BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

A lot of pessimism about England but the draw is opening up very nicely again for them to get to the final. If they can win tomorrow then Portugal, Spain and Germany (the 3 best teams in my opinion so far) will all be in the other half and if they don't win by more than Netherlands tomorrow then France will be as well. 

Aye, it's not how you start it's how you finish.

We've finally, after half a century, got a manager who can get us to the latter stages of big competitions. Southgate won't want to finish his time in charge with anything worse than at least another final appearance.

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Last time I remember us getting a goal like that was David Platt against Portugal. 

That was my all time favourite last minute England goal assuming meant Belgium. Other notable ones Beckham vs Greece, dier vs Germany and Owen v Argentina winners (friendlies admittedly). 

Edited by matt83

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

That was my all time favourite last minute England goal assuming meant Belgium. Other notable ones Beckham vs Greece, dier vs Germany and Owen v Argentina winners (friendlies admittedly). 

Was it Belgium ? It was definitely David Platt. A great over the shoulder volley.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Before my time but surely Hurst’s is the best one 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The 3rd place rubbish really dilutes the jeopardy in the group stages. Youve got teams on 3 and even 2 points after 3 games waiting around to see if they can sneak through.

It didn't dilute the Jeopardy in the Scotland Hungary game if you think it through. 

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

The best thing about that goal was that I watched it in an hotel bar in Belgium. Hell it was just fantastic for two of us out of about fifty others who were not best pleased. Oh happy days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Giggs played for England schoolboys. I think his mum was English but his dad was Danny Wilson, a Welsh stand off who played for Swinton Rugby League.

That’s what I could never understand about Giggs wanting to play for Wales. He had the benefit of seeing George Best never having a hope of playing in the World Cup, even though he was one of the best players in the World. Surely I would have thought that him playing for Wales would be a reincarnation of Best and NI. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

From a Scotland point of view, it no doubt is a positive but from a Celtic point of view, it isn’t. I watch Celtic and I want to see young lads coming through the academy play for Celtic.

One pea brain poster on here constantly calls the Scottish Premiership a Micky Mouse League. It doesn’t help matters with young Scots being cherry picked by English (and other) clubs.

The main reason for that is a lack of money in Scotland.

Ok then I'll bite.

There have been 127 Scottish League seasons. Of these 109 have been won by two teams. You have to go back to 1985 for the last time a team that wasn't Celtic or Rangers won the competition.

If that's not a Mickey Mouse league then I don't know what is.

The comparison to Croatia is interesting as their small time league was only formed in the early 90s as a result of the US and NATOs destruction of Yugoslavia, so naturally it will be much weaker as many of the other big sides that were part of the Yugoslav League such as Red Star were now not in the same competition. Seemingly this hasn't deterred the Croats from building a strong national team.

10 hours ago, roverandout said:

Bowen??? Watkins?? This is an awful team. No offence.  I agree with most of your team but the formation and some of the line up is poor

Suspect it's a team we will end up with and offers more flexibility.

It's essentially 352, solidity either flank. Watkins gives more pace, energy to go in behind, gordon gives lots of ability/options, Foden better central. Not convinced by Saka though.

• Like 1

England possible route

Round 16: Solvakia/Austria

QF: Switzerland/Croatia

Semi Final: Dutch/Hungary/Romania/Turkey

Could it be coming home 🤞

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

England possible route

Don't do it to yourself Gav lol

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Gav said:

England possible route

I thought if ended up it that bit of the draw by winning it would be Italy not Croatia. Either way looking good again 

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

England possible route

Switzerland/Italy, surely? I'm in Croatia for the quarters, so I wasn't overly disappointed to see the Italy equalizer go in! Didn't fancy being the sole England fan in a crowd of Croatians...

Keeping my eyes on the Dutch and French games for later. Southgate again looks like being a lucky general with the way the draws fall for him. 

After watching Austria on Friday I think England would get torn apart by them, their tactical set-up was incredible and the fluidity in which they rotated position and built up in near 2-7-2 formation was mega. Makes Southgates plodding 4-2-3-1 and 5-3-2 look laughable

32 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

After watching Austria on Friday I think England would get torn apart by them, their tactical set-up was incredible and the fluidity in which they rotated position and built up in near 2-7-2 formation was mega. Makes Southgates plodding 4-2-3-1 and 5-3-2 look laughable

No wonder they look good if they've got an extra man on the pitch!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

It’s hard to believe but years ago Austria didn’t even bother entering a team for the World Cup in Chile. The team was reckoned to be awful and that they’d be embarrassed. As soon as that happened they went on a really long unbeaten run beating England 2-0 in the process.