of English TV channels coverage our national team, change the channel over. No one is forcing you to watch it. Wright, Neville and Keane were spot on with their comments about England. 

Even if Trent might or might not (neither of us could possibly know what Slot plans to do) he hasnt played there very much at all prior to the tournament and I dont think it worked particularly well. Its a big ask as its a totally different position. We are struggling for balance in the midfield and that Rice partner is a real issue. I think Wharton would give the best balance but again the question is whether hes ready at that level.

Either play Bellingham or Gallagher next to Rice. very simple 

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I wonder how much ITV are paying this Yankee woman to state the bleeding obvious and tell us what we have already seen.

I think she’s there to teach Lee Dixon the rules.

Can you tell he’s annoying me 😁

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I wonder how much ITV are paying this Yankee woman to state the bleeding obvious and tell us what we have already seen.

Americans just need to fuck off from our game.

Go and concentrate on your own shit sports.

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

I think the refereeing has been decent so far but this fella has lost total control.

He's been all over the place all night, though both teams' antics aren't exactly helping matters. 

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Do city make him look better than he is or does Southgate make him look worse?

He’s playing for probably the best club side in the world. It’s a lot easier to shine when your team is far better than the opposition as Citeh are most weeks. 

International football is a different proposition entirely. Serbia were very good at closing down the space. They have technically very god players who make their living at clubs like Juve.  They aren’t mugs. 

And let’s be honest, Foden got roughed up early on and didn’t fancy for the rest of the first half. 2nd half he improved a bit but he was still poor. Compare with Bellingham who also got roughed up but stuck his chest out and gave it back. Proper player. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

France didn't wow me. More to come from them I reckon. 

They were less composed than England at times yet people are up their arses left right and centre. (Not having a pop at u)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

He’s playing for probably the best club side in the world. It’s a lot easier to shine when your team is far better than the opposition as Citeh are most weeks. 

International football is a different proposition entirely. Serbia were very good at closing down the space. They have technically very god players who make their living at clubs like Juve.  They aren’t mugs. 

And let’s be honest, Foden got roughed up early on and didn’t fancy for the rest of the first half. 2nd half he improved a bit but he was still poor. Compare with Bellingham who also got roughed up but stuck his chest out and gave it back. Proper player. 

Premier League players get free kicks at the drop of hat. In this comp it’s much more physical. Guys like Foden and Saka have got used to being looked after playing in the Prem, you have to fight fire with fire to succeed in the Euros.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

France didn't wow me. More to come from them I reckon. 

They weren’t firing on all cylinders tonight but they carry the most goal scoring threat of all the teams I’ve seen so far. How Mbappe missed that chance in the second half I don’t know. Austria battled hard but they wouldn’t have scored if they’d have played whilst midnight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Premier League players get free kicks at the drop of hat. In this comp it’s much more physical. Guys like Foden and Saka have got used to being looked after playing in the Prem, you have to fight fire with fire to succeed in the Euros.

Totally agree. From some of the games I’ve watched the teams are much more physical (to the point of giving away blatant fouls) but seem to play with much more intensity than England. We tend to be a little to deliberate at times.

Rice definitely needs someone beside him who is comfortable on the ball and can pick out that killer pass. Personally I don’t think Wharton is ready to play at this level just yet but hell, he may just be a success. 

• Like 1

If I was being paid several hundred grand a week I'd learn to kick a ball with both feet.

I did it one summer kicking a ball against my garage wall and got my left foot to a reasonable standard. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

If I was being paid several hundred grand a week I'd learn to kick a ball with both feet.

I did it one summer kicking a ball against my garage wall and got my left foot to a reasonable standard. 

It’s a bit of a mystery. I remember seeing two Rovers players - one was Marshall, I think the other was Carney - in that comp were you have to score direct from a corner from each corner flag in an empty goal in as few kicks as you can. Both of them did it with a left foot shot from the right wing and a right foot shot from the left wing in about 3 attempts in total ! I reckoned I was two footed but it was have taken me a few more attempts I think.

I wasn’t Pedersen’s biggest fan but he was really two footed.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I got my left foot by breaking my right leg (at Brockhall before Rovers bought the old hospital grounds) 

18 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Similar here. Naturally right footed so from an early age, encouraged by reading books on how to play the game, I self trained my left foot. It was not as good as my right but I could use my left to pass accurately, cross on the run, take a corner and hit a decent shot.

I think the books were by Charles Buchan, football training manual type.

I played organised football from starting grammar school until my early 30s when overseas work  interfered and always gave the left foot extra attention in training.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't agree that Southgate has been a poor England manager at all. 

Then you see I was right. 

Initially instead Serbia pushed up higher and we made a couple of mistakes by given the ball away in dangerous areas

If you fed up of English TV channels coverage our national team, change the channel over. No one is forcing you to watch it. Wright, Neville and Keane were spot on with their comments about England. 

Either play Bellingham or Gallagher next to Rice. very simple 

Ah, the old no one is forcing you to watch it routine.

The France Austria game was arguably the pick of the first round of fixtures, an important game in a difficult group that was very interesting.

There is plenty of England focus and discussion, and I would understand if Neville, Keane and Wright are desperate to give their take, to see a quick 5 minute debate before then focusing on the actual game at hand. 

When they do talk about whatever game they are covering, its always a bit of chat about 1 or 2 individuals. France are packed full of quality, yet everything is just about Mbappe. And with Austria, in the absence of clearly anyone bothering to do any research, just a minute on how Sabitzer didnt play much at United. They are a good side with lots of good Bundesliga players, and the form under Austria has seen Ragnick come close to the Bayern job. How about more insight into the actual game they are covering and less repetitive England waffle.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

They were less composed than England at times yet people are up their arses left right and centre. (Not having a pop at u)

I dont get this obsession about comparing everyone to England, it must really hinder your enjoyment of the overall tournament and some really enjoyable matches.

FWIW, I thought that France looked more in control against an Austria side who are a level up in quality from Serbia. France never look to dominate the ball but they are packed full of pace and energy. There were questions marks over their defence coming into the tournament with Saliba expected to be a sub but clearly the right call was made as he is a brilliant player and showed that tonight. I was surprised that Kante started but his spell in Saudi Arabia didnt show, looks like he is still playing at the top.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

I got my left foot by breaking my right leg (at Brockhall before Rovers bought the old hospital grounds) 

Shit I accidentally broke someone’s leg on there about 40/45 years ago. I hope that wasn’t you pal? If it was I’m so sorry.