BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

Probably the right decision for him personally to step down, and possibly the right decision for the national team. We’ll see who we get in to replace him but he’s set the bar very high. 

Southgate did an impossible job really well. 

I’d prefer an Englishman, it’s a national team after all, and personally I think it matters. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah statistically that we still haven't had an English manager win the premier league after 32 years is insane. I am actually struggling to think how many English managers have qualified for the Champions League? 

THis list from 2022 is pretty amazing. Over 30 years of CL only eight English managers have been in charge of a CL game...

https://www.90min.com/posts/every-englishman-manage-the-champions-league

I mean there is something really f***ed up about that? How has that happened? Probably the biggest factor is that we don't export managers to other countries, which then I guess links back to English people not being at learning languages. And that you get paid more for lower down clubs in England so no need to move for money. And that English clubs have the resources to bring in the best global talent. But still it's an absolutely mad stat....

There is also a poor mentality amongst English football.

Southgate exemplified this as he always played to not lose rather than to win.

Foreign coaching is about winning games.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

There is also a poor mentality amongst English football.

Southgate exemplified this as he always played to not lose rather than to win.

Foreign coaching is about winning games.

There’s a long article in my paper today about what the writer sees as a crunch point in the game. We’d just got back into the match at 1-1 and we had a throw in well inside the Spain half. Walker was taking it and I must admit I was thinking “ let’s see if we can repeat the throw in that led to that goal earlier in the comp”.

What happens was he thinks about it for ages and then throws it back to Stones, who’s put under pressure, he puts it back to Pickford. Pickford launched it down field and we didn’t see the ball again for ages after that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

An honourable man doing the right thing in football - who would have thought it. Well done Gareth.

I love to see the likes of Lineker, Ferdinand, Neville and the host of other comfort zoned snipers put their head above the parapet. Do I expect any of them to? Not a snowball in hell's chance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

An honourable man doing the right thing in football - who would have thought it. Well done Gareth.

I love to see the likes of Lineker, Ferdinand, Neville and the host of other comfort zoned snipers put their head above the parapet. Do I expect any of them to? Not a snowball in hell's chance.

I saw Lineker on a podcast yesterday claiming their criticism (him and his pundit chums) was used to created a wedge between the team and the media, or some shite like that. He said they were used. Unbelievable weasel words from a real slimeball. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a long article in my paper today about what the writer sees as a crunch point in the game. We’d just got back into the match at 1-1 and we had a thrown in well inside the Spain half. Walker was taking it and I must admit I was thinking “ let’s see if we can repeat the throw in that led to that goal earlier in the comp”.

What happens is he thinks for ages and then throws it back to Stones, who’s put under pressure, he puts it back to Pickford. Pickford launched it down field and we didn’t see the ball again for ages after that.

https://x.com/RecoSpurs/status/1812609441507807434

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

Klopp is the stand out candidate for me, he hasn't been mentioned on the 5 man shortlist but if he's willing to do it they should throw everything into getting him. Proven track record of winning trophies, going up against the best coach in modern football for the last 8 years, plays attacking football and knows the English game as well as anyone. He's also pretty much universally liked by most English football fans.

• Like 9
  • Downvote 1

• Backroom

The right decision for all involved. Gareth had a good run but ultimately we're still at the 'glorious failure' stage, albeit that's a step up from where he found us, which was just straight up failure. He's left a solid platform to build from which is a positive.

Impossible to trust the FA when it comes to appointing an England manager, but hopefully the team will be more fun to watch next tournament. I'm not a national team fanatic so for me it's more about having fun and enjoying watching England than it is wanting us to win through any means necessary. Watching us in this Euros was painful until the semis, and I'd rather not have to deal with that again in two years time.

With that said I'm not advocating for all-out attack, tactically naive football. Just a system with a bit more balance and bravery.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a long article in my paper today about what the writer sees as a crunch point in the game. We’d just got back into the match at 1-1 and we had a throw in well inside the Spain half. Walker was taking it and I must admit I was thinking “ let’s see if we can repeat the throw in that led to that goal earlier in the comp”.

What happens was he thinks about it for ages and then throws it back to Stones, who’s put under pressure, he puts it back to Pickford. Pickford launched it down field and we didn’t see the ball again for ages after that.

We were on top when we scored and a more progressive manager would've looked to push home this advantage - but under GS we reverted to sitting back and desperately clinging on.  Also not long after that and prior to Spain's winner 2 subs were warming up - Gallagher and Trippier.  Says it all really.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

I saw Lineker on a podcast yesterday claiming their criticism (him and his pundit chums) was used to created a wedge between the team and the media, or some shite like that. He said they were used. Unbelievable weasel words from a real slimeball. 

I find the vast majority of these pundits the same. Out of the ones I saw at this tournament Fabregas, Mata and Mendieta were the best by far in my opinion. Lineker is on a reported £1.35m just from the BBC. That is scandalous in itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I find the vast majority of these pundits the same. Out of the ones I saw at this tournament Fabregas, Mata and Mendieta were the best by far in my opinion. Lineker is on a reported £1.35m just from the BBC. That is scandalous in itself.

Andros Townsend surprised me on comms too - thought he was really good, far more knowledgeable than the usual dross we get (Keown, Dixon etc.) 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Right decision at the right time. He did a lot right with getting people back on side with the national team and giving us some pride back, but ultimately, he was brought in to win trophies and he hasn’t managed to.

Not saying the latter means he’s a failure, but football is about the trophies at the end of it and the wait goes on for us.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gav said:

All that said, we need to stick to a domestic manager for me, someone who understands the country, the fans and our history. 

Or Jurgen Klopp…who possibly understands all of those factors…heavy metal England…

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Or Jurgen Klopp…who possibly understands all of those factors…heavy metal England…

The guy commands £15-£20m a year, has just left Liverpool in some part due to the pressure, can’t see that happening Herbie.

Just now, Gav said:

The guy commands £15-£20m a year, has just left Liverpool in some part due to the pressure, can’t see that happening Herbie.

Neither can I TBH but his personality & style is exactly what this team needs & nobody English currently comes close…

• Like 3

I really hope we dont just give the job to someone like Carsley, an FA moulded non controversial type or someone like Potter.

Klopp etc are the ideal but even a Tuchel would be a good appointment. The English management pool is dry sadly.

• Like 2

• Herbie6590 changed the title to The Euros 2024 & the post-tournament turmoil…
41 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Give over. We stunk the place out all tournament and according to Southgate it was the fans and pundits fault. The criticism from Shearer and Lineker was constructive and well deserved.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Give over. We stunk the place out all tournament and according to Southgate it was the fans and pundits fault. The criticism from Shearer and Lineker was constructive and well deserved.

But got to the final which 22 of the other teams would have been delighted to do. I think you must be chuffed to bits they didn't win it.

When did he blame the fans and pundits?

• Like 3

It is going to be a difficult job because expectations are going to be to win the next tournaments off the back of 4 tournaments whereby our draws on the whole have been very favourable.

We have made the quarter final in the last 4 tournaments, once we faced France and lost, in the other 3 we got Ukraine, Switzerland and Sweden which you would take any day at that stage. Even Croatia, Denmark and Holland as semi final opposition is avoiding the big hitters. That won't be indefinite and we have come up short against the elite.