BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

The only thing i was thinking throughout most off the coverage of the game was how perfect Ange Postecoglou would be as England manager!

Who and that Wharton Should have come on to replace bloody Rice and Toney

Id also have had Toney on to replace the decrepit kane

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

Terrible performance yet again to limp into the knockouts.

Absolutely no balance to the side again. The Trent experiment that Southgate stupidly thought best to trial mid tournament didnt work but Gallagher is an even worse option, not only is he not very good but hes not a holding midfielder. Rice has looked poor all tournament, hes not the best on the ball and he slows things down, he no longer plays as a sitting midfielder. We need someone to sit in next to him, Mainoo was an improvement, Wharton is the obvious choice to most albeit I dont think hes quite the missing piece of the jigsaw that others claim just yet.

Left back is another big issue, stupidly we havent taken any fit ones but we cant persist with Trippier.

In attack he is just trying to cram the best players in but they dont work together, its Lampard and Gerrard all over again. No one runs in behind and they all end up on top of each other. Kane doesnt look fit and Bellingham was an embarassment again. Foden is the one of the 3 that warrants his place the most even sidelined as a winger at the moment. Gordon needs to play and Palmer perhaps too. If Kane isnt fit then play Watkins. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Harry Kane has produced time and time again in an England shirt, Phil Foden has worn the shirt nearly 40 times now and has done barely anything of note.

He wants to play as a #10. Bellingham, Foden, and Palmer are all better #10s. He doesn't have the pace to run in behind so he just clogs the entire thing up.

He currently looks like he's running with a piano on his back. Get him benched. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He wants to play as a #10. Bellingham, Foden, and Palmer are all better #10s. He doesn't have the pace to run in behind so he just clogs the entire thing up.

He currently looks like he's running with a piano on his back. Get him benched. 

Foden might be a better player when he is being coached by Pep and surrounded by his City team mates but he doesn't do it in an England shirt. I remember people saying the same things about Kane after the group stages of the last Euro's and he ended up as our top scorer. Opposition defences will be delighted to play England and see Harry Kane sat on the bench.

The most memorable thing Foden has done as an England player was breaking covid rules in Iceland to get his leg over. Talking of Iceland Foden played in the 10 role against them for England a few weeks ago and was as he usually is in a England shirt invisible. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

16 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Foden played in the 10 role against them for England a few weeks ago and was as he usually is in a England shirt invincible. 

Isn't that a good thing?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

The only thing i was thinking throughout most off the bbc coverage of the game was how perfect Ange Postecoglou would be as England manager!

I was actually doing the exact same, although it wasn't restricted to just him, imagine Ancelotti for example with this lot.....there's a fair number of managers I'd prefer.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Though it’s en vogue to criticise Foden at the minute, whilst he was poor in the first game, I don’t think he’s been anywhere near as bad as others since. He seems to be actually improving (though granted, still not at his City form).

Saka been poor, Bellingham the same since the first game as well. Barely any of them emerging with any credit at the minute. Think Trippier’s race is run with England too. If Kane stopped trying to be prime Xavi and just got in the box, it would help as well….

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Though it’s en vogue to criticise Foden at the minute, whilst he was poor in the first game, I don’t think he’s been anywhere near as bad as others since. He seems to be actually improving (though granted, still not at his City form).

Saka been poor, Bellingham the same since the first game as well. Barely any of them emerging with any credit at the minute. Think Trippier’s race is run with England too. If Kane stopped trying to be prime Xavi and just got in the box, it would help as well….

From what I saw the whole team looked like they had absolutely no plan for how to play.

The constant back passing is a clear sign of this. Got the ball, don't know what to do with it so just pass it onto the closest guy to you.

It's international so obviously you can't get something as intricate as what say City have, but I was left wondering what exactly have they been doing for the last month in training and the friendlies. Rudderless.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 2

Every team in group E has averaged less than a goal a game, 7 goals in total scored. The worst set of games in the tournament so far. You’re better off not watching England if you want to be entertained.

Foden was one of England's better performers last night, the amount of times he was in great positions in the pocket screaming for the ball only for Rice to shit the bed and pass backwards was beyond a joke. We played a back 4 with single pivot against a low block, that's madness. Rice sat in his own half popping the ball around backwards and sidewards under no pressure thinking he's prime Busquets, turn it in. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, thats where England are at, no depth, no width just mindless sideways and backward passing in the middle of the pitch.

Kane needs to be hooked and told if he wants to be a 10 then there are plenty of spaces on the bench, causes so many problems with the press with him so deep. He doesn't press so midfielders jump out of the line leaving huge gaps, Slovenia played through England a few times last night and they are ultimately a bit shit. Imagine this shower against one of the form teams like Spain, Austria, Germany, it would be a cricket score.

The game was crying out for Wharton last night, the one man in the team who can pick a pass in congested areas high up the pitch, yet he's nowhere to be seen. Sums Southgate up, his only concern is not losing, zero ambition to win.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Harry Kane has produced time and time again in an England shirt, Phil Foden has worn the shirt nearly 40 times now and has done barely anything of note.

Thats only because he always gets picked and rarely misses a game and the entire team has been built around him for nearly 10 years! so just by law of averages he's going to score occasionally 

You do the same with any other half decent prem centre forward and you'd get pretty much the same results 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

The game was crying out for Wharton last night, the one man in the team who can pick a pass in congested areas high up the pitch, yet he's nowhere to be seen. Sums Southgate up, his only concern is not losing, zero ambition to win.

Agreed, Gallagher was ineffective/losing the ball - Wharton would have been the best bet on opening that game up. Needs a creative player in the middle..

I do feel we may be better against a team not sitting back. 

3 minutes ago, DackDackGoose said:

Agreed, Gallagher was ineffective/losing the ball - Wharton would have been the best bet on opening that game up. Needs a creative player in the middle..

I do feel we may be better against a team not sitting back. 

The worry I have is playing a team who are still happy to frustrate us, but have the players to hurt us on the break. A team who genuinely want to go toe-to-toe with us will result in a totally different game to those that we've seen so far. 

Obviously I'd rather have Slovakia (for example) in the next round than the Netherlands, but you almost think playing the Dutch is exactly what we need just now, 

23 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Foden was one of England's better performers last night, the amount of times he was in great positions in the pocket screaming for the ball only for Rice to shit the bed and pass backwards was beyond a joke. We played a back 4 with single pivot against a low block, that's madness. Rice sat in his own half popping the ball around backwards and sidewards under no pressure thinking he's prime Busquets, turn it in. 

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, thats where England are at, no depth, no width just mindless sideways and backward passing in the middle of the pitch.

Kane needs to be hooked and told if he wants to be a 10 then there are plenty of spaces on the bench, causes so many problems with the press with him so deep. He doesn't press so midfielders jump out of the line leaving huge gaps, Slovenia played through England a few times last night and they are ultimately a bit shit. Imagine this shower against one of the form teams like Spain, Austria, Germany, it would be a cricket score.

We play in front of teams all the time. The one time we got to the byline we scored albeit an off side goal.

• Like 1

I was hoping Gallagher got booked so he would miss the knock out round. Is that bad?

Mainoo provided some much needed emphasis but alone it wasn't enough. I think Palmer improved us massively and on another day may have got his goal at the end. A rather tame finish, but he got squared up on the ball as he was a yard or two behind where he should have been, so getting that bend was difficult

It was just a dull, nothing performance that has become typical of England this summer. No emphasis on breaking down the opponent and instead focusing on ball retention and control of the game. On the few occasions we played one touch football we broke them down but it was all far too rare to tire them out

When you have that level of possession you expect the opposition to be struggling in the 2nd half. Take a look at City for that. But all of our possession came infront of them, to the side and then back. It was never in behind or making them run to their own goal. The amount of sprints Slovenia's defence had to must be miniscule in comprison to how much of the ball we had

For me there needs to be a big change but it is clear it is not coming. When he brought TAA on at 0-0 I almost lost the plot.

Somebody made a good point to me today: why didn't he start Saka at left back? We had total domination of the ball; it could allow Foden to move inside and Saka to push forward and provide natural width on the left. Okay, Saka is not the greatest defender, but Guehi, Stones and Walker had more than enough to cover that back line

Overall, Southgate is just adventurous enough and we can expect more of this bland football until we play against a better team and get punished

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I was hoping Gallagher got booked so he would miss the knock out round. Is that bad?

Mainoo provided some much needed emphasis but alone it wasn't enough. I think Palmer improved us massively and on another day may have got his goal at the end. A rather tame finish, but he got squared up on the ball as he was a yard or two behind where he should have been, so getting that bend was difficult

It was just a dull, nothing performance that has become typical of England this summer. No emphasis on breaking down the opponent and instead focusing on ball retention and control of the game. On the few occasions we played one touch football we broke them down but it was all far too rare to tire them out

When you have that level of possession you expect the opposition to be struggling in the 2nd half. Take a look at City for that. But all of our possession came infront of them, to the side and then back. It was never in behind or making them run to their own goal. The amount of sprints Slovenia's defence had to must be miniscule in comprison to how much of the ball we had

For me there needs to be a big change but it is clear it is not coming. When he brought TAA on at 0-0 I almost lost the plot.

Somebody made a good point to me today: why didn't he start Saka at left back? We had total domination of the ball; it could allow Foden to move inside and Saka to push forward and provide natural width on the left. Okay, Saka is not the greatest defender, but Guehi, Stones and Walker had more than enough to cover that back line

Overall, Southgate is just adventurous enough and we can expect more of this bland football until we play against a better team and get punished

Yeah agreed... I was against going to 343 and playing Saka left wing back but we have to do it as I can't see how we decongest the number 10 area. 

It all points to dropping Bellingham - he's been really poor since the first half against Serbia. Kane has to play due to his record, we need Palmer and Gordon on for their forward runs - they will get beyond Kane which Bellingham and Foden won't do. Foden has been better but again how do you get him where he needs to be with Kane dropping in where Foden's playing.

Only option apart from dropping Bellingham and Foden is to not bring in Mainoo and ask one of them to play alongside Rice but I don't think Southgate will do that in a 343.

It's a massive call to drop Foden and Bellingham but I can't see how we get the balance right without dropping at least one of them.

We're in a really bizarre position where we might actually be better off if one of Kane, Foden or Bellingham became unavailable. We can't keep shoehorning them all in.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah agreed... I was against going to 343 and playing Saka left wing back but we have to do it as I can't see how we decongest the number 10 area. 

It all points to dropping Bellingham - he's been really poor since the first half against Serbia. Kane has to play due to his record, we need Palmer and Gordon on for their forward runs - they will get beyond Kane which Bellingham and Foden won't do. Foden has been better but again how do you get him where he needs to be with Kane dropping in where Foden's playing.

Only option apart from dropping Bellingham and Foden is to not bring in Mainoo and ask one of them to play alongside Rice but I don't think Southgate will do that in a 343.

It's a massive call to drop Foden and Bellingham but I can't see how we get the balance right without dropping at least one of them.

We're in a really bizarre position where we might actually be better off if one of Kane, Foden or Bellingham became unavailable. We can't keep shoehorning them all in.

Drop Kane, play Bellingham up front. Bring in Palmer and Wharton for Gallagher.

The FA really needs to pay me £5m a year. 

I think Bellinghams problem is due to his age and relative inexperience he's trying to do everyones job a la Steven Gerrard circa 2005, the game is very different now and even the 'poor' teams are fairly well drilled tactically. As a result of this he's not where he should be most the time and is trying to force passes and openings that aren't there. He gave the ball away so much last night, he's a fantastic footballer but he's showing his immaturity in this tournament. Not having a Kroos, Modric, Valverde in there with him is showing in my opinion. As much as the British media wants Rice to be a world class CDM/CM, he isn't, and it's being exposed here with a negative effect on Bellingham. It was made even

worse by having the wind chaser Gallagher in there last night.

18 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

A brilliant take.

This is hilarious and so true "Harry Kane ..... lumbers around the pitch like a grizzly bear emerging from hibernation looking for leftovers in the litter bins"

😂 😂 😂 😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Surely Bellingham in the middle with Rice.

That frees up the no.10 position for Foden and in turn makes space on the left for the Newcastle winger whose name escapes me.

If Bellingham cannot pull strings from. Midfield maybe he is not the world beating superstar that he is being portayed as 

The only issue might be that the last easy game to trial this might be behind you now.