BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Nothing to do with the manager - or any other manager IMO.  

man for man, position for position Spain had technically superior players, superior footballers than us. Players that understand how to play the game. It’s been that way for 58 years now. We’ve had how many managers in that time? Which manager could have seen us outplay Spain tonight with that squad? I doubt anyone else could.

I haven’t got the answer why we are always second best but it’s ingrained somewhere in the development of our players.

Edited by den
  • Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, Gav said:

We’ve gone backwards since Mowbray left DE.

Not in our first season with JDT. Backwards since then, yes, but that's on Venky's. It's about making the right decisions and as it stands we're in the same place we were under TM - Championship mainstays. Similarly England are still that team who comes up short when it matters, whether it's the quarters, semis or finals. 

Let's take a chance Gav, see what these players can do if they're let off the leash. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Semi finals should always be the minimum for a footballing country such as England,it's nothing new to expect to get that far.

I agree, but expecting it and getting it are 2 different things. 

I could have said finals, but I was going easy on the new bloke. 

Southgates 'done well' by playing it safe, just like when you hired Allardyce as manager you knew you'd 'do well' by playing it safe, but you also knew you'd never actually win anything. 

We need a manager that's brave enough to let these kids off the leash to do what they do best at club level. 

Fullback/wingback spots are probably going to be a worry going forward, I don't think Walker, Shaw and Trippier will be around for another tournament.

As for Kane! He needs to be put out to pasture.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

Gutted tonight. feel for the fans there in Germany who were brilliant. Southgate has been a very good England manager and has been the best manager since Sir Alf Ramsey. He has took England team at rock bottom after the Euro 2016 lost to Iceland. 

It will be interesting to see what Southgate does whether he stays on or not. If he does leave then who is the next Englishman to take over. I'm so gutted to even think about all that logically yet. Its hurts tonight. 

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

Phenomenal effort by Southgate, he’ll be kept on if he wants the job, no doubt about that. 

He took over England when we’d been knocked out in 2016 by Iceland, posters on here have short memories. 

bunkem ...hes a national negative loser

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Lost count of the amount of times Spain opened England up like a tin of beans with one or two passes.

England have a player capable of doing that but for some reason the manager wouldn't play him even in the group games.

As I said before the tournament started, England's biggest weakness was in the dugout.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, den said:

Nothing to do with the manager - or any other manager IMO.  

man for man, position for position Spain had technically superior players, superior footballers than us. It’s been that way for 58 years now. We’ve had how many managers in that time? Which manager could have seen us outplay Spain tonight with that squad? I doubt anyone else could.

I haven’t got the answer why we are always second best but it’s ingrained somewhere in the development of our players.

Said all the way through the tournament, our players are hyped to the max. Tonight they played against technically better players. 

The delusion that Southgate leaves and we instantly start winning Euros and World Cups is staggering. We’ll look back on Gareth’s reign as a golden age for England. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gutted tonight. feel for the fans there in Germany who were brilliant. Southgate has been a very good England manager and has been the best manager since Sir Alf Ramsey. He has took England team at rock bottom after the Euro 2016 lost to Iceland. 

It will be interesting to see what Southgate does whether he stays on or not. If he does leave then who is the next Englishman to take over. I'm so gutted to even think about all that logically yet. Its hurts tonight. 

Doesn’t need to be an Englishman.  How about we get the best man for the job irrespective of where he comes from?

• Like 1

I don't buy pre tournament many people are picking Spain players ahead of England.  We've scored 0 goals from open play pre the 70th minute.  That's an indictment to how we go out and play for me. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Southgate, you aren’t the one, you never were- go away, please. Also, people that think he’s our greatest ever manager could do with going away, too.
Get a clue while you’re there too, ta.

He has achieved the best results since we won the world cup. 

Southgate deserved the respect he has earned and he has done a very good job. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Forever Blue said:

The delusion that Southgate leaves and we instantly start winning Euros and World Cups is staggering. We’ll look back on Gareth’s reign as a golden age for England. 

the fact we have a fantastic array of attacking players and he`s tried to grind out results is a bit sad really,another manager with a more progressive outlook would have had us playing a more attacking game and we would`nt have been struggling against denmark,slovakia and serbia

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Said all the way through the tournament, our players are hyped to the max. Tonight they played against technically better players. 

Potentially, but to say England don't have technical players is nonsense. The likes of Stones, Bellingham and Foden are all more than capable of playing in technical teams, we have Wharton on the bench who we all know can play that role and we have a number of attacking wingers who can play like that too. A fit Kane is also a very capable player with the ball at his feet.

Of course, playing those players in a system that relies on slow, turgid hoofball isn't exactly going to work properly. They could have performed better for sure.

There is a big argument that England have relied on players pulling moments of magic out of thin air to get where they did, because our system is ineffective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkBRFC71 said:

Doesn’t need to be an Englishman.  How about we get the best man for the job irrespective of where he comes from?

It does for me Mark as I have said many times whether its England football coach or England rugby union manager it should be English. If you disagree fine but I don't agree and I won't!!! I remember the era under Sven and Capello, and we got nowhere and never to semi Final or final despite those two having won leagues around Europe and managing some top clubs. 

Who that Englishman should be? I don't know, its to early to think about that after tonight's final 

Edited by chaddyrovers

8 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Name a poster that has said we'll suddenly start winning cups if Southgate leaves,what we know is 4 tournaments in a we do know we ain't gonna win one with him so lets move on and try someone else.

• Like 2

Strongest team we have faced and it ended up being as tough as I feared it would be. Their wingers were just too quick and talented for us, we simply couldn't cover our full back to contain them. I think we used up all our 9 lives during the tournament to scrape games, we ran out of luck.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC71 said:

History says it does matter. No foreign manager has ever won a World Cup.

Edited by Gav