BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

8 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Before my time but wasn’t jimmy greaves not selected for that reason. 🤷‍♂️. I don’t know maybe he was injured but surely the better bet than hurst in the final. 

At the World Cup he played all three group games against Uruguay, Mexico and France; however, in the win against France, midfielder Joseph Bonnel raked his studs down Greaves's shin, causing a wound that required 14 stitches. His replacement for the quarter-final against Argentina, Geoff Hurst, scored the only goal of the game and kept his place to the final, where Hurst scored a hat-trick as England won the tournament. He was fit to play in the final, but manager Alf Ramsey opted against changing a winning team ... 

Just to show how times have changed, the Nation's press descended on Sir Alf's relatively modest home in Ipswich the following morning, only for Alf to open the door briefly ... " I'm sorry, Gentlemen but it's my day off ! ", and closed it immediately ..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, davulsukur said:

So, there are no benefits then?

And should Rovers only appoint a manager from Blackburn?

I have told you the benefit. Also we aren't talking about club football at all, but this is England national team manager and he should be English not foreign. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He cant pass a ball. And he again leaves us imbalanced. We need someone beside Rice who can sit in and who can pass. From limited options, Wharton stands out or even Mainoo.

The team problem is we are far too deep, no out ball, no one running in behind. So changed it like this, Put Bellingham into the 8 role, Kane into the 10 role, Foden on to the right, Gordon on the left with Watkins in the 9 role. Also not having a natural left back is also making us so imbalanced cos no one is attacking down the left side of the tea, 

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

So, let's do a hypothetical. If there was a manager who wanted to manage England, had a terrific track record at international football, and was almost certain to deliver success, but he was foreign...you'd still want an English manager instead?

Let's not the hypothetical at all. I have said what my opinion and I ain't changing it. 

We have 4 or 5 good options to replace Southgate when that time. 

These being Eddie Howe, Graham Potter, Gary O'Neil, John Hardman and Lee Carsley. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

As regards the manager's job, how small minded is that!!! 

No Mercer, Its an opinion have always hold and always will, its ain't small minded at all, but the England national football manager should be English. Simple as and I ain't changed my opinion at all

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

By the way, your utterly bizarre thinking would have denied England the services of players like John Barnes, Terry Butcher and Owen Hargreaves all born overseas.

Terry Butcher was born in Singapore cos his father was in Royal Navy and was commissioned over there. 

Owen Hargreaves had a English Father Welsh Mother and was born in Canada.  

Why do we have to put up with an American referee on ITV, summarising on field decisions? 
What has she got to do with the Euros?. 
Get her back on in the next World Cup. 

14 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Why do we have to put up with an American referee on ITV, summarising on field decisions? 
What has she got to do with the Euros?. 
Get her back on in the next World Cup. 

Really? I rate them, clear football knowledge.  Id have them as the next England manager!

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Let's not the hypothetical at all. I have said what my opinion and I ain't changing it. 

Opinions should always have the potential for change btw, nobody is right all the time. Refusing to change an opinion doesn't make you right, it just makes you stubborn.

The reason I drew up the hypothetical is to see what you value more - the nationality of the coach, or success for the national team. If you're saying that the nationality of the coach is more important, then we don't need to do the hypothetical. But it's not a very sensible stance to take IMO. I just want a trophy after all this time without one. As long as we aren't cheating I don't care how we get it.

Side note, an English manager has never won the Premier League. Which of course has been the top tier of English football since 1992. No English manager has won the English top tier for over 32 years. Think about that. Our managers just aren't very good. Even Scottish managers have won it, Ferguson and Dalglish off the top of my head.

Btw the English managers you suggested, I'd take Howe who I think is a good manager. No interest in the others.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have told you the benefit. Also we aren't talking about club football at all, but this is England national team manager and he should be English

…. But not when it comes to cricket. What’s the difference Alf? 

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have told you the benefit. Also we aren't talking about club football at all, but this is England national team manager and he should be English not foreign. 

The team problem is we are far too deep, no out ball, no one running in behind. So changed it like this, Put Bellingham into the 8 role, Kane into the 10 role, Foden on to the right, Gordon on the left with Watkins in the 9 role. Also not having a natural left back is also making us so imbalanced cos no one is attacking down the left side of the tea, 

We have 4 or 5 good options to replace Southgate when that time. 

These being Eddie Howe, Graham Potter, Gary O'Neil, John Hardman and Lee Carsley. 

No Mercer, Its an opinion have always hold and always will, its ain't small minded at all, but the England national football manager should be English. Simple as and I ain't changed my opinion at all

Terry Butcher was born in Singapore cos his father was in Royal Navy and was commissioned over there. 

Owen Hargreaves had a English Father Welsh Mother and was born in Canada.  

There is also an imbalance in midfield. Rice doesn't need a technically limited runner beside him who runs all over the shop and gives away fouls. He needs someone who will sit in and at least try and dictate.

That list of managers is depressing. The Canada manager is a particularly bizarre choice, Carsley is probably likely as he is another FA puppet but has never been a senior manager and chose to represent Ireland yet that seemingly doesnt infringe on your warped view.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

That list of managers is depressing. The Canada manager is a particularly bizarre choice, Carsley is probably likely as he is another FA puppet but has never been a senior manager and chose to represent Ireland yet that seemingly doesnt infringe on your warped view.

I can't imagine a universe in which I'd rather have Lee Carsley manage England than Klopp. But to each their own I guess.

• Like 3

• Backroom
42 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The Dutch are opening France up at will

Unfortunately they appear to be completely useless in front of goal. Wouldn't have bet on France/Netherlands being the first 0-0 of the tournament but it's heading that way at the moment. 

• Like 1

No surprise that English ref team were the slowest on a var check. The facts of what happened there were clear as day from one replay, why did it take so long to decide if he was interfering with play? 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Opinions should always have the potential for change btw, nobody is right all the time. Refusing to change an opinion doesn't make you right, it just makes you stubborn.

Whatever you want, It's an opinion I have said for plenty of years and I see no reason to change it. The England national football manager should be English. 

The reason I drew up the hypothetical is to see what you value more - the nationality of the coach, or success for the national team. If you're saying that the nationality of the coach is more important, then we don't need to do the hypothetical. But it's not a very sensible stance to take IMO. I just want a trophy after all this time without one. As long as we aren't cheating I don't care how we get it.

Good for yourself. We have plenty of good quality English coaches who could be appoint as our national team manager

Side note, an English manager has never won the Premier League. Which of course has been the top tier of English football since 1992. No English manager has won the English top tier for over 32 years. Think about that. Our managers just aren't very good. Even Scottish managers have won it, Ferguson and Dalglish off the top of my head.

and? We had Eriksson and Capello who have won plenty of trophies over the career but unless as England manager. 

38 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

…. But not when it comes to cricket. What’s the difference Alf? 

Would I have appoint McCullum or Mott? no. 

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is also an imbalance in midfield. Rice doesn't need a technically limited runner beside him who runs all over the shop and gives away fouls. He needs someone who will sit in and at least try and dictate.

I didn't mentioned Gallagher in my post so I have no idea why you have mention him.

We don't need to sitting 2 midfielders, but Like I have said from before the tournament started I would play Bellingham next to Rice. Bellingham would play the 8 role like he has done plenty of time before hand. 

Carsley was born in England actually 

John Herdman isn't in charge of Canada anymore, that is Jesse Marsch. He is managing Toronto now. 

Also the list isn't depressing at all but you would appoint another foreign manager. We tried it twice now and no more thanks. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Carsley was born in England actually 

So was Jack Charlton but the Irish had no problem appointing him as manager in what could be described as their finest era. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also the list isn't depressing at all but you would appoint another foreign manager. We tried it twice now and no more thanks. 

Your list is utterly depressing.  Howe would be an outsider, the rest would be nowhere.

You say we tried two foreign managers and no more you say.  However, you neglect to say since Sir Alf we've had about 15 English managers and achieved what!?!?

Football is about opinions but I think you would find your opinions are very much in the minority where the nationality of the  national team manager is concerned.

• Like 1

Absolutely Ludicrous decisich to disallow the Dutch goal,.

The player wasnt in the keepers eyeliner and the keeper was never getting anywhere near the shot.

That decision could have a major bearing on the eventual outcome of the competition. Should have been the most straightforward of decisions to over-rule the onfield officials.

Slightly different technology in use but VAR still ruining the game.

• Like 1

The disallowed goal for the Netherlands proves one thing to me. The whole of the VAR personnel in the Permier League should be swept out the door. It’s been so refreshing in the Euros with the really quick decisions until we come to a Premier League dolloper