BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Thomas Tuchel then…

55 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Hang on, you're saying we need to develop English managers through the St George's park set up, citing the Spanish national coach's route to the senior team as a reference, and then pick 2 people who haven't managed England at any level whatsoever?

Luis De La Fuente might have been unknown to us but he's been involved in the youth teams of the Spanish national team since 2013. Who's done that for England? Carsely has done it for 4 years and looks to be a complete car crash at senior level.

No I posted what I read about the English FA worried that appointing a foreign manager would say about their coaching system and given their investment into English coaching and St. George's park set up..

Lampard did his coaching badges at St.Georges park. 

I think Spain picked De La Fuente cos they wantes someone who knew the players coming through and knew they have quality players coming through. 

There hasn't been the same level of long term planning by the FA, so we have no one like that to call upon.

They want Southgate to carry on. 

At best, they could give Carsely the job and hope it works out, if that's the route you want to go down.

I still think Carsley is the one they want to appoint ideally but I'm unconvinced he really wants it.

1 minute ago, bazza said:

I think England are awful. Watching paint dry.

It's amazing that we supposedly have so many world class creative players yet all they do is pass slowly forward, turn around and pass slowly back again. It's been a problem for a while, we created nothing the entire Euros either. 

Compare that to Spain for example who were explosive with their attacking and caused constant issues for their opponents.

Edited by RTM08
  • Like 2

Just reading YouTube comments on itv channel, people praising england. I must have watched a different game, thought defensively they were dreadful, going forward they were lethargic and again an england manager who fails to take advantage of having a world class striker. Poor. Yes, Watkins did something different when he came on that's why subs are there they aren't there to make things shite.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, London blue said:

I'm still reeling over the Lampard comment.

Gerrard and Lampard job-share?

The more I think about it, what really matters, I think, is getting the youth set-up right, up to U21s, in particular. If England are regularly winning at these levels, it will translate to the seniors. There's been a lot of catch-up as England players can play possession football now. But, they need to find a way to implement possession football according to their strengths. In the recent Euros, with Phillips & Henderson in the middle with Sterling leading the charge, attack-minded full backs, they seemed to be edging very cautiously towards finding a style under Southgate but it's all unraveled, it seems.

I think a lot of players and managers are caught in two minds in the modern game. Possession is God - but creating a chance requires taking risks and possibly losing the ball.

Edited by riverholmes

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I think a lot of players and managers are caught in two minds in the modern game. Possession is God - but creating a chance requires taking risks and possibly losing the ball.

Hit the nail on the head there. I want to see a bit of risk-taking.

Frank Lampard 😂 at least it caused a laugh in an otherwise boring international break as it surely cant be a serious suggestion.

On what grounds (being English and/or a good player in his day dont count) should a managerial failure like him even be considered for the England job?

Unfortunately the coaches in this country are not of the required standard at this point in time. Look at the people suggested, Potter failed at Chelsea (and did ok at Brighton and Swansea but nothing groundbreaking), O'Neil is on the verge of the sack at Wolves and people like Lampard are joke suggestions. Howe is the only decent suggestion and he himself has question marks notably over whether he would be interested.

Ive never been comfortable with the idea of boxing managers off based on nationality. Capello didnt fail just because he wasnt English, he is an individual in his own right who failed, he isnt foreign manager A. Equally, this idea of copying Spain because an internal appointment worked for them implies that its just down to a formula of coming through the age groups = success. De La Fuentes is again an individual manager, he isnt just an example of the success youll get going down that path. Weve tried to copy off other countries before and its not as simple as that. Hopefully Carsley rules himself out of consideration because he seems out of his depth in such a pressured, senior job.

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Frank Lampard 😂 at least it caused a laugh in an otherwise boring international break as it surely cant be a serious suggestion.

On what grounds (being English and/or a good player in his day dont count) should a managerial failure like him even be considered for the England job?

Unfortunately the coaches in this country are not of the required standard at this point in time. Look at the people suggested, Potter failed at Chelsea (and did ok at Brighton and Swansea but nothing groundbreaking), O'Neil is on the verge of the sack at Wolves and people like Lampard are joke suggestions. Howe is the only decent suggestion and he himself has question marks notably over whether he would be interested.

Ive never been comfortable with the idea of boxing managers off based on nationality. Capello didnt fail just because he wasnt English, he is an individual in his own right who failed, he isnt foreign manager A. Equally, this idea of copying Spain because an internal appointment worked for them implies that its just down to a formula of coming through the age groups = success. De La Fuentes is again an individual manager, he isnt just an example of the success youll get going down that path. Weve tried to copy off other countries before and its not as simple as that. Hopefully Carsley rules himself out of consideration because he seems out of his depth in such a pressured, senior job.

Your point about English coaches/managers just not being good enough is spot on. The FA don't seem to have had much long term planning or a contingency for when Southgate inevitably left his role. 

Could be a very rough few years for us if we are just trying to shoehorn in a manager based purely off the fact they are English.

Wiegman gets lauded for her achievements with the Lionesses (given a CBE to boot) and no one gives a toss that she's Dutch. Don't know why we make such a big deal over it for the mens team.

Like you say, the hard truth is that we just don't have any English coaches that are good enough right now and rectifying that is a long term solution not and overnight fix.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13233817/thomas-tuchel-to-england-former-chelsea-and-bayern-munich-manager-in-pole-position-for-job-with-the-fa-in-talk

Skysports now reporting that The FA are in talks with Tuchel over taking the job. An enquiry allegedly went to Pep as well, but no dice.

He's only managed to stay in a role for longer than 2 years once in a career of six jobs.... Feels like it will end in tears!

• Like 1

Tuchel would be a surprise appointment in that I expected the FA to go for a clean cut Englishman and would be reluctant to go down this route.

But unfortunately the standard of English coaches is poor (hence why the joke suggestion of Lampard was even made) and Tuchel has proven himself at the top level, including in knockout competition.

I still think the squad is overrated as a whole in that we have had such good luck with draws in previous tournaments and although we have some brilliant players, in the main the attacking ones all want to operate in the same areas and there are some big weaknesses around that. But I would feel more confident in having someone with Tuchel's CV.

• Like 2

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

He's only managed to stay in a role for longer than 2 years once in a career of six jobs.... Feels like it will end in tears!

Yeah, but Carsley already appears to be in tears. 

I'd take 2 years and the next tournament. 

Tbh, don't know why they're always desperate to give 4/5 year contracts. 

Just do it to end of next competition and say we'll review after that. I know it then leaves us exposed to manager getting poached, but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue with the National job. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tuchel would be a surprise appointment in that I expected the FA to go for a clean cut Englishman and would be reluctant to go down this route.

But unfortunately the standard of English coaches is poor (hence why the joke suggestion of Lampard was even made) and Tuchel has proven himself at the top level, including in knockout competition.

I still think the squad is overrated as a whole in that we have had such good luck with draws in previous tournaments and although we have some brilliant players, in the main the attacking ones all want to operate in the same areas and there are some big weaknesses around that. But I would feel more confident in having someone with Tuchel's CV.

The only weakness is left-back and goalkeeper