BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Thomas Tuchel then…

14 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

My parents' knackered old dog would be a better choice than Lampard.

@chaddyrovers if it came to a straight choice between Pep, Klopp and Frank Lampard, would you still insist on Lamps as he is English?

I would say the only time nationality should come into it is if all other factors are equal eg if Pep and Anchelotti were going for the Spain job.

Honestly I would have been gutted to end up with Lampard as the Ireland manager, (not because he is not Irish) and we basically gave the job away in a raffle.

Edited by Blow-in
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Silas said:

Yeah, but Carsley already appears to be in tears. 

I'd take 2 years and the next tournament. 

Tbh, don't know why they're always desperate to give 4/5 year contracts. 

Just do it to end of next competition and say we'll review after that. I know it then leaves us exposed to manager getting poached, but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue with the National job. 

I think most successful teams (including England under Southgate) have had longer term managers. Not many have got much out of short term coaches. Obviously not an iron rule, but it makes sense that it takes a long time with the infrequency of matches to build out an effective style of play. France, Spain, Argentina, Germany all have had their success with longer term managers.

But if he's the best option I am not against it.

• Like 1

It does not bother me at all where the England manager comes from. I just want them to win a Euros or World Cup.

I don't like the fact that English candidates are thin on the ground which points to a larger problem within the game that will be hard to solve as long as the Premier League continues to be a global brand. 

The last English manager of a top division winning team was Howard Wilkinson in 1991-92 with Leeds. The first non-British manager to win it was Arsene Wenger in 1997-98. 

Spain has something like 5x as many UEFA qualified coaches than England.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

The only weakness is left-back and goalkeeper 

Centre backs are not top class by any means and there is a big issue in finding someone to play next to Rice, players with potential but nothing more.

And all of the best attackers want to play in the same areas.

Undoubtedly have some very good players but equally I think some of those perhaps hide how imbalanced our pool of players is. Left back you mention, we dont even have any decent left backs, just a total absence hence calls for Newcastle squad players and players who have predominantly played in the Championship.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Centre backs are not top class by any means and there is a big issue in finding someone to play next to Rice, players with potential but nothing more.

And all of the best attackers want to play in the same areas.

Undoubtedly have some very good players but equally I think some of those perhaps hide how imbalanced our pool of players is. Left back you mention, we dont even have any decent left backs, just a total absence hence calls for Newcastle squad players and players who have predominantly played in the Championship.

I think gomes has cemented his place in there now 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The last English manager of a top division winning team was Howard Wilkinson in 1991-92 with Leeds

Heard on radio today last English manager to win a major trophy was Harry Redknapp in 2008. And that was just the League Cup.

Awful record for homegrown managers in the supposed top league in World. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Silas said:

Heard on radio today last English manager to win a major trophy was Harry Redknapp in 2008. And that was just the League Cup.

Awful record for homegrown managers in the supposed top league in World. 

It really is awful.

As I said earlier it's a byproduct of the Premier League being a global brand. Only a third of the players in it are English so why would clubs predominantly owned by non-Brits take their time to develop English managers? Especially when the threat of relegation is hanging overhead.

Until coaching levels catch up with Spain and Germany English managers will be second rate. 

The best 2 mangers around at the moment are Guardiola and Ancelotti. Both were excellent players, and both started their foray into management away from the spotlight.

Ex England players tend to get fast tracked into top jobs without the qualifications or experience to handle the role. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Ex England players tend to get fast tracked into top jobs without the qualifications or experience to handle the role

And then crash and burn, pretty fast. It's a familiar story isn't it.

Just realised I got that wrong, it was FA Cup for Redknapp with Portsmouth. Getting confused with Spurs League Cup win that year, which was Juande Ramos.

And didn't Harry pretty much bankrupt them to get that trophy. Says it all. English managers have an awful record. 

• Like 1

Have to say it’s a staggering appointment.  It doesn’t bother me personally England now have a German manager but there will be considerable opposition from a large percentage of fans who oppose having any foreign manager and the fact a German is in charge with all the history involved will cause many to blow a fuse.

Talking of which where’s Chaddy? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Have to say it’s a staggering appointment.  It doesn’t bother me personally England now have a German manager but there will be considerable opposition from a large percentage of fans who oppose having any foreign manager and the fact a German is in charge with all the history involved will cause many to blow a fuse.

Can only assume he'll be abstaining from watching the England games from now on, as he set his stall out loud and clear.

• Like 1

I can understand the logic of saying that managers must be eligible to represent the country in the same way players must be eligible but whilst we are allowed to appoint whoever we want we should go out and get the best we can get. I'd rather win something with a foreign manager than lose trying to make Lampard a good manager. 

Happy with Tuchel as something different. Decent manager let's hope he can get a tune out of this squad.

He'll have to hit the ground running I reckon as it won't take people long to turn on a German manager getting a bad result for England

Edited by RoverDom
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Silas said:

And then crash and burn, pretty fast. It's a familiar story isn't it.

Just realised I got that wrong, it was FA Cup for Redknapp with Portsmouth. Getting confused with Spurs League Cup win that year, which was Juande Ramos.

And didn't Harry pretty much bankrupt them to get that trophy. Says it all. English managers have an awful record. 

It is and it will continue. 

12 minutes ago, Silas said:

Happy with that. 

Nothing against Carsley but when he first got the gig I thought he'd be a shoe in for permanent position. 

And it didn't fill me with optimism. 

Me too. He has pedigree, has won trophies, managed star players, and understands the English football media. He also has time to get acquainted with the role before the World Cup qualifiers start. His first task is to beat Greece next month. 

Carsley had no appetite for the job. He wants to be out of the spotlight. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

What's the problem with a German? Is it because we've generally found it difficult to beat them in football? Is it something to do with two world wars? If the latter we've had more war trouble with France and Spain over the centuries. Perhaps we should have gone for a Portuguese who have been our friends for about 600 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ABBEY said:

i would ..cant stand klopp

You'd have been in a minority pal. I'm not bothered either way, england cricket boys are doing perfectly well with a foreign manager, its pretty much accepted and normal in cricket.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He’s with the producers of the ‘Who do think you are?’ tv programme and found out Tuchel’s great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was born in Daventry, so he’s now more than happy with the appointment.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Err think you’ll find he still lives in west London and his son goes to school here.’

He's born and bred mate.

Personally I think the manager should be from the country they are managing. If you want to play for your country you have to be of that nationality, I don't see why it should be any different for the managers.

The F.A. have absolutely decimated the game in this country. It is starved at every level just to fuel the bloated, turgid, disgusting premier league just so those in positions of power can line their pockets.

Not having a single English manager win the premier league is an absolute embarrassment.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have appointed Tuchel. Far too volatile he has track record for falling out with players and club owners/board. 

I dont see this being long term appointment and just be clear again I wouldn't appointed him. I stand by my comments that it should be Englishman. 

Carsley tied himself in knots cos he knew Tuchel deal was close. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

What's the problem with a German? Is it because we've generally found it difficult to beat them in football? Is it something to do with two world wars? If the latter we've had more war trouble with France and Spain over the centuries. Perhaps we should have gone for a Portuguese who have been our friends for about 600 years.

I'd have taken Mourinho, box office and a pedigree in navigating knockout tournaments. 

For me Tuchel is about as good as we could have got, we were never getting Pep and as others have said, has experience with prima donnas and the English media. 

• Like 3