BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

The fact that everyones preferred team has numerous differences highlight why we wont be winning the tournament. You ask a France, Spain, Germany or Portugal fan and im sure each team would be not far off the same.

We have a really imbalanced squad/team managed by an idiot. That balance issue will not be helped by keeping Trippier (or even picking any of the right footed centre  backs there) and picking Gallagher who not only is poor but is not a natural sitting midfielder.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

A lot of pessimism about England but the draw is opening up very nicely again for them to get to the final. If they can win tomorrow then Portugal, Spain and Germany (the 3 best teams in my opinion so far) will all be in the other half and if they don't win by more than Netherlands tomorrow then France will be as well. 

Yep possibly Austria or Poland or some other third place team then possibly Italy Croatia or Switzerland in the quarters. All beatable teams if Southgate had a brain. But he'll blow it like he always does

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The fact that everyones preferred team has numerous differences highlight why we wont be winning the tournament. You ask a France, Spain, Germany or Portugal fan and im sure each team would be not far off the same.

We have a really imbalanced squad/team managed by an idiot. That balance issue will not be helped by keeping Trippier (or even picking any of the right footed centre  backs there) and picking Gallagher who not only is poor but is not a natural sitting midfielder.

France haven't exactly looked much better. Germany are slightly overrated.  For me Spain look the team to beat

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

No they shouldn't . English clubs should be developing English talent.  Scotland has its own league. They wouldn't do the same for us. I'm not interested in Scotland and Wales 

I wasn't talking about the 'morality' of it, just the reality of it. I don't think multimillion pound clubs operate an ethnic discrimination policy, and nor should they. As long as it's within the rules, clubs should find the best young talent they can, regardless of where it's from. I'm sure you weren't complaining when Duff broke through.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

France haven't exactly looked much better. Germany are slightly overrated.  For me Spain look the team to beat

But the point is, all of them have balanced teams where you know pretty much all of the starting 11.

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I wasn't talking about the 'morality' of it, just the reality of it. I don't think multimillion pound clubs operate an ethnic discrimination policy, and nor should they. As long as it's within the rules, clubs should find the best young talent they can, regardless of where it's from. I'm sure you weren't complaining when Duff broke through.

Ok I get u now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Only the Italians could do that

You can never write them off. A bit like the Germans, even when their team doesn't seem that strong, they understand the game, the strategy and their jobs on the pitch and they stay focussed. England are missing these elements. We really should consider a foreign coach again, even though Chaddy will have an aneurysm.

• Like 6

Just now, bluebruce said:

You can never write them off. A bit like the Germans, even when their team doesn't seem that strong, they understand the game, the strategy and their jobs on the pitch and they stay focussed. England are missing these elements. We really should consider a foreign coach again, even though Chaddy will have an aneurysm.

Lol he would despite the fact that English coaches are crap

• Like 1

Little shout out to Albania. They're absolute minnows and got drawn in the group of death, with three sides who have been contenders for top titles in recent years.

Somehow they came out with a draw and only lost their other games by a goal. Great achievement for them.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Little shout out to Albania. They're absolute minnows and got drawn in the group of death, with three sides who have been contenders for top titles in recent years.

Somehow they came out with a draw and only lost their other games by a goal. Great achievement for them.

Similar to Hungary at the last tournament.  Hell maybe it's Scotlands turn in 4 years 

13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Calafiori looked like their best defender and their best attacker. Looks an exciting player. He’ll be a huge miss for their next game. Italy look like a side with talent but no ideas. Like a team of Brett Emertons!

I don’t know what Croatia did at the end there. Their midfield suddenly were all pushed up and threw it away. But great finish from the Italians.

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You can’t imagine England equalising like that and getting through against the odds in the dying seconds. Their players have the nous that ours don’t. Croatia were in the England role tonight - naive and lacking the know how to see the game out

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

As far as I can see, Grealish never played for the Irish senior side. In fact it seems he repeatedly rejected the offer to do so well before he got his England callup. Rice played in three friendlies. I'd say it's pretty clear these very much English lads only played youth and senior football for Ireland because they didn't know if they were going to get to play for England. I doubt anywhere near as much work on their development was done at Irish youth level as it was at their English clubs.

Honestly, no offence but I don't think you're in any position to lament it (I know you said you're not complaining), although I get why you'd wish it was different. These lads were only even available through a bit of a back door clause, the same clause that has allowed a lot of definitely English lads to play for you and improve your side. At the end of the day, if someone is English and has Irish grandparents, the only way you're going to get them playing for you is if they don't have enough faith they'll be able to play for England. And that works well for those players and for the ROI team. I can't think of any examples where it has gone the other way, and someone who is clearly Irish but has an English parent or grandparent has gone to play for England. The system works very well for you with no real downsides. It's not the reason your international side is poor, you already identified those reasons (plus small population).

You did have a nice patch in the 00s wasn't it? With Keane, Duff, Given. All players developed in England, two of them at Rovers actually. Maybe those days will come again at some point, the Irish can clearly produce good players, but Ireland really needs to work on popularising their domestic league and strengthening development infrastructure.

Kane and Rooney are just two more examples of very much English players. Of course they chose England. Even if Ireland were as good as us I'm sure they'd have chosen England. Just the fact they could have played for Ireland doesn't mean you have any entitlement to them.

Conversely I could point out how Bale could have played for England, and I was going to say Giggs too, but apparently he was never eligible (think he would be under current rules though). One or two of them in what is traditionally our weakest position and England might have actually won something!

Giggs played for England schoolboys. I think his mum was English but his dad was Danny Wilson, a Welsh stand off who played for Swinton Rugby League.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s right about Saka being a lightweight. He’s too used to Premier League refs who blow up if somebody gives you a dirty look. The refs out here let things go.

He does get fouled alot but there's no doubt he's had two decent games compared to Bellingham and foden who probably had 1 good half each 

Edited by roverandout

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You can’t imagine England equalising like that and getting through against the odds in the dying seconds. Their players have the nous that ours don’t. Croatia were in the England role tonight - naive and lacking the know how to see the game out

Last time I remember us getting a goal like that was David Platt against Portugal. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Giggs played for England schoolboys. I think his mum was English but his dad was Danny Wilson, a Welsh stand off who played for Swinton Rugby League.

Apparently he was eligible for England schoolboys because his school was in England and that's how the rules worked for schoolboy football. I looked it up before making that post and apparently he was never eligible for the England senior team.

• Like 1