BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

2 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Nobody’s asking you to annoint the new manager lol, just give an opinion on who you would want to replace GS?

Who would i want,?Pep,Klopp, Ancelotti would be my top 3 choices but we aren't getting them so i'll leave it to the FA 

11 hours ago, M_B said:

Anyone can doubt whatever they want, that's up to them,it is a discussion forum. 

To me, if we win tonight then the evidence is there to see,i don't really see what grounds anyone could doubt it, enlighten me. 

If people, quite a lot of them, are doubting it, it's in doubt.

• Moderation Lead

So, everything in context- the same manager has just lost the last two Euros in the final and people want him to stay on?

A strange flex indeed, IMO.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Posted (edited)

A stat from the BBC live page:

"England boss Gareth Southgate has become the first manager in European Championship history to end on the losing side in two finals."

An interesting one as I imagine there probably aren't many managers who have led their country to two Euro finals, whether losing them or not. So not necessarily a stick to beat Gareth with, but eight years is a long time. According to this article in March 2021 he was the 12th longest serving international manager in Europe. Cherchesov has since left Russia, Martinez has left Belgium, Shevchenko has left Ukraine, Andersson has left Sweden, Angelovski is still at N. Macedonia, Santos has left Portugal, Petkovic has left Switzerland, Deschamps is still with France, Holtz is still at Luxembourg, Alvarez is still at Andorra and Low has left Germany. 

So, assuming that list is accurate, Southgate would now be 4th longest reigning international manager in europe? Of larger nations the longest behind Deschamps, but Deschamps did win the world cup for France in 2018. I would imagine, in terms of the bigger nations, Gareth's tenure is probably one of the longest without winning anything - which may also be why he's the first to lose two European finals. 

Edited by DE.

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

So, everything in context- the same manager has just lost the last two Euros in the final and people want him to stay on?

If Eustace got us to the next 2 playoff finals and we lost, would you be looking to sack him? 

Of course he should stay on, no other manager in the history of English football has got us to 1 Euro final, let alone 2!!

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

You missed Cricket out there,surely you think they should also have an English coach too.

Yes

17 minutes ago, MarkBRFC71 said:

So far …..

Proves the point. Everytime it's let's go foriegn everything will be better. Then when it doesn't let's appoint an Englishman to sort it out

17 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

It's not about who would definitely win one, it's about giving someone the chance. 

Gareth has had 4 chances now and has scraped his way through easier runs and been tactically outclassed every time the going has gotten tough. He clearly is unwilling to choose players on form or to change things until things start going wrong. We know he is incapable. 

Having someone else try something new and fall short doesn't exactly vindicate the current manager, who has also won sweet FA. 

Everyone thought that when Capello and Eriksson were appointed but both did worst then Southgate, Venables and Sir Bobby Robson. 

3 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Who would i want,?Pep,Klopp, Ancelotti would be my top 3 choices but we aren't getting them so i'll leave it to the FA 

And all 3 of them would tell you that we should appoint an Englishman for England job.

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If people, quite a lot of them, are doubting it, it's in doubt.

Only to those that doubt it. 

Why would those doubting it, overrule those that don't doubt it? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes

Proves the point. Everytime it's let's go foriegn everything will be better. Then when it doesn't let's appoint an Englishman to sort it out

Everyone thought that when Capello and Eriksson were appointed but both did worst then Southgate, Venables and Sir Bobby Robson. 

And all 3 of them would tell you that we should appoint an Englishman for England job.

Have you asked all 3 their opinion?

Spain playing fantastically well, and a worthy winner of the Euros. All wins!

I believe most of Spain's success is down to Spain's tactical DNA. They are playing like they have been doing for a long time on club level, but with more emphasis on forward offensive passes and elite wingers. A coherent squad, high ball winning intensity, high passing accuracy and possession rate yet direct in attack! Flawless.

Edited by sverrehh
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If Southgate wants to stay on then I would kept him on until after the World Cup 2026 in USA, Mexico and Canada 

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Kane has had a great career but tonight he was beyond bad. That was a Gallagheresque performance. Totally ineffectual. He should have been off at half time.

Kane needs players who can run off him and in behind like Son did or Rashford. Maybe we should have played Kane as a ten with Watkins or Toney as the 9

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You're going to get through a lorra lorra managers if winning is the one and only criteria. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, M_B said:

You're going to get through a lorra lorra managers if winning is the one and only criteria. 

Most international teams do, though, especially the bigger nations. I'm not sure too many of the bigger nations have kept managers for 8+ years who haven't won anything? And none of them have the trophy drought we do, so 🤷‍♂️ as squads change and transition in international football, perhaps so should managers and coaches to keep things fresh and ensure it's the best fit for that group of players at the time. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

In nearly 100 years of tournament football we’ve got to 3 major tournaments finals. Gareth has got us to 2 of those. 

These are the facts. 

• Like 1

Why can’t people just accept that our players aren’t as good as we think? The 1966 team had 3 world class players in it, Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton. No England team since has had a world class player in it, plenty of very good ones, but none of the calibre of those three. They are why we won the WC, and the absence of players like them is why we haven’t won anything since.

2-1 flattered us tonight on another night of crushing disappointment, we were comfortably second best sadly. We got back into the game with a great goal before sitting back in and their winner seemed inevitable. Especially with Rodri off at half time, we should have been better at gaining a foothold.

International tournaments are a different beast to a league campaign and the best team wont always win it, although this time the best team (not on paper) has won it. They rely on hugely on favourable draws and luck in knockout games that come down to fine margins. Southgate has a record that he can take a lot of pride from even though he has had very good fortunte both in terms of favourable draws and dodgy refereeing decisions (both semi finals went our way massively helped by dodgy penalties) that other England managers would have loved to be fortunate enough to see themselves.

Reflecting back on the tournament, being runner up is certainly something to be proud of but equally we again came up short as soon as we met an elite team. Big names like Foden and Bellingham played out of position and performed nothing like club levels, serial loser Kane was clearly not fit and Rice showed that on the ball he has a way to go to be an elite central midfielder. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

2-1 flattered us tonight on another night of crushing disappointment, we were comfortably second best sadly. We got back into the game with a great goal before sitting back in and their winner seemed inevitable. Especially with Rodri off at half time, we should have been better at gaining a foothold.

International tournaments are a different beast to a league campaign and the best team wont always win it, although this time the best team (not on paper) has won it. They rely on hugely on favourable draws and luck in knockout games that come down to fine margins. Southgate has a record that he can take a lot of pride from even though he has had very good fortunte both in terms of favourable draws and dodgy refereeing decisions (both semi finals went our way massively helped by dodgy penalties) that other England managers would have loved to be fortunate enough to see themselves.

Reflecting back on the tournament, being runner up is certainly something to be proud of but equally we again came up short as soon as we met an elite team. Big names like Foden and Bellingham played out of position and performed nothing like club levels, serial loser Kane was clearly not fit and Rice showed that on the ball he has a way to go to be an elite central midfielder. 

Foden was played in his favoured No10 position and was shite, as he normally is when playing for England. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Most international teams do, though, especially the bigger nations. I'm not sure too many of the bigger nations have kept managers for 8+ years who haven't won anything? And none of them have the trophy drought we do, so 🤷‍♂️ as squads change and transition in international football, perhaps so should managers and coaches to keep things fresh and ensure it's the best fit for that group of players at the time. 

It's a fair point, does it work is the question I suppose. 

We have a tournament every 2 years, my point was that if reaching finals isn't enough, then we'd have a manager biannually unless we actually win one. 

If and when Southgate leaves, he leaves an incredibly high bar. 

1 minute ago, Forever Blue said:

Foden was played in his favoured No10 position and was shite, as he normally is when playing for England. 

Both he and Bellingham had spells in the tournament from the left hand side.

If Foden is not perfoming anywhere near the levels for his country that he manages for his club, a lot of responsibility lies on the manager. Either he plays in a way that allows him to replicate that form or he stops trying to cram too many big names in and drops him to give us better balance.