BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Last game at the Euros for me last night.... Düsseldorf I remember from visiting a friend in NW Germany 15 years ago as a gritty industrial place... But I must have got it confused with somewhere else as its an absolutely gorgeous city on the banks of the Rhine. Lovely old town centre, has a Japan town area with great food, beautiful parks and a really charming (but loooong) walk along the river to the stadium.

Stadium is top notch.... As with a lot for the tournament built for the world cup in 2006 and reused. I dont think I've seen anything at the euros that Germany have had to build specifically for this tournament... Smart.

In terms of the game - I thought Austria were fantastic in defence and midfield. They beat the French press time and time again, passing the ball around neatly. Won the ball from the French well. Though Laimer was brilliant.... Unfortunately they lacked quality up front to finish the decent opportunities they made. 

France on the other hand were very poor up front and midfield but showed their quality in defence.. The recovery pace on its own when the other team is breaking is a sight to see.

Probably Id say France played worse than England, and could easily have drawn the game. Mbappe missed a sitter, but then Austria spurned some golden chances. France only really got the game properly under control around the 70th minute.

While obviously France have not hit their rhythm other teams will be looking at them thinking maybe they can be beat like the Swiss did in 2021....

Germany and Spain have set the early pace with France and England some way off. Will be interesting to see Portugal today, and how they get going.

A good summary of the game. I'm glad that you had a good time. 

If Austria had a final ball France would have lost. They caused Mbappe and crew problems until the final 3rd, and the goal they conceded came from two sloppy Austrian passes gifting the ball back to France.

It's looking like Mbappe being out for the Netherlands game. They have enough quality in reserve to replace him, but they'll still miss him. 

So far there is no clear favourite. Germany would probably have put 3 or 4 past 11-man Scotland. Spain beat an ageing Croatia so it's hard to judge both.

Also, thanks for your observations on logistics. Germany's trains are good, yet I have met Germans who laugh that the thought of them being efficient. 

• Like 2

This is La La land stuff but if we did play 3/5 at the back, with Trent on the right as a wing back.  Could Wharton play as a wing back on the left? 

Passing range from fullbacks would be phenomenal and there'd be a bit more defensive cover.  

I’d be tempted to put Saka at left back, not ideal but possibly more balanced than having Tripper there.

Something like…

Pickford

Walker.         Guehi      Stones.      Saka

Rice.       Wharton

Palmer.          Bellingham.       Eze

Kane       

33 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’d be tempted to put Saka at left back, not ideal but possibly more balanced than having Tripper there.

Something like…

Pickford

Walker.         Guehi      Stones.      Saka

Rice.       Wharton

Palmer.          Bellingham.       Eze

Kane       

I do think a Rice-Wharton midfield duo would be very good. Whoever plays, they need a structure. It all felt rather ragged latterly versus Serbia, except for the defence that looked like a collective unit. The rest of the team looked like individuals doing their own thing.

The potential is there, if they can hold their nerve, sort out the middle and players like Kane can show some leadership. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Fair dos to Georgia for going gung ho to equalise. Not the highest quality game by any stretch but entertaining 

Disagree, there was some quality football in that game, goal of the tournament contenders, commitment, pace, skill, brilliant defending. All in horrendous conditions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Turkey v Georgia, what a game !

I love it when you watch a game not expecting much from it and it turns into a thriller.Both teams had plenty of players that were comfortable on the ball.I want both to go through and give us more games like that one.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I love it when you watch a game not expecting much from it and it turns into a thriller.Both teams had plenty of players that were comfortable on the ball.I want both to go through and give us more games like that one.

I've watched almost every game so far, benefits of working from home in tournament time. I can safely say the England game is the worst I've watched up to now....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mercer said:

So what!?

Yet to see Foden do anything in an England shirt.  History is littered with players remarkable at club level but unable to make an impact on the international stage.  Foden  is one of those and should be benched.

Our one seriously world class player who puts the fear of God into the opposition and you want to move him from his natural position in order to accommodate Foden!?  Utter lunacy.

He played in centre midfield loads in his international and club level. Plus no-one is saying Bellingham has sit next to Rice, he can forward loads from there but also Bellingham was dropping so far back to play next to Rice and TAA/Gallagher during the game. 

World class players we have 3. Foden, Kane and Bellingham. 

As for Gallagher, something of a headless  chicken who is unable to control midfield/ a game like Wharton can.

I want Gallagher in for exact what he does best, Box to box, pressing the ball, tackling 

If Wharton played for a so called 'big fashionable PL' team, the pundits would be clamouring for his inclusion and you too would jump on the bandwagon.

His time will come I'm sure but he isn't a starter for the Denmark, if we win the game then the last game, I would start him next to Rice cos we would be through anyway

19 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Shame I missed it. First game I've missed

Danny Murphy - ‘Great decision, foul just outside the box, no penalty’

Danny Murphy on same incident 3 seconds later ‘Great decision, booked him for simulation/diving’

Still a clueless **** robbing a living 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

I've watched almost every game so far, benefits of working from home in tournament time. I can safely say the England game is the worst I've watched up to now....

I watched the whole of the Turkey/Georgia game. I couldn't be bothered watching the last twenty minutes of the England debacle.

The speed of the semi automated VAR is brilliant. If that offside happened in the Premier League there would have been a good 5 minute wait whilst some halfwit at Stockley Park guesses where to draw some lines.

• Like 2

Danny Murphy as a co- commentator or a pundit is exactly as he was as a member of the Rovers. Full of shit.
How can it be that he makes a living from his inane mumblings? 

Edited by Ianrally
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Danny Murphy on same incident 3 seconds later ‘Great decision, booked him for simulation/diving’

Danny Murphy ‘What can these subs do? Bringing them on with only 3 minutes left’

Danny Murphy 2mins later ‘The subs have combined and scored what could be the winning goal’

Still a clueless **** robbing a living.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I was thinking the same, you could literally see the ref doing a dive action and the clown came out with that

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Can't stand Portugal 

Nor me, full of cheats like Winky Ronaldo and how was Fernandez not be given a card for the high boot in the Czech guys mouth. 

• Like 1

Arda Guler will go on to be a phenomenal footballer. Watched a bit of him before his move to Madrid and thought he looked excellent, they’ve taken a softly softly approach with him at Madrid but by Christ he announced himself to the wider football world last night 

• Like 2