BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

To the naked eye the defender on the near side looked to be playing Lukaku well onside and if anything Debruyne looked off when he scored (which was allowed)

The clip they showed of Lukaku allegedly having a toe nail offside is completely meaningless in isolation as there's no proof whatsoever it was frozen at exactly the same point that the ball was played.

And even if he did, so what? That's neither looking to gain an advantage nor "a clear and obvious" error.

VAR is completely ruining the game or at least the use of it in conjunction with the laws as they stand is. The offside law never anticipated this sort of minute forensic examination when it was drafted and clearly needs changing to require clear daylight.

Ditto this "snicko" bollux trying to catch a ball brushing an attackers fingertips. That needs scrapping as well or they'll end up ruining the game.

That looked offside to me to so I wonder if the flick through was from a Romanian head - I don’t think they showed a replay of that sort of the move.

With regard to VAR offsides, these should be treated the same as any other VAR decision - ie was it a clear and obvious error by the official.

There is absolutely no way the Lukaku one (and that isn’t the only example) can be seen as a clear and official error - it’s not (as you say) even obvious it’s an error at all.

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

There was an Albanian lad that went down right in front of Silvinho, rolling around holding his leg. He inadvertently rolled off the pitch, so the ref completely ignored him. Silvinho told him to get up - the lad (a CM) jogged back into position, feigning holding his 'injured' back for all of 5 seconds before he ran to close someone down.

It's an automatic yellow card for mine. 

I’m always amused by watching a player ‘work out’ how to get back to ‘full fitness’

It usually goes something along the lines of…

Go down like a sack of spuds  

Realise ref isn’t buying it.

Stay down a bit longer

Get up and ‘test’ the injury.

Limp badly for a couple of strides.

Limp less severely for a couple more

Start sprinting like Usain Bolt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’m always amused by watching a player ‘work out’ how to get back to ‘full fitness’

It usually goes something along the lines of…

Go down like a sack of spuds  

Realise ref isn’t buying it.

Stay down a bit longer

Get up and ‘test’ the injury.

Limp badly for a couple of strides.

Limp less severely for a couple more

Start sprinting like Usain Bolt.

You missed out the couple of forward rolls. Any time I see a player do that I know right away they aren’t injured. With real injuries you either lie or sit very still. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

If the Kane rumours are true it means Southgate and his coaches have lost the trust of the players and they will no longer take any notice of what they're saying or doing. It means sense really because the players looked lost in those first 2 matches. All in all, England does not appear to be a happy camp

Who are these coaches ? It seems to me the more coaches we get the worse we play. We won the big one with just Alf  Ramsey and Harold Sheperdson.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who are these coaches ? It seems to me the more coaches we get the worse we play. We won the big one with just Alf  Ramsey and Harold Sheperdson.

Same with the best Rovers team I ever saw - Jack Marshall and a trainer. And that was it. Now we have directors of football, attacking, defending, free-kicks corner kicks, penalty kicks, throw-ins etc etc - and the result is dull, over-coached football. 

Matt Busby had it right - he just told his players to "go out and play"....because good players don't need instructions

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who are these coaches ? 

Southgate's staff is

Steve Holland as number 2. Was on Chelsea staff before joining Southgate was the under 21's then the senior staff

Paul Nevin, was on David Moyes staff before joining England in 2021

Martyn Margetson has been keeper coach for over 8 years now and was appointed by Sam Allardyce

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Same with the best Rovers team I ever saw - Jack Marshall and a trainer. And that was it. Now we have directors of football, attacking, defending, free-kicks corner kicks, penalty kicks, throw-ins etc etc - and the result is dull, over-coached football. 

Matt Busby had it right - he just told his players to "go out and play"....because good players don't need instructions

The trainer was Jimmy Gordon. He went on to big things with Brian Clough after leaving Rovers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

If the Kane rumours are true it means Southgate and his coaches have lost the trust of the players and they will no longer take any notice of what they're saying or doing. It means sense really because the players looked lost in those first 2 matches. All in all, England does not appear to be a happy camp

Not sure I agree with that... Could be them taking some accountability on themselves to support their manager, not undermine him.

• Backroom
On 21/06/2024 at 19:57, Ianrally said:

Why do we have to put up with an American referee on ITV, summarising on field decisions? 
What has she got to do with the Euros?. 
Get her back on in the next World Cup. 

I think she’s brill! Not biased to any team, just judges the incident vs the rules, instead of ‘interpreting’ them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KentExile said:

He played their once or twice for England when he first got into the squad (I think around about the the time of the tournament in Russia).  But to my memory, this was only against teams where England didn't have to do much defending.  Playing him their against anyone apart from relative minnows would be suicide

Hmmm..... I guess if we did go 352  and maybe put TAA in on the right it could work well against Slovenia... But then if we play a top team next time not very good for preparation. We just have this one game to get the pressing and passing patterns sorted. Changing the whole system does not seem a good idea to me.

Not having a left footed full back is such a massive issue.

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

12 years coaching experience and been within the England set up for last 4 years. Plus he won the UEFA under 21's championship last season. 

So his qualification is that he’s like Southgate?

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

So his qualification is that he’s like Southgate?

Yes somewhat but Southgate had been managing in PL and Championship with Boro. Carsley has never been permanent club manager 

35 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hmmm..... I guess if we did go 352  and maybe put TAA in on the right it could work well against Slovenia... But then if we play a top team next time not very good for preparation. We just have this one game to get the pressing and passing patterns sorted. Changing the whole system does not seem a good idea to me.

Not having a left footed full back is such a massive issue.

Or a right footed left back who can actually use his left foot.

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes somewhat but Southgate had been managing in PL and Championship with Boro. Carsley has never been permanent club manager 

So Carsley is worse than Southgate then.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You missed out the couple of forward rolls. Any time I see I player do that I know right away they aren’t injured. With real injuries you either lie or sit very still. 

Gary Mabbutt broke his leg right in front of me - he didn’t move an inch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

All he did, and understandably so, is scream and scream.

Mine wasn’t that bad. The pain came later, it was just numb at first and I couldn’t move/waggle my foot.

I remember playing in a game were an opponent broke his leg. It was raining heavily and the guy was in a lot of pain. This guy was screaming. The ground we were playing on was totally enclosed. The gates onto the ground were kept locked and the key was kept in the works lodge about 1/2 a mile away. It took ages to get the key and open the gate to let the ambulance in. When it actually got in it got bogged down on the soft ground so some of the older players got a bench and managed to get the lad onto the bench and carry him to the ambulance.  He was in a lot of pain and back in those days ambulances didn’t carry much in the way of pain relief. It must have taken 40-45 minutes to get him on his way to hospital.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mine wasn’t that bad. The pain came later, it was just numb at first and I couldn’t move/waggle my foot.

I remember playing in a game were an opponent broke his leg. It was raining heavily and the guy was in a lot of pain. This guy was screaming. The ground we were playing on was totally enclosed. The gates onto the ground were kept locked and the key was kept in the works lodge about 1/2 a mile away. It took ages to get the key and open the gate to let the ambulance in. When it actually got in it got bogged down on the soft ground so some of the older players got a bench and managed to get the lad onto the bench and carry him to the ambulance.  He was in a lot of pain and back in those days ambulances didn’t carry much in the way of pain relief. It must have taken 40-45 minutes to get him on his way to hospital.

Sounds terrible.

The most eye watering injury I ever witnessed was when I was playing in an under 13s (I think) tournament and somebody’s ball bag got split open by an opponents studs.

Edited by wilsdenrover

7 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Sounds terrible.

The most eye watering injury I ever witnessed was when I was playing in an under 13s (I think) tournament and somebody’s ball bag got split open by an opponents studs.

Mm, I think I’ll stick with my broken leg.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Sounds terrible.

I can't help wondering if the unfortunate lads balls had already dropped.