BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Surprise Southgate isn't taking Grealish, Branthwaite or Maguire, delighted for Wharton and his family. I would have taken White and Tomori myself

The team I expect for the first game is

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi Tripper

Gallagher Rice

Saka     Bellingham  Foden 

Kane

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surprise Southgate isn't taking Grealish, Branthwaite or Maguire, delighted for Wharton and his family. I would have taken White and Tomori myself

Pickford

Gallagher Rice

Kane

How would you take White when he said he doesn't want to play for England?

• Like 2

England's left flank looks vulnerable - Trippier not the best even on the right side and Shaw has hardly played. The best teams will exploit it

I have to give some kind of credit to Southgate for bucking his trend and not taking dollopers like Henderson and Maguire.

Players like Eze, Wharton and Mainoo are not only the next generation, but they're good enough now.

Other than the odd tweak (Dunk <> Branthwaite probably), it's pretty much the squad I'd had picked.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

How would you take White when he said he doesn't want to play for England?

has he even said that? I have seen nothing to suggest that claim. Maybe a falling out with Southgate could be the reason

I would be playing White at centre back with Stones. 

50 minutes ago, roverandout said:

When everyone is fully fit shaw stones ghuei and walker is a pretty decent backline.  Shaw is expected to be fit for the second game. Ghuei is a really good defender 

A nice hypothetical suggestion but unfortunately not anything like the reality. Shaw has not played for a long, long time. Even if he can "feature" as Southgate suggested in the second game he is going to be well off the pace. The alternative is Trippier who is aging, out of form, has been injured and will be on the wrong side. Guehi is a decent defender, certainly not close to being a top level one, and again has had a serious injury so will be rusty. He made a big mistake v Bosnia which you can maybe put down to that.

Even beyond that, Stones has not played much and looked shaky in the cup final and even Walker has been below his usual standards.

The issue is not predominantly down to the manager, he has made a huge error not taking Branthwaite over Dunk but even then, is Branthwaite a top level defender? We are starved of quality and crucially fully fit defenders and the key to winning a tournamrment is often a solid defence.

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pickford

Gallagher Rice

Kane

Im guessing you are strongly against the squad picked considering that Grealish who you wanted to start and Maddison to be in the squad.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

has he even said that? I have seen nothing to suggest that claim.

Read the newspapers. You might learn summat

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pickford

Gallagher Rice

Kane

I definitely wouldn't start Gallagher - id play Mainoo or Wharton instead. Or drop Bellingham or Foden deeper and bring Palmer in. I cant see why when we have so many good players why Gallagher would get in.

Also not a huge fan of Trippier on the left... But Shaw isnt fit and also not sure about Gomez.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

has he even said that? I have seen nothing to suggest that claim. Maybe a falling out with Southgate could be the reason

I would be playing White at centre back with Stones. 

Southgate stated that White had made himself unavailable for the tournament so the manager can't pick him. The player had a row with Southgate's assistant Steve Holland in Qatar in 2022 and returned early from the World Cup.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I definitely wouldn't start Gallagher - id play Mainoo or Wharton instead. Or drop Bellingham or Foden deeper and bring Palmer in. I cant see why when we have so many good players why Gallagher would get in.

Also not a huge fan of Trippier on the left... But Shaw isnt fit and also not sure about Gomez.

Gallagher ? Just a spear carrier like Phillips was.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I'm guessing you are strongly against the squad picked considering that Grealish who you wanted to start and Maddison to be in the squad.

I'm not the manager of England and Southgate will pick the squad he wants. Fair play to him for picking the squad he has. Its his job not mine

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Read the newspapers. You might learn summat

Don't need to read the newspapers Jim when everything is online Jim. Maybe move with the times now and get on social media 

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Southgate stated that White had made himself unavailable for the tournament so the manager can't pick him. The player had a row with Southgate's assistant Steve Holland in Qatar in 2022 and returned early from the World Cup.

I thought so. So when we have a different manager White will be part of the squad hopefully

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Guardiola offload Grealish this summer as he has Foden, Doku and possibly Rico Lewis ahead of him in the pecking order. To be honest I was astounded he bought him in the first place.

Not sure Watkins AND Toney were needed, surely one or the other?

I think they bought him so nobody else could have him. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A nice hypothetical suggestion but unfortunately not anything like the reality. Shaw has not played for a long, long time. Even if he can "feature" as Southgate suggested in the second game he is going to be well off the pace. The alternative is Trippier who is aging, out of form, has been injured and will be on the wrong side. Guehi is a decent defender, certainly not close to being a top level one, and again has had a serious injury so will be rusty. He made a big mistake v Bosnia which you can maybe put down to that.

Even beyond that, Stones has not played much and looked shaky in the cup final and even Walker has been below his usual standards.

The issue is not predominantly down to the manager, he has made a huge error not taking Branthwaite over Dunk but even then, is Branthwaite a top level defender? We are starved of quality and crucially fully fit defenders and the key to winning a tournamrment is often a solid defence.

Im guessing you are strongly against the squad picked considering that Grealish who you wanted to start and Maddison to be in the squad.

Totally disagree on ghuei.  Watched him numerous times and he's an outstanding defender.  He has everything a modern defender needs. Pace. Recovery.  Good on the ball.

Edited by roverandout

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gallagher ? Just a spear carrier like Phillips was.

A good impact player off the bench if we are chasing a game. But nowhere near good enough to start

Edited by roverandout

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

IDon't need to read the newspapers Jim when everything is online Jim. Maybe move with the times now and get on social media 

The White story was widely reported in the press but you missed it because you only look online

Clot

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Totally disagree on ghuei.  Watched him numerous times and he's an outstanding defender.  He has everything a modern defender needs. Pace. Recovery.  Good on the ball.

Talented yes, good yes outstanding no. Maybe a bit of English bias. He doesnt get close to the other big nations. But the main issue is his lack of fitness.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

The White story was widely reported in the press but you missed it because you only look online

Clot

If you read my read my reply to Mashed Potatoes you would seem confirmed what I believe is still the case. Tell you move to the modern times. It was widely reported on social media at the time if memory serves right given all the major sports journalists are on X. I take it you aren't

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Talented yes, good yes outstanding no. Maybe a bit of English bias. He doesnt get close to the other big nations. But the main issue is his lack of fitness.

I would say he's better than anything Italy have right now. Portugal France Holland I agree with 

12 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Would like to see us go with this for the first game against Serbia;

image.png.13f374884afc14569032409375d2a53d.png

Am I being biased towards Wharton? Yes, but also no... the boy is genuinely phenomenal.

Wouldn't you have the midfield triangle the other way around with Wharton just in front of the defence?

Staggered at the decision to leave Branthwaite out, he would not only be in my 26 but in my starting 11. Would love to know how Lewis Dunk continues to get picked, he has had a very average season with Brighton and has never performed in an England shirt.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Staggered at the decision to leave Branthwaite out, he would not only be in my 26 but in my starting 11. Would love to know how Lewis Dunk continues to get picked, he has had a very average season with Brighton and has never performed in an England shirt.

Totally agree Braithwaite or Tomori should have been included over Dunk,  Shaw included when out since February an odd one for me

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think they bought him so nobody else could have him. 

I agree... Said it before on here that he's gone backwards since joining Citeh. 

Not his own fault but Peps insistence on playing him out wide on the left where he's extremely limited. Never beats a defender, always cuts back to play a pass. Frustrating to watch him. 

He was a better player when at Villa and I'm sure England can live without him. 

Can't see him being at city for much longer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

I would say he's better than anything Italy have right now. Portugal France Holland I agree with 

Italy have quite a strong defence, Bastoni is a very good player at Inter and Mancini a regular at Roma. Although I would have them down as maybe 8th favourites.

The problem is not necessarily Guehi's ability at full fitness but its how he is now having barely played since a long term injury. Add in Stones' lack of game time and the main issue at left back and we can certainly be got at.

Such a shame that when we get such a plethora of attacking talent that we also have such issues in defence.

• Like 2

Well done Gareth Southgate for picking players in the best form and not on name alone. This sets a high bar for future squads and will encourage the likes of Grealish, Maddison and Rashford to either do better or move clubs to play regular football. 

Team to start v Serbia 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇷🇸 

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi Trippier

Wharton Rice

Saka    Bellingham   Foden

Kane

COME ON ENGLAND!

• Like 6