BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Just heard Southgate saying our ball retention needed to be better. While Adam Wharton never got out of his tracksuit and bib. Definitely time for a change.

Anything other than a Spain victory would’ve been scandalous really. Without even taking into account how poor and boring England have been, Spain were by far the best team in the tournament. I particularly enjoyed seeing a side bucking the modern trend and playing some genuinely exciting stuff - I think the standard throughout has been generally really dull. The winning goal tonight was glorious.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Said all the way through the tournament, our players are hyped to the max. Tonight they played against technically better players. 

The delusion that Southgate leaves and we instantly start winning Euros and World Cups is staggering. We’ll look back on Gareth’s reign as a golden age for England. 

No one is deluded in thinking that Southgate leaves and we instantly start winning tournaments, just the understanding that we won't win anything under Southgate, he's taken us as far as he can and if we are to progress, we need to hand over the reigns to someone else.

Whilst I agree that our players are overhyped somewhat, it was Phil Foden who won PL player of the season not Rhodri. It was Bellingham who won La Liga player of the season not any of the rest of the Spanish squad. It was Harry Kane who won the Bundesliga golden boot. 

We have some quality players, just not a manager who can get the best out of them. Demonstrated perfectly by Southgate, as it took him 5 games to find his best starting 11 & formation. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It tells me a lot about the Prem. A lot of those players ( Rice, Saka, Foden etc ) dominate games at that level but look distinctly average at international level.

I think part of that probably comes down to how the international setup is being coached. I would imagine the setup Gareth and his team have is wildly different to what most of these players are used to under European managers/coaches. To get the best out of them you'd likely need a manager of a similar ilk to make the transition from club to international level more seamless. I don't think many of them are used to playing slow, defensive football that relies on individual moments of brilliance to win games. It's tough to expect them to adapt to that, and you could argue they've done well to do so over the past few years. 

6 minutes ago, MarkBRFC71 said:

Doesn’t need to be an Englishman.  How about we get the best man for the job irrespective of where he comes from?

Ange Postecoglou 

Would be my shout! 

Knows the English players well, has experience managing at international level, plays good attacking football, he's a lot more likeable and passionate than southgate(which I think would cause less divide amongst fans) 

He's foreign, but not too foreign! Haha I mean aussies are basically our cousins and we would be less likely to worry about coming up against Australia in a big game than we would Germany(if Klopp was chosen) 

All that said, i dont think the FA would hire a real manager again and would probably keep it in houseand promote another yes man coach. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It does for me Mark as I have said many times whether its England football coach or England rugby union manager it should be English. If you disagree fine but I don't agree and I won't!!! I remember the era under Sven and Capello, and we got nowhere and never to semi Final or final despite those two having won leagues around Europe and managing some top clubs. 

Who that Englishman should be? I don't know, its to early to think about that after tonight's final 

You missed Cricket out there,surely you think they should also have an English coach too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Southgates 'done well' by playing it safe, just like when you hired Allardyce as manager you knew you'd 'do well' by playing it safe, but you also knew you'd never actually win anything. 

We need a manager that's brave enough to let these kids off the leash to do what they do best at club level. 

Fullback/wingback spots are probably going to be a worry going forward, I don't think Walker, Shaw and Trippier will be around for another tournament.

As for Kane! He needs to be put out to pasture.

Difficult act to follow is Kane , not many English centre forwards in the Premier League...

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Name a poster that has said we'll suddenly start winning cups if Southgate leaves,what we know is 4 tournaments in a we do know we ain't gonna win one with him so lets move on and try someone else.

Who do you think will win England a WC or a Euros?

Just now, Forever Blue said:

Who do you think will win England a WC or a Euros?

It's not about who would definitely win one, it's about giving someone the chance. 

Gareth has had 4 chances now and has scraped his way through easier runs and been tactically outclassed every time the going has gotten tough. He clearly is unwilling to choose players on form or to change things until things start going wrong. We know he is incapable. 

Having someone else try something new and fall short doesn't exactly vindicate the current manager, who has also won sweet FA. 

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

• Backroom
Posted (edited)

To be fair to Kane, he has a good tournament record for us. Looking at the ratio at which his goals are spread out, he's at almost a goal a game in the WC and 7/17 in the  Euros which isn't to be sniffed at, albeit not great. It's obvious we don't play to his strengths at all under Southgate, and arguably never really have, but he's continued scoring despite that. Problem is that, goals aside, he's not able to contribute anything else under Gareth's system. He'll be 33 next tournament, so one imagines there's a good chance someone else will need to step up. Not entirely sure who that will be, but in terms of pure goalscoring Kane will be a tough act to follow. In terms of the other areas of play, less so, and maybe that will be given bigger focus as Kane fades out of the team - either by WC 2026 or almost certainly by Euro 2028. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

Southgate should step down. I'm contradicting what I said earlier but that's the 3rd time in 2 finals and semi final where we've got ourselves into a good position and then sat back. We need a winners mentality 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forever Blue said:

So you can’t think of one? He’ll have to be good to get England to two major finals. 

I can think of a few but it's not my job to pick the next manager,hopefully the next manager will have a luck in the draws that Southgate has had.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RTM08 said:

It's not about who would definitely win one, it's about giving someone the chance. 

Gareth has had 4 chances now and has scraped his way through easier runs and been tactically outclassed every time the going has gotten tough. He clearly is unwilling to choose players on form or to change things until things start going wrong. We know he is incapable. 

Having someone else try something new and fall short doesn't exactly vindicate the current manager, who has also won sweet FA. 

I called out his total lack of ability before this tournament started and some people got very upset and defended him to the hilt.

I said that England wouldn't win anything with him in charge.

They got to a final after winning only two games and playing some absolutely woeful opposition.

The final itself they weren't even close. As soon as Spain stepped up a gear England were nowhere near.

None of this is for a lack of talent, England have some great players but with absolutely no game plan failure is all but assured.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Darrenbot said:

I can think of a few but it's not my job to pick the next manager,hopefully the next manager will have a luck in the draws that Southgate has had.

Nobody’s asking you to annoint the new manager lol, just give an opinion on who you would want to replace GS?

• Like 1