BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

To this day I maintain in isolation Southgate has only ever had one decent win managing England. Beating Germany in 2020. One game. 

Qualifiers and friendlies are mostly vs comedy sides. Had good results like beating Italy and poor results like Macedonia but there’s no jeopardy any more so all largely pointless.

In main tournaments. 2018 - you’d expect us to lose to that Belgium side which we duely did twice but you’d expect us to beat Tunisia, Panama, Colombia, Sweden and Croatia but of course obviously lost to Croatia. 2020 - you'd expect us to beat Czech Republic, Croatia, Scotland, Ukraine, Denmark and did except a draw vs Scotland. Germany (a poor Germany) there is his only decent win then Italy at home was at worst 50:50 probably edged it but bottled it again. 2022 - you’d expect us to beat USA, wales and Senegal of course did beat them expect for another poor draw vs USA but lost to first decent oppo in france. 

2024 - already dropping points but the one constant will be out as soon as get a decent side we’re gone.

Dropping points is all part and parcel of it. It’s how you bounce back but not once, other than Germany in my opinion, have we won a game when the quality has been remotely equal. Always lost. Belgium, Croatia, France, Italy and whoever we get in this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

....... but not when it comes to cricket. Explain

I would like an Englishman in charge of the England cricket team of course. They would be some good choices out there for me. Farbrace for test and Solanki on white ball cricket 

Problem is that most English managers are pretty shit. Howe, Potter and O'Neil have done ok for middling Premier League teams, but have won nowt. Beyond those three we have no-one. Playing 'the right way' is not enough, and only picking an English manager forever will lead to failure.

• Like 2

Howe is the best of a poor English bunch. He must be odds-on to replace Southgate because he's bland and speaks nicely and isn't controversial - perfect for the FA but another likely to fail. Klopp would be the best choice of course but how would the idiot England supporters who sing Ten German Bombers cope? 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

That will be the case as most nations are managed by people of the same nationality.

Thats not why Capello failed. Seemingly his old fashioned man management style caused issues. Not his nationality.

Capella failed for many of reasons. Was his wages worth what we paid him? Why do we always have to go overseas for foreign manager? Why can't we employ an Englishman and back him. 

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would like an Englishman in charge of the England cricket team of course. They would be some good choices out there for me. Farbrace for test and Solanki on white ball cricket 

Silverwood and Moores were disasters. Foreigners understand the game better - football and cricket 

48 minutes ago, Gav said:

For a very good reason, its got 100% success rate on the world stage, no foreign manager has ever won the world cup since it started in 1930, but plenty have tried. It has happened in Euros, but only once I believe, when Greece won in 2004 they had German Otto Rehhagel in charge. 

All that said, with the pool of top quality English managers seemingly getting less and less, it won't be long before our only options are to go for a foreign manager and that will be very sad day indeed.

Think we only have 5 English managers in the PL now, Howe, Dyche, Cooper, O'Neil and Martin - that's a mere 25%.

If we could get Kopp, or even Pep if he fancies international management when his contract finishes at City next year, then it would be very foolish, short sighted and short minded to go down the 'English only' route.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Capella failed for many of reasons. Was his wages worth what we paid him? Why do we always have to go overseas for foreign manager? Why can't we employ an Englishman and back him. 

You contradict yourself.

Since Sir Alf, we have backed about 15 English managers and none delivered a tournament.  

Reportedly, Southgate is on £5million / year - that is some feckin backing and for what!?!?

Capello failed because his disciplined Italian approach was too harsh for our namby-pamby overrated and overpaid 'stars'.  Whilst conversely, I would suggest Sven was as dynamic as a wet blanket and he was too soft on our prima donnas.

I am pretty certain we would get Klopp for £5million a year and he would deliver passion, excitement and most probably success.

We have had just 2 foreign managers and I think it's time we rolled the dice again.  I want an England team that exudes passion, excitement and success and not, IMO, the stale, fecked-up mess we are witnessing.

Edited by Mercer

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I am pretty certain we would get Klopp for £5million a year and he would deliver passion, excitement and most probably success.

🤣🤣 - Funny, spat my brew out.

Klopp and Guardiola earn around £20m a year, have you had a slurp already? But if we aren't going for an English manager, only this calibre would do for me and its failed twice before.....

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think we only have 5 English managers in the PL now, Howe, Dyche, Cooper, O'Neil and Martin - that's a mere 25%.

If we could get Kopp, or even Pep if he fancies international management when his contract finishes at City next year, then it would be very foolish, short sighted and short minded to go down the 'English only' route.

Cooper is Welsh

McKenna is English but represented NI at under 21s

Martin is English but played for Scotland

So does that count as 3, 4, or 5…

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Silverwood and Moores were disasters. Foreigners understand the game better - football and cricket 

What utter nonsense 

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You contradict yourself.

Since Sir Alf, we have backed about 15 English managers and none delivered a tournament.  

Reportedly, Southgate is on £5million / year - that is some feckin backing and for what!?!?

Capello failed because his disciplined Italian approach was too harsh for our namby-pamby overrated and overpaid 'stars'.  Whilst conversely, I would suggest Sven was as dynamic as a wet blanket and he was too soft on our prima donnas.

We have had just 2 foreign managers and I think it's time we rolled the dice again.  I want an England team that exudes passion, excitement and success and not, IMO, the stale, fecked-up mess we are witnessing.

Living in fantasy world. I nearly choke on my crumpets 

Southgate's record is the best since SIr Alf, Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables. 

I'm backing Southgate still. If he was too leave I would go for Gary O'Neil at Wolves. Did a very good job at Bournemouth and Wolves

Edited by chaddyrovers

13 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Covered by this part of the law?:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball

Can always rely on you for a quality post Wilsden!

I'd say that the Dutch player's position had no impact whatsoever on the keepers ability to go for the ball as there was no chance whatsoever of him saving it in the first place.

Seemingly not everyone agrees but to me it's an absolute no brainer I don't know why it would be even up for debate.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm backing Southgate still. If he was too leave I would go for Gary O'Neil at Wolves. Did a very good job at Bournemouth and Wolves

Backing him - but covering all bases at the same time!

Don't get splinters you know where!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can always rely on you for a quality post Wilsden!

I'd say that the Dutch player's position had no impact whatsoever on the keepers ability to go for the ball as there was no chance whatsoever of him saving it in the first place.

Seemingly not everyone agrees but to me it's an absolute no brainer I don't know why it would be even up for debate.

Thank you 👍

I wonder whether it doesn’t matter (clearly it should) whether he could have got to the ball, maybe just ‘denying him the opportunity to try’ is sufficient for the offence.

I’d change the rule back to if you’re  in an offside position you’re committing an offence - none of this interfering with play/phase of play nonsense (maybe I’m now officially old fashioned 😁😁)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Thank you 👍

I wonder whether it doesn’t matter (clearly it should) whether he could have got to the ball, maybe just ‘denying him the opportunity to try’ is sufficient for the offence.

I’d change the rule back to if you’re  in an offside position you’re committing an offence - none of this interfering with play/phase of play nonsense (maybe I’m now officially old fashioned 😁😁)

I disagree, if someone just happens to be stood in an offside position at the farside of the pitch  then a 30 yard worldie shouldnt be ruled out on that basis.

Common sense also has to be applied though, if as in the case of last night a shot flashes into the net and the keeper has no chance of getting it whatever happens it shouldn't matter someone is stood offside.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

What utter nonsense 

How many English managers have won the Champions League?

How many English managers have won the Premier League?

In cricket, the English coaches in recent years have been abysmal

The evidence is clear - we don't breed good, successful coaches

The English Coach v Foreign Coach conundrum should be a fairly simple one.

You pick the one who you feel is the best person for the job. End of. 

In the unlikely event there were two candidates of equal calibre and stature, one foreign and one English you'd hope the powers that be would pick the English one.

Whether umpteen English managers since Sir Alf, or Sven and Capello have failed is completely irrelevant. What's happened in the past has no bearing on matters going forward.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I disagree, if someone just happens to be stood in an offside position at the farside of the pitch  then a 30 yard worldie shouldnt be ruled out on that basis.

Common sense also has to be applied though, if as in the case of last night a shot flashes into the net and the keeper has no chance of getting it whatever happens it shouldn't matter someone is stood offside.

I absolutely see your point re your first paragraph - I guess the main reason I’d revert to the old rules is to take the subjectivity out of the decision.

The reason I’d remove the subjectivity is because I have no confidence in the officials using the common sense you refer to in your second paragraph (or certainly not on a consistent basis).

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

bloody murphy summarising again,sound muted😫

Listening to him pontificate on other players and their attitudes, you'd think he never put a foot wrong.

I'd love a Rovers fan to ring Talksport and take him to task for his time at Ewood when he's on some time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

To this day I maintain in isolation Southgate has only ever had one decent win managing England. Beating Germany in 2020. One game. 

Qualifiers and friendlies are mostly vs comedy sides. Had good results like beating Italy and poor results like Macedonia but there’s no jeopardy any more so all largely pointless.

In main tournaments. 2018 - you’d expect us to lose to that Belgium side which we duely did twice but you’d expect us to beat Tunisia, Panama, Colombia, Sweden and Croatia but of course obviously lost to Croatia. 2020 - you'd expect us to beat Czech Republic, Croatia, Scotland, Ukraine, Denmark and did except a draw vs Scotland. Germany (a poor Germany) there is his only decent win then Italy at home was at worst 50:50 probably edged it but bottled it again. 2022 - you’d expect us to beat USA, wales and Senegal of course did beat them expect for another poor draw vs USA but lost to first decent oppo in france. 

2024 - already dropping points but the one constant will be out as soon as get a decent side we’re gone.

Dropping points is all part and parcel of it. It’s how you bounce back but not once, other than Germany in my opinion, have we won a game when the quality has been remotely equal. Always lost. Belgium, Croatia, France, Italy and whoever we get in this one. 

Best game we ever played under Southgate I think was beating the Spanish in Spain during the first nations league in 2021... Thought that was the birth of Harry Winks and Ross Barkley as a top international players... We were real quality. That didnt turn out... Winks slipped away without a trace.