BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

Spain are beatable if we go out and play like we did in the first half tonight.Trying to keep it tight will just be delaying the inevitable against them,go out and put the Spanish on the back foot.

Nah, Spain are lightyears ahead of anyone we've played. Way better than anyone in this tournament. Probably overall one of the best teams in tournament history to be brutally honest. Should beat us easily.

If we win it (and in football you always have a chance) it.will be the one of the greatest England result of all time imo. I will be watching hoping!

• Like 4

Absolutely brilliant feeling to reach the final like we did.

It still doesnt change the validity of what people have said regarding the luck of the draws that Southgate has had. Any team would love the group that we had and then a path to the final of Slovakia, Switzerland and Holland with Portugal, Spain, France and Germany all on the other side of the draw.

But Holland are a step up from who we have faced up until now, and until they made an enforced sub we were so much better bar the poor play from Rice who has been poor on the ball all tournament. Foden was incredible and Mainoo was also very good, Bellingham was very quiet often towards the left and Kane still isnt right. Southgate struggled to adapt and Holland had the better of most of a scrappy second half but his 2 subs made the difference.

Spain are the acid test now, can Southgate get us over the line. If we win, you can throw all the arguments about draws and tactics into the bin, no one will ever remember.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It still doesnt change the validity of what people have said regarding the luck of the draws that Southgate has had. Any team would love the group that we had and then a path to the final of Slovakia, Switzerland and Holland with Portugal, Spain, France and Germany all on the other side of the draw.

But Holland are a step up from who we have faced up until now, and until they made an enforced sub we were so much better bar the poor play from Rice who has been poor on the ball all tournament. Foden was incredible and Mainoo was also very good, Bellingham was very quiet often towards the left and Kane still isnt right. Southgate struggled to adapt and Holland had the better of most of a scrappy second half but his 2 subs made the difference.

Spain are the acid test now, can Southgate get us over the line. If we win, you can throw all the arguments about draws and tactics into the bin, no one will ever remember.

France were on our side of the draw. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe in your lifetime, not in mine. 

“Smart” answers don’t compensate for ignorance. The Dutch national team of the 1970s containing the likes of Cryuff and other brilliant players was one of the greatest teams to have graced the game. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Haha, same ploy from you after every game. play down the most recent victory and then say the next game is the real test. 

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, M_B said:

France were on our side of the draw. 

They weren't. They could have been, I presume all teams could but based on results totally out of control all of the best teams fell on the other side.

10 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Haha, same nonsense from you after every game. play down the most recent victory and then say the next game is the real test. 

It is the real test. The chance to actually win a tournament which ends any talk about lucky draws etc and makes Southgate an undoubted legend of English football and presumably would see him knighted.

I gave him kudos tonight, we played very well in the first half allowing for the luck we got from the referee which you need at times and his subs won us the game.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

They weren't. They could have been, I presume all teams could but based on results totally out of control all of the best teams fell on the other side.

It is the real test. The chance to actually win a tournament which ends any talk about lucky draws etc and makes Southgate an undoubted legend of English football and presumably would see him knighted.

I gave him kudos tonight, we played very well in the first half allowing for the luck we got from the referee which you need at times and his subs won us the game.

He’s passed every test this Euros. The final is just the next one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forever Blue said:

He’s passed every test this Euros. The final is just the next one. 

Of course. He has been fortunate that the tests he has faced have been favourable in terms of what they could have been, thats tournament football where you dont play the same games as everyone else, but we have passed them all.

• Like 1

One thing I would say. When a squad is named, amidst the tournament anticipation, lots is made of decisions deemed controversial which tend to be of players that will likely feature little if at all anyway.

There was a lot of criticism that Branthwaite didnt go which was fair because he is better than Dunk and Gomez but neither has featured anyway. There was lots around Grealish and Rashford but neither deserved to go. I still think Mitchell should have gone as we have lacked a fit left wing back/left back for most of the tournament and Trippier has struggled.

But the decision to take Toney and Watkins seemed a bit pointless, it was assumed that either would only feature if Kane got injured. Kane has struggled with fitness and form and both Toney and Watkins have proved to be very worthy of a spot in the squad for diffrrent reasons so that decision has certainly been vindicated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Only absolute 🐓s say that. 

Now go to bed and sleep of the shandys. 

It was in response to the really grown up reply of

Ged a bloody grip man 

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

France were on our side of the draw, the strongest side according to the bookies, with both pre tournament favourites in it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

FFS stop the petty bitching.

Are you adults?

We just won a semi final.

Pathetic isn't it? 

Grown blokes nit picking over England reaching a euro final.! 

Doesn't matter how we got there. We are there and in with a decent chance of lifting some silverware for the first time since '66.

What more do folk want? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Pathetic isn't it? 

Grown blokes nit picking over England reaching a euro final.! 

Doesn't matter how we got there. We are there and in with a decent chance of lifting some silverware for the first time since '66.

What more do folk want? 

The way my evening went meant I had to read the thread from match KO. My mistake.

Tired, I went to sleep at 11 pm, local time, setting the alarm for 1.45 am. I heard it, woke up, closed my eyes for a moment and woke up again at 5 am!

Fortunately then immediately saw the extended highlights on the BBC and now watching the full replay. So read the thread.......

On the penalty gift its payback for what Koeman did to us in WC qualifying 30 years ago. Football levels it up given time!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The way my evening went meant I had to read the thread from match KO. My mistake.

Tired, I went to sleep at 11 pm, local time, setting the alarm for 1.45 am. I heard it, woke up, closed my eyes for a moment and woke up again at 5 am!

Fortunately then immediately saw the extended highlights on the BBC and now watching the full replay. So read the thread.......

On the penalty gift its payback for what Koeman did to us in WC qualifying 30 years ago. Football levels it up given time!

Also their goal shouldn't have stood after the foul on rice 

8 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Are you based in Bangkok mate.? 

Or some other place? 

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Nah, Spain are lightyears ahead of anyone we've played. Way better than anyone in this tournament. Probably overall one of the best teams in tournament history to be brutally honest. Should beat us easily.

If we win it (and in football you always have a chance) it.will be the one of the greatest England result of all time imo. I will be watching hoping!

Lightyears ahead? One of the best in tournament history? No way.

They are a balanced side with a fearless young star getting the headlines but they aren't miles better than everyone else. They have an average keeper, a solid yet slow back 4, and a misfiring striker. Their midfield is very good though. 

This forum has been banging on about how England have been on the soft side of the draw, but Spain have had an easy ride of it too. Although their group looked hard on paper, it wasn't. Croatia still relied on 38 year old Modric and failed to get out of the group, and that was only because an awful Italy side scored a last minute goal to send them through instead. Albania had little to offer anyone.

They beat Georgia in the last 16. A side just happy to be there.

Then they beat a completely underwhelming France side in the quarters with a wonder goal and a quick fire second shortly thereafter which forced a France team completely devoid of attacking prowess (despite a ridiculous amount of talent) to attack. 

They keep the ball well and have finished their chances. England have nothing to fear.

Incredible night. England finally showed up to the tournament in that first half, and showed great resilience in the 2nd half to soak up pressure and hit the Netherlands with the last minute sucker punch. Credit where its due and Southgate got it right with the subs last night as well.

I still feel Southgate will leave his role regardless of what happens on Sunday. People will say he's earned a shot at another tournament and I understand that, but if we win the final then what a high to go out on.

• Like 1

The striker position is the big question mark for me ahead of the final. I think it would take an absolutely gigantic pair of bollocks not to start Kane and imagine being the opposition and seeing one of Europe's best strikers sitting on the bench. 

But we scored the winner because our striker was the furthest player forward and making a run into the box. Had Kane still been on the pitch our striker would have been ambling past the half way line. Bellingham and Foden can occupy the space that Kane likes to drop into and one of Toney or Watkins can stick up top and get into the box. Also, kane is clearly not fit.

• Like 3