BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Yamal a permanent fixture despite being 16 because he's good enough, whereas England won't even use some 20+ year olds because of their age despite playing others of similar ages because of their clubs. 

England need to get out of this attitude of name and club power as well as this turgid anti-football mentality.

Also, Spain showing us what a team with an actual chance of winning the trophy looks like. Georgia have been well but Spain have dominated and forced the opposition to play their game, rather than playing all timid.

• Like 6

• Backroom

Georgia gave it a go, but the gulf in class was too much in the end. If Georgia has scored on one of their counters when it was 1-0 or 1-1 it could have made things very interesting, but it wasn't to be and ultimately Spain deserved to go through as they were by far the better team. Georgia can be proud of their efforts regardless, a brilliant first tournament for them. 

Spain / Germany in the quarters will take out one of the two best teams in the tournament in the last eight. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we briefly upped the tempo for 10 minutes at the end of the 90 minutes we looked better. Then as soon as we go 2-1 up it was back to walking football again.

Agree, the 3-5-2 looked like a genuine shape, albeit, it was used only briefly. Hard to judge if it could work in the future but I did like the look of Harry Kane having support up front in the form of Toney. Also, Walker as CB seemed to suit him because going forward he seems to have all but given up (like Tripper).

Well, just when every player, supporter, and coach was thinking "which manager next for England?", we get through by the skin of our teeth. The show goes on. Can't fault the drama!

We certainly haven't been tested against class opposition, yet, and we've struggled to break down the mediocre sides that we've faced. I have a feeling we will do better against a team that will try to take the game to us, such as Switzerland (who have been very good). A classic case of being more effective on the counter-attack than when we're in possession, whereby we are shit-scared of making a mistake and so pass it from side to side and back again.

We're good when we're quick on the ball. We're crap when we're not. So just do the former and we might get to the semis.

• Like 3

On 28/06/2024 at 22:05, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I always turn the sound off irrespective of who is commentating. I can’t be doing with any of them telling me what is obvious. None of them are particularly insightful.

I would have give you 5 thumbs up if it was allowed for your comment. Don't mind the football, but the commentators screaming down the microphone like they've just won the national lottery, give me a splitting headache. And Neville and co talking shite an hour after it's finished.

Has one of the England players won the £180,000,000 jackpot on Euromillions, with the luck they have had in the euros I would'nt be surprised. The way they've played so far they should be one of the minnows next tournament.

• Backroom
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Great stat on bbc five live - Southgate has now won more knockout games than all England managers 1967 to 2016 put together (!!).

Some signficiant caveats there, particularly when it comes to both the WC and the Euros being continuously expanded to include increasingly weaker teams which make it easier to qualify, easier to get out of the group and easier to win earlier knockout games. 

In terms of tournament statistics, it would be difficult to compare Southgate with any manager pre-2000 simply because of how much the tournaments have changed structurally. The 1992 Euros had 8 teams, now there's 24. 

Also have to factor in that many England managers post-Robson didn't have the amount of tournaments Southate has had. Venables had one, Euro 96. Hoddle had one, World Cup 98. 

I think you could argue quite sensibly that the only managers Southgate can be directly compared to on most metrics are Sven and Roy. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, DE. said:

Also have to factor in that many England managers post-Robson didn't have the amount of tournaments Southate has had. Venables had one, Euro 96. Hoddle had one, World Cup 98. 

I think you could argue quite sensibly that the only managers Southgate can be directly compared to on most metrics are Sven and Roy. 

On these points though, OP was posting a stat about all England managers in that period combined, not just any England manager. So it doesn't really matter how long any of them stayed in situ. Slight exception for the argument that continuity breeds success.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Has one of the England players won the £180,000,000 jackpot on Euromillions, with the luck they have had in the euros I would'nt be surprised. The way they've played so far they should be one of the minnows next tournament.

If Gareth Southgate ever asks you if you fancy a game of cards you know to tell him to do one.

I've never seen anyone get so lucky with the draws they get.

• Backroom
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

On these points though, OP was posting a stat about all England managers in that period combined, not just any England manager. So it doesn't really matter how long any of them stayed in situ. Slight exception for the argument that continuity breeds success.

True, but it still makes it look more impressive than it is to say 1967 - 2016 when it's arguably not really comparable until 2000, or 1996 at a push. 

Edited by DE.

Every club that has a player in the England squad has a rescue job after this tournament.

Every player will need restoring to the level and style of play they are capable of.

• Like 1