BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

I can never get that tepid effort last time we were in the final and losing 1 nil so no surprise we went out with a whimper again rather than a bang.

A really odd situation with Southgate he somehow has the knack to stay in tournaments longer than any other managers but he'll never win one whilst he has breath in his body.

Also has more depth of talent across the squad than any England manager in my lifetime and always relying on someone pulling something out the bag rather than clear tactics to hurt the opposition.

Coached it safe every time but has to go with his head held high he has restored us to elite level albeit as eternal bridesmade's.

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I can never get that tepid effort last time we were in the final and losing 1 nil so no surprise we went out with a whimper again rather than a bang.

Are you sure you're remembering that right? Last time we were in the final we went 1 nil up after 2 minutes, not down, and drew 1-1 by the end.

• Like 1

So long Gareth, you've left a high bar for the next one. 

Without doubt it should be Lineker, he played for and captained his country, and apparently knows everything. Laughing boy can be his assistant, Gary Neville can brew up and Agbonlahore can help out with the press relations,despite being thick as mince.

Can't go wrong there. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Are you sure you're remembering that right? Last time we were in the final we went 1 nil up after 2 minutes, not down, and drew 1-1 by the end.

It was too tepid whatever.

Thanks Gareth for everything you have done as England manager and the fact you have led us to our most successful era since 1966 and the fact you have changed the mentality within the squad and show great man management skills with the players. Bellingham and Pickford comments says everything for me. 

I don't think Howe will take it at this stage of his career, same as Gary O'Neil. Few years too early. My shortlist would be Lee Carsley, Graham Potter and Eddie Howe. 

Sam Allardyce has said it should be Englishman as the next England manager and he is damn right

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

From Mark Bullingham.

In the 25 tournaments post 1966 before Gareth took charge, we had won seven knockout games. In his four tournaments we have won nine. So, in his eight years, he has won more games that really matter than in the previous 50 years.

excellent statement

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

It also seems quite likely, as Howe’s supporters on the Newcastle board have just left.

Wrong. Their CEO Darren Eagles is very close to Howe and Howe is close to the owners of the club. Yes 2 of Howe's supporters have just sold their shares in the club and left the board.  

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong. Their CEO Darren Eagles is very close to Howe and Howe is close to the owners of the club. Yes 2 of Howe's supporters have just sold their shares in the club and left the board.  

So how was it wrong?

Some really warm words for Southgate tonight from across the country, pundits, players, managers, politicians, royalty and fans, all paying tribute to the man and the job he’s done in restoring pride back into the national side. 

I wish him nothing but the best of luck for the future. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Next manager:

I think the absolute best candidate would be a Klopp/Pep/Tuchel type.

But knowing we’re keen on English managers for the England team, then the best two candidates seem to be Howe and Potter.

I’d take Howe because I think his man-management  and media style is very similar to Gareth’s, so would be a smooth transition. But his tactical style is much more flexible than Gareth’s was and would likely be built around what is available rather than fitting players in.

It also seems quite likely, as Howe’s supporters on the Newcastle board have just left.

More flexible in the sense that he actually has tactics.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What have either Lee Carsley or Graham Potter done to warrant the England job?

Their only credential (ignoring Carsley's numerous Ireland caps) is being English.

Carsley done a good job similar to what Gareth Southgate done before. What had Spain manager done before he managed Spain national manager, been under 21 manager for them

Given you didn't answer my last question about which Foriegn managers would be on your shortlist for England manager. 

I answered on who my 3 man English shortlist would be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect Howe, Potter, Carsley, O'Neil and Lampard all to be interview 

Out of that grizzly bunch I think O Neill might be the least worst.

I'd be asking the question of Klopp, Guardiola, Ancellotti, Poccetino and Ange Postecoglou personally.

Guardiola and Ancellotti's contracts expire in 12 months so if either of them were interested, it might be worth putting in Carsley in the interim.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks Gareth for everything you have done as England manager and the fact you have led us to our most successful era since 1966 and the fact you have changed the mentality within the squad and show great man management skills with the players. Bellingham and Pickford comments says everything for me. 

I don't think Howe will take it at this stage of his career, same as Gary O'Neil. Few years too early. My shortlist would be Lee Carsley, Graham Potter and Eddie Howe. 

Sam Allardyce has said it should be Englishman as the next England manager and he is damn right

excellent statement

image.png.1a19ffaf409394efc8fbb4e1a56f9ddc.png

Edited by ABBEY
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Semi finals absolute minimum.

In a way, given we didn't win it anyway, maybe it would have been better if we'd gone out against Slovakia as we deserved because that would have been a more accurate reflection of our performance during the tournament.

By limping unconvincingly to the Final it seems to have fooled everyone into believing all is well - 2 successive Euro Finals yada yada.

Question: Do you think We've progressed since losing the 2021(?) Euro Final to Italy?

Whilst I didn't hear what he said in full, Harry Redknapp apparently nailed it by commenting we didn't play with any pace.

Well at least your expectation was exceeded.

I think there has been an improvement since the last Euro's. It is probably one of the most talented squads in the world and lost to arguably the most talented. Mistakes were made but ultimately second place was achieved. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Carsley done a good job similar to what Gareth Southgate done before. What had Spain manager done before he managed Spain national manager, been under 21 manager for them

Given you didn't answer my last question about which Foriegn managers would be on your shortlist for England manager. 

I answered on who my 3 man English shortlist would be. 

Assuming the likes of Klopp are unobtainable as expected, Tuchel would be one, maybe Pochettino.

Lampard will get an interview? How is that deserved?

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lampard will get an interview? How is that deserved?

It absolutely isn't. Has no record of success as a manager at all.

Hoping Rooney isn't interested either!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

A really odd situation with Southgate he somehow has the knack to stay in tournaments longer than any other managers but he'll never win one whilst he has breath in his body.

Also has more depth of talent across the squad than any England manager in my lifetime and always relying on someone pulling something out the bag rather than clear tactics to hurt the opposition.

Coached it safe every time but has to go with his head held high he has restored us to elite level albeit as eternal bridesmade's.

Depth of talent? Maybe in attacking areas, but nowhere else on the pitch.  There’s only a couple of players from this team that would get on the ‘golden generation’ team. 

The golden generation so called was very overrated, yes we seriously lacked a Beckham or Gerrard in the last few years mainly because no one was capable of grabbing a game by the neck under nice boy Gareth.

But across the squad there was more depth - not judging it by 'big names' - than anyone else has had but unfortunately he didn't choose to use it enough. Like many before him he ended up going down the square pegs in round holes route in order to appease.

End of the day though Italy were the best 'team' at the last Euros and Spain were this time.

• Like 1

It’s been reported today that the FA want Pep and are happy to wait a year.

If Southgate didn’t get the level of vitriol he would be the perfect man to stay for 12 months to sort the transition. Such a shame it had to come to this

English fans are some of the worst in Europe 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What have either Lee Carsley or Graham Potter done to warrant the England job?

Their only credential (ignoring Carsley's numerous Ireland caps) is being English.

Lee Carsley has been a successful youth coach and won the U21 Euros

He has had a similar trajectory to de la Fuente

For me, he needs longer in the U21s but he’s a potential future England manager for sure

• Like 3