BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Given the suspensions and injuries looks like we will have to go to 3 at the back?

Wonder if we could go back to how we played at WC 2018 and ask Palmer to do the Stirling/Son role and run beyond Kane?

Pickering

Walker.    Stones.   Konsa

TAA.     Bellingham   Rice.   Foden    Saka

Palmer.    Kane.  

Feels like it could work? We've got a whole week to prepare and it's a system we have used previously so feels doable.

Any more cards, it will be 1 at the back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There is no comparison.

Well said, it was sport in the 60s, score and back to the centre circle, none of the kissing each other and will you marry me celebrations in the modern game.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Why are Spain still attacking when they’re already ahead?

Gareth will be outraged.

Spain don't settle for a nail biting finish, most teams hopes, daylight between you and your opponents.

14 hours ago, roverandout said:

I don't care what people say I need something to hold onto.  Getting to the quarters is keeping me going. In the last year I've lost both my parents and my job. I'm just happy we're through 

I have been through it mate in the past I am now 66 (could be an omen for the euros) 66. Lose your parents your job is life worth carrying on. You need something to hang on to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

I have no fear over Switzerland.  Yes they're well organised but player wise pretty bang average.

They've looked better than we have.

I'm not complacent about this game at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

He didn’t use to seem this way.

Maybe it’s part of moving to Madrid.

Maybe we all forget how young he is and what he's already experienced at 21? Can't compare this to the 60's when the players lived 'normal' lives.

Some of today's players turn out to be knobs and some turn out to be good lads - just like in the rest of the population. And the 'knob / good lad' balance seems a lot better today than the late 90's / early 2000's.

I suspect a lot of this depends on family and agent influence - (almost!) makes you feel sorry for Myles Anderson!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Is Gareth Southgate a Crystal Palace supporter in disguise, still no Adam Wharton gametime. It's because Crystal Palace will have to pay Rovers a £1,000,000 if he plays.

He was at Palace in his youth and played over 150 senior games for them .

He's probably quite fond of them.

He should be playing Adam to boost the value Palace get when they sell him.

Southgate runs England like a 'Pals" society, Adam had been proposed for membership but apparently not yet seconded.

Meanwhile Spain play a 16 year old because they select based on ability and form. It shows.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

Portugal were mud on the way to winning euro 16. No one remembers how bad they played.  France were pretty average on their way to winning 2018. Even Argentina didn't look particularly impressive at the last world cup 

Everyone remembers how poor Portugal were. The fact that they won one game after 90 minutes is always mentioned.

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

Bellingham is one of England's most likeable players 

Would say a lot about the others.

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

I have no fear over Switzerland.  Yes they're well organised but player wise pretty bang average.  We've been shit, no doubting that but I'm expecting at least one great performance this tournament.  I'd like to think it will be this Saturday 

It seems remiss to write them off as bang average considering the respective performances especially in the last 16. They look more than merely organised, lots of pace and movement in attack and Xhaka can dictate the game.

30 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He was at Palace in his youth and played over 150 senior games for them .

He's probably quite fond of them.

He should be playing Adam to boost the value Palace get when they sell him.

Southgate runs England like a 'Pals" society, Adam had been proposed for membership but apparently not yet seconded.

Meanwhile Spain play a 16 year old because they select based on ability and form. It shows.

Well said, that's why Spain are looking favourites to win the euros, their manager is not frightened of playing a 16 year old young talent. Fortune favours the brave, Alex ferguson at Old trafford for example.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Given the suspensions and injuries looks like we will have to go to 3 at the back?

Wonder if we could go back to how we played at WC 2018 and ask Palmer to do the Stirling/Son role and run beyond Kane?

Pickering

Walker.    Stones.   Konsa

TAA.     Bellingham   Rice.   Foden    Saka

Palmer.    Kane.  

Feels like it could work? We've got a whole week to prepare and it's a system we have used previously so feels doable.

I think that team looks promising, though tempted to have Toney in there. I think England are caught between possession football and something more direct. Having width on the left will make a big difference, however, I still maintain the problem is less personnel selections and more strategy. Foden could stay out wide. Saka could get the ball and whip crosses in, as Palmer does. But they don't and are trying to play like a Guardiola or Arteta side and failing.

A really noticeable aspect of England's game is how they struggle to break the press of the opposition forward and midfield. With Stones, Walker and others in there, it's a surprise and I really don't full understand it. Somewhere, they are getting it wrong - perhaps, the midfield not positioning themselves right - because they surely have the technical ability to pass it out comfortably from the back.

Posted (edited)

Just maybe,just maybe we raise our game against better opposition?🤔

Has the overriding mentality been just turn up to win so far...we see it so many times back home in cup games against lesser teams.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

UEFA Ethics Committee are investigating this gesture towards the Slovakian bench by Bellingham.

He could be in trouble here and potentially suspended.

• Backroom
Just now, arbitro said:

UEFA Ethics Committee are investigating this gesture towards the Slovakian bench by Bellingham.

He could be in trouble here and potentially suspended.

Looking more and more like a tosser as the tournament progresses.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Looking more and more like a tosser as the tournament progresses.

I'm perplexed as to why he would do it particularly knowing that it would be picked up somewhere and made public. Personally I think it's offensive and wouldn't argue if he was banned.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm perplexed as to why he would do it particularly knowing that it would be picked up somewhere and made public. Personally I think it's offensive and wouldn't argue if he was banned.

If I was being charitable, then maybe he just got caught up in the drama & emotion of the moment (last minute equaliser etc), or maybe he lacks the brain capacity to weigh up that he may face consequences for his actions.

It did surprise me, as he had seemed more level headed than that when I've seen him speak in interviews etc previously. 

I don't find it offensive, just idiotic

Edited by KentExile

15 minutes ago, KentExile said:

If I was being charitable, then maybe he just got caught up in the drama & emotion of the moment (last minute equaliser etc), or maybe he lacks the brain capacity to weigh up that he may face consequences for his actions.

It did surprise me, as he had seemed more level headed than that when I've seen him speak in interviews etc previously. 

I don't find it offensive, just idiotic

He was in investigated in Spain for alleged comments to Mason Greenwood although there was no charge due to lack of evidence. I just don't like things like that and don't see a need to do it.

3 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Is Gareth Southgate a Crystal Palace supporter in disguise, still no Adam Wharton gametime. It's because Crystal Palace will have to pay Rovers a £1,000,000 if he plays.

So, he used up a squad place to take a player he was never going to play because Palace would have to pay a million quid. 

Sounds like a plan. 

28 minutes ago, M_B said:

So, he used up a squad place to take a player he was never going to play because Palace would have to pay a million quid. 

Sounds like a plan. 

Well he did take a player who was not fit enough to play.