BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

The 3 games today again were enjoyable with only the England so far in the tournament being boring.

Romania were a big surprise, Ukraine have far better individual pedigree but Romania were excellent. Belgium battered Slovakia for long spells but after that early Doku mistake, it just took a mixture of luck and some brilliant defending to cause a big early shock. And the France Austria game I would say was the highest level of any game in terms of quality on both sides, Germany and Spain have stood out as looking very strong but the former were obviously against a terrible Scotland and Croatia looked very leggy and lacking quality at CB and dynamism in attack.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Belgium battered Slovakia for long spells but after that early Doku mistake, it just took a mixture of luck and some brilliant defending to cause a big early shock. 

Plus an absolutely shocking VAR call to disallow that second Lukaku goal. That really was a joke.

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Plus an absolutely shocking VAR call to disallow that second Lukaku goal. That really was a joke.

The issue seems to be with the rule rather than allowing the ref a chance to view it again.

I think it was harsh.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ah, the old no one is forcing you to watch it routine.

The France Austria game was arguably the pick of the first round of fixtures, an important game in a difficult group that was very interesting.

There is plenty of England focus and discussion, and I would understand if Neville, Keane and Wright are desperate to give their take, to see a quick 5 minute debate before then focusing on the actual game at hand. 

When they do talk about whatever game they are covering, its always a bit of chat about 1 or 2 individuals. France are packed full of quality, yet everything is just about Mbappe. And with Austria, in the absence of clearly anyone bothering to do any research, just a minute on how Sabitzer didnt play much at United. They are a good side with lots of good Bundesliga players, and the form under Austria has seen Ragnick come close to the Bayern job. How about more insight into the actual game they are covering and less repetitive England waffle.

I dont get this obsession about comparing everyone to England, it must really hinder your enjoyment of the overall tournament and some really enjoyable matches.

FWIW, I thought that France looked more in control against an Austria side who are a level up in quality from Serbia. France never look to dominate the ball but they are packed full of pace and energy. There were questions marks over their defence coming into the tournament with Saliba expected to be a sub but clearly the right call was made as he is a brilliant player and showed that tonight. I was surprised that Kante started but his spell in Saudi Arabia didnt show, looks like he is still playing at the top.

They’ve got pace to spare all over the team. Mbappe, Dembele and Kante made their opponents look like they were running in quicksand. That Hernandez at left back is seriously quick also.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’ve got pace to spare all over the team. Mbappe, Dembele and Kante made their opponents look like they were running in quicksand. That Hernandez at left back is seriously quick also.

They seem to have moved away from in previous tournaments where they played Griezmann high up off Giroud. Having him deeper and Thuram adding additional pace just meant they had pace right across and especially in the knockout rounds that will be so difficult to stop.

They also have Coman, Barcola and Kolo Muani on the bench as well as Tchouameni, Fofana and Camavinga so plenty more pace and energy when they want to change it up. They have the best balance in the tournament with a full squad of players whereby you swap a player and they can carry on as normal.

Mbappe is booked in for emergency surgery on his broken nose. He is the one they really need to keep fit because as much as they have good alternatives, there isnt another Mbappe.

Usually you see players with a mask on soon after such an injury so I am guessing that is a possibility.

40 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Shit I accidentally broke someone’s leg on there about 40/45 years ago. I hope that wasn’t you pal? If it was I’m so sorry.

I don't know if you can say it was accidental when you jump in studs up with two feet.

To me Trent looked utterly lost. He didn't have a clue where he was meant to be positionally. He's a wonderful player but a CM he's not. He'll always get one or two on the highlight reel as technically his long passes are superb. Unfortunately you then get the pundits waxing lyrical about that being the reason he's in there. 

What I saw though was a team with no balance. Nobody to make things tick, being good under pressure, when to play short, when to play long. We had one player in Bellingham grab the game by the scruff of the neck which somewhat bailed us out and people screaming that Foden was awful. It's no wonder when we fail to control a game with meaningful possession (not just passing around at the back). Wharton is tailor made for this system. I guarantee if he were in there the players around him would begin to shine. That's what he does. He controls games whilst finding players in small pockets with forward passes. Trent and his Hollywood passes are going to mean we struggle in this tournament. Southgate is doing the age old England manager trick of shoehorning the big names into his side. If not Wharton then I'd at least like him to give Gallagher or Mainoo a go as they are actual centre midfielders. 

I wouldn't drop Bellingham back there as it makes no sense to move our best player away from where he just got a man of the match performance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Mbappe is booked in for emergency surgery on his broken nose. He is the one they really need to keep fit because as much as they have good alternatives, there isnt another Mbappe.

Usually you see players with a mask on soon after such an injury so I am guessing that is a possibility.

He's a great player but a classless individual. And a cheat. Knows nowt about sportsmanship. Plus he's French. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The issue seems to be with the rule rather than allowing the ref a chance to view it again.

I think it was harsh.

I think it’s another example of how they’ve overly complicated the rules.

Personally I’d make any contact with the hand (deliberate or not*) a free kick unless the contact was caused by being fouled.

* there doesn’t need to be intent for a foul so why should there have to be for handball?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ah, the old no one is forcing you to watch it routine.

The France Austria game was arguably the pick of the first round of fixtures, an important game in a difficult group that was very interesting.

There is plenty of England focus and discussion, and I would understand if Neville, Keane and Wright are desperate to give their take, to see a quick 5 minute debate before then focusing on the actual game at hand. 

When they do talk about whatever game they are covering, its always a bit of chat about 1 or 2 individuals. France are packed full of quality, yet everything is just about Mbappe. And with Austria, in the absence of clearly anyone bothering to do any research, just a minute on how Sabitzer didnt play much at United. They are a good side with lots of good Bundesliga players, and the form under Austria has seen Ragnick come close to the Bayern job. How about more insight into the actual game they are covering and less repetitive England waffle.

I dont get this obsession about comparing everyone to England, it must really hinder your enjoyment of the overall tournament and some really enjoyable matches.

FWIW, I thought that France looked more in control against an Austria side who are a level up in quality from Serbia. France never look to dominate the ball but they are packed full of pace and energy. There were questions marks over their defence coming into the tournament with Saliba expected to be a sub but clearly the right call was made as he is a brilliant player and showed that tonight. I was surprised that Kante started but his spell in Saudi Arabia didnt show, looks like he is still playing at the top.

Austria didn't possess the level of threat of mitrovic or vlahovic 

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maddest thing about Theo Hernandez is that he’s only playing due to his brother Lucas tearing his ACL. Two of the best left back me in the world growing up in the same house, crazy. 

27 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Maddest thing about Theo Hernandez is that he’s only playing due to his brother Lucas tearing his ACL. Two of the best left back me in the world growing up in the same house, crazy. 

Lucas plays more as a centreback 

Last game at the Euros for me last night.... Düsseldorf I remember from visiting a friend in NW Germany 15 years ago as a gritty industrial place... But I must have got it confused with somewhere else as its an absolutely gorgeous city on the banks of the Rhine. Lovely old town centre, has a Japan town area with great food, beautiful parks and a really charming (but loooong) walk along the river to the stadium.

Stadium is top notch.... As with a lot for the tournament built for the world cup in 2006 and reused. I dont think I've seen anything at the euros that Germany have had to build specifically for this tournament... Smart.

In terms of the game - I thought Austria were fantastic in defence and midfield. They beat the French press time and time again, passing the ball around neatly. Won the ball from the French well. Though Laimer was brilliant.... Unfortunately they lacked quality up front to finish the decent opportunities they made. 

France on the other hand were very poor up front and midfield but showed their quality in defence.. The recovery pace on its own when the other team is breaking is a sight to see.

Probably Id say France played worse than England, and could easily have drawn the game. Mbappe missed a sitter, but then Austria spurned some golden chances. France only really got the game properly under control around the 70th minute.

While obviously France have not hit their rhythm other teams will be looking at them thinking maybe they can be beat like the Swiss did in 2021....

Germany and Spain have set the early pace with France and England some way off. Will be interesting to see Portugal today, and how they get going.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Last game at the Euros for me last night.... Düsseldorf I remember from visiting a friend in NW Germany 15 years ago as a gritty industrial place... But I must have got it confused with somewhere else as its an absolutely gorgeous city on the banks of the Rhine. Lovely old town centre, has a Japan town area with great food, beautiful parks and a really charming (but loooong) walk along the river to the stadium.

Stadium is top notch.... As with a lot for the tournament built for the world cup in 2006 and reused. I dont think I've seen anything at the euros that Germany have had to build specifically for this tournament... Smart.

In terms of the game - I thought Austria were fantastic in defence and midfield. They beat the French press time and time again, passing the ball around neatly. Won the ball from the French well. Though Laimer was brilliant.... Unfortunately they lacked quality up front to finish the decent opportunities they made. 

France on the other hand were very poor up front and midfield but showed their quality in defence.. The recovery pace on its own when the other team is breaking is a sight to see.

Probably Id say France played worse than England, and could easily have drawn the game. Mbappe missed a sitter, but then Austria spurned some golden chances. France only really got the game properly under control around the 70th minute.

While obviously France have not hit their rhythm other teams will be looking at them thinking maybe they can be beat like the Swiss did in 2021....

Germany and Spain have set the early pace with France and England some way off. Will be interesting to see Portugal today, and how they get going.

How have you found the transport Joey? A lot of talk is about how poor the coordination has been, leaving fans stranded or with several mile long walks to the ground

It doesn't sound very German to me.........🤣

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Roy Keane backing Phil Foden and slamming people suggesting Foden should be dropped. 

So what!?

Yet to see Foden do anything in an England shirt.  History is littered with players remarkable at club level but unable to make an impact on the international stage.  Foden  is one of those and should be benched.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Either play Bellingham or Gallagher next to Rice. very simple 

Our one seriously world class player who puts the fear of God into the opposition and you want to move him from his natural position in order to accommodate Foden!?  Utter lunacy.

As for Gallagher, something of a headless  chicken who is unable to control midfield/ a game like Wharton can.

If Wharton played for a so called 'big fashionable PL' team, the pundits would be clamouring for his inclusion and you too would jump on the bandwagon.

Edited by Mercer

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

So what!?

Yet to see Foden do anything in an England shirt.  History is littered with players remarkable at club level but unable to make an impact on the international stage.  Foden  is one of those and should be benched.

Our one seriously world class player who puts the fear of God into the opposition and you want to move him from his natural position in order to accommodate Foden!?  Utter lunacy.

As for Gallagher, something of a headless  chicken who is unable to control midfield/ a game like Wharton can.

If Wharton played for a so called 'big fashionable PL' team, the pundits would be clamouring for his inclusion and you too would jump on the bandwagon.

Kane and walker (possibly rice too) aren't world class?

9 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I don't know if you can say it was accidental when you jump in studs up with two feet.

Ha ha definitely not me then, this one was a pretty innocuous challenge in all honesty.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

How have you found the transport Joey? A lot of talk is about how poor the coordination has been, leaving fans stranded or with several mile long walks to the ground

It doesn't sound very German to me.........🤣

Its all been very very good... Loads of trains and Trams.. whoever is planning the fabled Northern Powerhouse rail could take a close look at North Rhine Westphalia's rail and tram network. In the whole region of 10 million + people your virtually never more than a 10 min walk from a station and they were very quick. The combination of city centres (Cologne-Dusseldorf-Essen-Gelsenkirchen-Dortmund) is quite similar to what we need to do with Liverpool-Manchester-Leeds-Hull and surrounding towns... All through stations, no need to change, and you come out in the middle of the city.

https://images.app.goo.gl/n41zWGdgR8xY42JT9

In terms of the issues transporting fans I think its been more a problem from siting the fan parks too far away from the stadium and massively under estimating the amount of Scots and English who would travel without tickets. The actual trains etc have worked well in our experience.

(I did get a small tear of pride when on a train from Essen to Dortmund I realised that it was owned and operated by National Express a wholely British owned company based in Birmingham. Never thought id see a British company operate trains in Germany!)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Ha ha definitely not me then, this one was a pretty innocuous challenge in all honesty.

Tell it to the judge 😂😂.

I can vouch for oldjamfan1's sportsmanship being Lineker like. Ability wise it was a different story 😂.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

So what!?

Currently the team is built around Bellingham being allowed to do what he wants and Kane being undroppable.

It's not wonder we're struggling in attack.

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

Lucas plays more as a centreback 

Think it's been pretty even between whether he plays LB or CB, usually plays LB for the national team. Went to Bayern as a LB but played more as a CB there, played more as a LB at PSG this year before his injury. My point still remains that France's first and second choice left backs are from the same family.

• Like 1