BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Depth of talent? Maybe in attacking areas, but nowhere else on the pitch.  There’s only a couple of players from this team that would get on the ‘golden generation’ team. 

Our defence is pretty strong. We have a plethora of young talented defenders coming through.  Fullback options aren't too bad. Midfield is getting stronger too. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It’s been reported today that the FA want Pep and are happy to wait a year.

If Southgate didn’t get the level of vitriol he would be the perfect man to stay for 12 months to sort the transition. Such a shame it had to come to this

English fans are some of the worst in Europe 

Rather than transition, I’d rather the FA paid the compo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

It absolutely isn't. Has no record of success as a manager at all.

Hoping Rooney isn't interested either!

Southgate has shown you don't need previous managerial success to be a success at international level, but it would be a disaster if someone like Lampard or Rooney got the job. Both treated England duty as players with contempt at times, not the sort of people you want around the modern day England setup for me.  

One thing that was clear with Southgate, he'd created a bond with those players and they'd run through brick walls for him, we need someone who can do that again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ABBEY said:

image.png.1a19ffaf409394efc8fbb4e1a56f9ddc.png

Born in Birmingham as I have said twice on this thread. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Assuming the likes of Klopp are unobtainable as expected, Tuchel would be one, maybe Pochettino.

Lampard will get an interview? How is that deserved?

OK well sort of an answer on your 3 man shortlist at least

Lampard suits the FA and he has been doing some part time work with FA in coaching I believe. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Lampard got the job. International football doesn't suited. Look at Joachim Low and Luis de la Fuente who weren't great club managers but both won international tournaments for their national countries 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Born in Birmingham as I have said twice on this thread. 

OK well sort of an answer on your 3 man shortlist at least

Lampard suits the FA and he has been doing some part time work with FA in coaching I believe. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Lampard got the job. International football doesn't suited. Look at Joachim Low and Luis de la Fuente who weren't great club managers but both won international tournaments for their national countries 

Would you welcome Lampard?

He is a shocking manager. Would be an interesting policy, looking for Englishmen who have failed at club level.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Would you welcome Lampard?

He is a shocking manager. Would be an interesting policy, looking for Englishmen who have failed at club level.

Low and Luis de la Fuente failed at Club level but both led their countries to winning international football. We appointed Capello who was highly successfully at club level and was bloody awful as England manager. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Low and Luis de la Fuente failed at Club level but both led their countries to winning international football. We appointed Capello who was highly successfully at club level and was bloody awful as England manager. 

But it doesnt mean that we should specifically target club failures. Lampard is a shocking manager. He shouldnt be under consideration.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Out of that grizzly bunch I think O Neill might be the least worst.

I'd be asking the question of Klopp, Guardiola, Ancellotti, Poccetino and Ange Postecoglou personally.

Guardiola and Ancellotti's contracts expire in 12 months so if either of them were interested, it might be worth putting in Carsley in the interim.

Ange would be my pick out of all of them.

Plays attacking football, good man-manager and has experience of coaching an international team.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

But it doesnt mean that we should specifically target club failures. Lampard is a shocking manager. He shouldnt be under consideration.

The vast majority of managers are 'club failures' its the nature of the job.

I noticed you mentioned Mauricio Pochettino earlier, what has he done in club management? I can't recall him winning anything worth writing home about? He seems to spend big and win very little, like many of todays cheque book managers. 

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I noticed you mentioned Mauricio Pochettino earlier, what has he done in club management? I can't recall him winning anything worth writing home about? 

If I may butt in he's done considerably more than Southgate whose only achievement at Club level is to get Middlesbrough relegated from the Prem.

Poccetino arguably also vastly overachieved at Spurs for a period reaching a Champions League final despite not being financially backed by Levy.

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

The vast majority of managers are 'club failures' its the nature of the job.

I noticed you mentioned Mauricio Pochettino earlier, what has he done in club management? I can't recall him winning anything worth writing home about? He seems to spend big and win very little, like many of todays cheque book managers. 

He wouldnt be my first choice, but he has a far better record than the likes of Potter, Lampard and Carsley.

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If I may butt in he's done considerably more than Southgate whose only achievement at Club level is to get Middlesbrough relegated from the Prem.

Poccetino arguably also vastly overachieved at Spurs for a period reaching a Champions League final despite not being financially backed by Levy.

That wasn't really the point being made, but if we are going for this lazy "Best of the best" I don't see where Mauricio Pochettino fits into that list. 

As for him not being backed by Levy, I recall him spending £100m on Ndombele and Lo Celso alone, not sure what else he spent, but we aren't talking small change and he won nothing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I expect Howe, Potter, Carsley, O'Neil and Lampard all to be interview 

Howe - I'd be OK with, but will the FA want to spend 5m to prise him away from Newcastle?

Potter - Harry or Brian would probably do a better job - no thanks.

Carsley - we've been down the promoting U21 manager route and still haven't won anything so no thanks.  Would leave him in charge as interim if needed though.

O'Neil - way too early.

Lampard - fuck no.  Same for Gerrard or Rooney.

Fact remains, by FAR the best candidates in terms of experience and achievement are foreign (Klopp, Poch, Tuchel, Ange, Pep).  If the Pep thing is true and we have to wait a year, let's do it.  Same with Klopp - if he's willing to entertain the idea but in a few months - wait.  Put Carsley in charge until they're ready.  Don't appoint a second rate option just because they're 1. English, and 2. available now.

• Like 7

• Moderation Lead

Depends what we want to do.

If we actually want to win trophies, then we’ll hire a manager with a proven track record of doing so.

If we just want to hope we eventually strike lucky and hire someone with no track record, but with no actual desire to win things and just keep bumbling along, then we’ll hire someone from within and the saga continues. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Ange would be my pick out of all of them.

Plays attacking football, good man-manager and has experience of coaching an international team.

I don't mind a foreign manager at all but an Australian in charge of the England football team is a red line for me. You'd be able to hear the laughing all the way from Iron Knob

Interesting comments in the paper today from a French journalist who said when Les Blues play badly the press and fans tend to blame the players whereas here the blame is nearly always targeted at the manager.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't mind a foreign manager at all but an Australian in charge of the England football team is a red line for me. You'd be able to hear the laughing all the way from Iron Knob

why? nowt to do with him be an aussie 

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

If we actually want to win trophies, then we’ll hire a manager with a proven track record of doing so.

If we just want to hope we eventually strike lucky and hire someone with no track record, but with no actual desire to win things and just keep bumbling along, then we’ll hire someone from within and the saga continues. 

Fabio Capello had a better record than most of the managers being touted around today, he was a disaster. But equally, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables were seen as the 2 of the best managers in the world at the time, both also failed.

I don't envy the FA here, its a hiding to nothing this appointment.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I would have expected more opposition to Klopp tbh, given the Aussies have never really been a football rival as such.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You don't seem to be giving any actual reason to hire Lampard though. Unless you're saying that because he has failed at club level he will make a good international manager??

• Like 2

eddie howe now leads the betting market for the england job,would be no surprise if he landed the job and southgate got the newcastle position

howe perfect for the fa,quiet and conservative,will never cause any controversy

southgate currently loved by nearly everyone,he`ll walk into a big job

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Fabio Capello had a better record than most of the managers being touted around today, he was a disaster. But equally, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables were seen as the 2 of the best managers in the world at the time, both also failed.

I don't envy the FA here, it’s a hiding to nothing this appointment.

I was surprised that his win percentage was higher than Southgate’s.

I guess one thing this shows is the importance of which matches you win over how many you win.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Scrub trophies for top 6 and you could be talking about Rovers under Venkys.