BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

48 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If you are choosing between Kane and Foden then it is no choice. One has produced time and time again in an England shirt whereas the other has done little of note in nearly 40 games.

Kane looks like he is struggling with the back injury he had at the end of the season to me.

Foden since the last tournament has developed into a brilliant player, the best in the league.

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kane drops so deep there is no one running behind so either Kane has too high with Foden as the 10. 

I would play Bellingham next to Rice. As I have said Bellingham is dropping so deep then he might aswell play the 8 role. No-one says he has stay next to Rice but actually go forward and get up with Kane and Foden plus get into the box. We don't need 2 defensive midfielders

We need a left back with a natural left footed. We lack balance

Who cares? Only matters what happens at the tournament 

We do need a left footed left back and it is a big problem that he hasnt picked a single one. The whole squad lacks balance, 3 right backs and no fit left backs and too many number 10s. You could ask 5 different people and they would all have wildly different teams, that shouldnt be the case 2 games into a tournament.

With the imbalance at left back, it is important that we bring in some width I think on the left wing. Gordon should be given a start in the next game. It might suit Foden more coming in from the right knowing that the width on that side can come from Walker. Wharton should play next to Rice, Wharton can sit and dictate.

Bellingham has basically played as a striker all season. He does not have the positional discipline to play that deep especially when we face better teams and his main attribute is his ability to score goals and make a difference in the final third.

Mind you, all of our attacking players are being hindered by our shit manager. The tactics are terrible. No signs of any work on pressing, endless long balls from Pickford, wide men retreating really deep and no out ball.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We didn’t look anything like a team. What was Kane doing firing that blind pass out from left back straight into the danger zone ?  ? Even school kids are taught not to play passes like that. Why is he even there ?

Reminds me of the England side under, I think, Sven, when Beckham seemed to decide he would have a free role.

Southgate and his management have a huge job on their hands. The main thing is to sort out the centre of the midfield. If that, and Harry Kane's free role are sorted out, I think things should fall into place. It's an exceptionally young squad, it seems to me, so I don't expect them to go all the way, but they can do well if the balance is rectified.

Edit: I'm undecided but I think I would give the midfield to Rice and Bellingham and ask them to hold their positions and give the forward three licence to push up.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

You look at the best teams in the tournament, the likes of France and Spain. They have squads with excellent balance to them. They have settled teams but if you take 1 or 2 out, you can put a similar player in and the shape is unaffected. Spain were really impressive again tonight, full backs on the correct side, solid at the back, Rodri controlling the game with 2 technically gifted but athletic players either side, two brilliant quick wingers and then Morata who will never be a top class striker but provides a good balance.

4 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I was speculating to my Geordie mate that after this tournament a straight swap for Eddie Howe. He was quite irate about the hypothetical prospect of even appointing Southgate there. That got me thinking. Where next for him. No top premier league team will be happy with him as manager, I wouldn’t be that happy to see him at rovers (no money relying purely on tactical prowess) and he wouldn’t stoop this low anyway which means he’s looking at relegation fodder type prem league teams at best. 

A back room FA job.

1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

Reminds me of the England side under, I think, Sven, when Beckham seemed to decide he would have a free role.

Southgate and his management have a huge job on their hands. The main thing is to sort out the centre of the midfield. If that, and Harry Kane's free role are sorted out, I think things should fall into place. It's an exceptionally young squad, it seems to me, so I don't expect them to go all the way, but they can do well if the balance is rectified.

There are definitely similiarites to the Sven days. That squad had better players and certainly not the same level of blatant weaknesses in certain areas, but then we had loads of great centre backs and in particular central midfielders so just tried to squeze them all in.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Foden since the last tournament has developed into a brilliant player, the best in the league.

Yes for Man City in the Premier League. But for England in internationals he has not produced the goods.

• Like 2

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

A back room FA job.

Yep, he's been out of club management for 15 years and I don't see him returning to it once his England tenure ends. I think he'll just shift to another FA position. 

51 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Agreed - Foden every time and twice on match day.

Get Watkins on stretching the field. 

I would pick Kane. 

35 minutes ago, Mercer said:

MU fans will be hoping and praying Sir Jim doesn't go for Southgate when his England contract expires this year.

Our most talented group of players for years and years yet Southgate can't get the best out of them with his hopeless selections, formations and tactics.

Get Klopp appointed to give us passion, style and excitement.

Klopp? A German as England manager? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Can't understand how we went into this tournament as Favourites.

Watching the likes of Germany, Spain and even lesser teams, they move the ball so much quicker than we do and they shoot from anywhere.

We look pedestrian by comparison. I'd give Wharton his chance but I don't expect Southgate to. 

We plod on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Only Southgate could have this squad and be bemoaning the lose of Kalvin Phillips. It sums up his mindset as a manager.

Kalvin Phillips?

At this point Southgate must be saying stuff like that to deliberately wind people up because he's annoyed at the criticism he's (rightly) been receiving.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Kalvin Phillips?

At this point Southgate must be saying stuff like that to deliberately wind people up because he's annoyed at the criticism he's (rightly) been receiving.

Wharton’s got more ability in one leg than Phillips will ever have in his whole body.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nothing to do Wars. I just believe national team boss should the same nationality 

Surely it should be the best person for the job?

Hypothetically - Guardiola or Klopp or Howe or Potter?

Tough one!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We do need a left footed left back and it is a big problem that he hasnt picked a single one. The whole squad lacks balance, 3 right backs and no fit left backs and too many number 10s. You could ask 5 different people and they would all have wildly different teams, that shouldnt be the case 2 games into a tournament.

With the imbalance at left back, it is important that we bring in some width I think on the left wing. Gordon should be given a start in the next game. It might suit Foden more coming in from the right knowing that the width on that side can come from Walker. Wharton should play next to Rice, Wharton can sit and dictate. 

I think Foden would be better coming from the right aswell. 

Bellingham has basically played as a striker all season. He does not have the positional discipline to play that deep especially when we face better teams and his main attribute is his ability to score goals and make a difference in the final third.

Bellingham has played loads in centre midfielder..he has played the 8 role loads. He's drops into there anyway far too much

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team

Pickford 

Walker Stones Guehi Tripper

Bellingham Rice

Foden         Kane        Gordon

Watkins 

Playing our two best players and biggest goal threats out of position.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Klopp? A German as England manager? 

For sure.

What's your problem with that?

Think he'd be sensational - much better than the other foreign managers we've had (Capello and Eriksson).

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

For sure.

What's your problem with that?

Think he'd be sensational - much better than the other foreign managers we've had (Capello and Eriksson).

Klopp as a coach is not in the same League as Capello

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Klopp as a coach is not in the same League as Capello

Capello didn't show much for England - weren't we bounced out of the last 16 in the World Cup by Germany?

I have spent many an hour on here defending England and their performances over the years but today I can't. 

It was horrific. It looked like England of 20 years ago. All talent but no teamwork. 

I, like most, assume that Trent Alexander-Arnold's tournament is done. I hope that Southgate doesn't replace him with the equally ineffective Gallagher. 

Bellingham was unbelievably frustrating. He spent more time faking injury to try and get free kicks than actually playing. Rice couldn't pass straight. Kane and Foden decided to take up the same positions all game. 

Saka tried. That's about it. 

The back 4 were OK, which is the only positive; Denmark never got past England's 18 yard box.

I've also not yet seen anyone complaining about how the pitch caused problems. It was in bad shape. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I have spent many an hour on here defending England and their performances over the years but today I can't. 

It was horrific. It looked like England of 20 years ago. All talent but no teamwork. 

I, like most, assume that Trent Alexander-Arnold's tournament is done. I hope that Southgate doesn't replace him with the equally ineffective Gallagher. 

Bellingham was unbelievably frustrating. He spent more time faking injury to try and get free kicks than actually playing. Rice couldn't pass straight. Kane and Foden decided to take up the same positions all game. 

Saka tried. That's about it. 

The back 4 were OK, which is the only positive; Denmark never got past England's 18 yard box.

I've also not yet seen anyone complaining about how the pitch caused problems. It was in bad shape. 

I've not been able to watch the games (very unfortunately timed work commitments) but this post is making me wonder if some of the players are struggling with the immense pressure that has haunted previous attempts by highly talented England squads to win something. Bellingham, Rice, Kane and Foden are all coming off superb individual seasons and we shouldn't be saying these sorts of things about them.

If pressure is part of the problem, it's crying out for none other than Adam Wharton smack bang in the middle of the engine room. Despite his tender years he seems almost immune to pressure and always plays like he's relaxed yet focussed even when stepping up to a new level. That sort of calming presence could work wonders.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1