BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Accrington Stanley (a) - Friendly 6/7/24

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Decent run out today. 

The ref made a shocking decision not to allow Tyjon on. Clueless..

Like the look off Duru and Gent. O'Riordan did well. 

From your comment, I am assuming you were there?

What did Saadi look like? beyond being "neat and tidy"

Still quite confused as to why he was offered a new deal, and would have thought Whitehall would be ahead of him

How did Vale look?

Was it 4-2-3-1 in the 2nd half too?  with either Buckley or Garrett in the number 10?  Or more a 4-3-3?

Edited by KentExile

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Accrington Stanley (a) - Friendly 6/7/24
Posted (edited)

Interesting how we lined up today. 4-4-2 and a 4-1-4-1. It would certainly support Eustace’s comments that he likes out and out wingers… let’s hope we sign some.

First half we saw a lot of the ball in wide areas. JRC was drifting in and Dolan cutting in, both fullbacks were getting up and supporting. Brittain saw a lot more of the ball, but Pickering was the more useful of the two with it.

Gallagher won a couple of flick ons to nobody in particular. Szmodic made some really good runs in behind but the ball was either missed or too late. Sammy going off injured is a major concern.

Second half really demonstrated our frightening lack of depth. I can only think Saadi was thrown in at the last minute as the planned strike partner for Vale was unavailable. Gent was lively and Duru impressive. Buckley streets ahead of the vast majority of players in the pitch. Despite their involvement in the goal I thought Markanday’s decision making remained very poor and Vale looked miles off it.

Ref robbed us of a bit of excitement in seeing Tyjon. Ridiculous considering he let their keeper (who made Wahlstedt look as composed as prime Friedel) stay on after a ridiculous challenge near the half way line!

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Any update on Leonard? Bit concerning that he wasn’t among the subs or is it known that he will miss the start of the season?

Probably just a case off building him up after him missing half of last season

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KentExile said:

From your comment, I am assuming you were there?

What did Saadi look like? beyond being "neat and tidy"

Still quite confused as to why he was offered a new deal, and would have thought Whitehall would be ahead of him

How did Vale look?

Was it 4-2-3-1 in the 2nd half too?  with either Buckley or Garrett in the number 10?  Or more a 4-3-3?

Yes I was. 

Saadi played as defensive midfielder. 

Vale look OK. Might be suited to playing as 2 man striker force with more physical striker next to him or pacey striker 

First half formation was like 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 

Second half formation like 4-1-4-1 

Brittain in the first half and Duru in the second half got more forward from right back than Pickering and Batty did from left back

Also Keith Downing pre match was working with the back 4 being together not just the centre backs

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Interesting how we lined up today. 4-4-2 and a 4-1-4-1. It would certainly support Eustace’s comments that he likes out and out wingers… let’s hope we sign some.

First half we saw a lot of the ball in wide areas. JRC was drifting in and Dolan cutting in, both fullbacks were getting up and supporting. Brittain saw a lot more of the ball, but Pickering was the more useful of the two with it.

Gallagher won a couple of flick ons to nobody in particular. Szmodic made some really good runs in behind but the ball was either missed or too late. Sammy going off injured is a major concern.

Second half really demonstrated our frightening lack of depth. I can only think Saadi was thrown in at the last minute as the planned strike partner for Vale was unavailable. Gent was lively and Duru impressive. Buckley streets ahead of the vast majority of players in the pitch. Despite their involvement in the goal I thought Markanday’s decision making remained very poor and Vale looked miles off it.

Ref robbed us of a bit of excitement in seeing Tyjon. Ridiculous considering he let their keeper (who made Wahlstedt look as composed as prime Friedel) stay on after a ridiculous challenge near the half way line!

Is there any life in Batty?

That kit is nice, in fairness.

Planned on going to this, but my lad had an away game and the times didn't work.

It's only ever a fitness exercise at this stage of pre season, but a win's a win.

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Is there any life in Batty?

Jury is still out. Difficult to judge accurately in all honesty but didn’t stand out either way. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The new kit looks really good. I bought one of the shirts for the first time in ages.

I totally agree there. Its a great kit. Good to hear you bought one

Edited by chaddyrovers

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I totally agree there. Its a great kit. Good to hear you bought one

Got to agree, it looks amazing on. Definitely 95 vibes. That shade of blue is it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I was. 

Saadi played as defensive midfielder. 

Vale look OK. Might be suited to playing as 2 man striker force with more physical striker next to him or pacey striker 

First half formation was like 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 

Second half formation like 4-1-4-1 

Brittain in the first half and Duru in the second half got more forward from right back than Pickering and Batty did from left back

Also Keith Downing pre match was working with the back 4 being together not just the centre backs

Vale wont be suited to playing Championship football. End of.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The new kit looks really good. I bought one of the shirts for the first time in ages.

The best thing about yesterday TBH…you could half close your eyes & be transported back to 1992…😆

• Like 1

For a friendly and a first one at that it was excellent, already an improvement in football, back to basics none of this PL wanna be nonsense Mowbray and jdt had us playing, Gallagher even looked like a striker actually making runs down the middle rather than going wide with nobody to aim for central. 

deru was excellent as most of us know he’s an upcoming right back so also provides good cover too. Gamble looked solid even gent looked class… for the first time in how long we’ve a winger who wants to beat his man and get it in there, as pointed out eustuce loves out and out wingers and has made wingers a priority in the recruitment this summer, we’ve not had that since Conway left and Mowbray went with that stupid wide forward system thinking he’s pep playing brereton and Gallagher out wide so it’s good to know we are getting back to effective basics being the championship team we are rather than trying to be fancy when we simply don’t have the resources to be. 

Ref was a total wanker did not letting the kid back in in a pre season game when he also didn’t stick to the rules of not making bookings for nasty tackles by Stanley platters inc keeper when vale was clear. 

all in all plenty more talented youngsters coming through, I always say it but our academy is our saving grace, we’ve got players in abundance coming through more regularly looking like they are up to this level meaning we don’t have to be as lucky or good in the market in terms of back up and squad filling like others with crappy academies, saves us a lot of money in the process and makes us money too. 

also was told by somebody who in well informed from the club that gregg broughton wanted to make leo our highest paid player on 20k a week until he was told to lower it to 8k or put him back on the plane so let’s be thankful he’s gone…. Also he was obsessed with Maguire yet eustuce sent a scout to watch him and was unimpressed… said he’s a big lad that should play like one instead tries to play like szmodics so we may have dodged a sniper bullet there and shows how incompetent broughton was 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheRovers1994 said:

also was told by somebody who in well informed from the club that gregg broughton wanted to make leo our highest paid player on 20k a week until he was told to lower it to 8k or put him back on the plane so let’s be thankful he’s gone…. Also he was obsessed with Maguire yet eustuce sent a scout to watch him and was unimpressed… said he’s a big lad that should play like one instead tries to play like szmodics so we may have dodged a sniper bullet there and shows how incompetent broughton was 

To be fair I imagine anyone well informed or well connected to the club will be passing any blame on Gregg for things as it takes the heat of what's really going on.

Not to say I was a fan of GB at all, but everything being his and JDT's fault is certainly the narrative there at the min.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Interesting. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the egg throughout his tenure. I will say he did talk a very good game but rarely delivered. He was promoted well beyond his abilities and experience. Might have been the Punetics, swag or the egg to blame but the proof was in the pudding.

He was also economical with the truth. He claimed Szmodics wasn’t on rovers radar before he arrived. All I can say to that is my mate loves Mowbray and during his tenure we were linked with Szmodics whilst still at Peterborough and I said he must be shit if moggadon wants him. A year later he signed and of course on every Szmodics goal I get a text he must be shit if Mowbray likes him 😂. More texts the better frankly. But most definitely on our radar before the egg landed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Vale wont be suited to playing Championship football. End of.

I wouldn't write him off. People wrote Szmodics off when we signed him cos we had Dack here

I also thought it was interesting How JRC played from the right but he drifted inside alot similar to what David Bentley did here. You can see how Eustace wants to play with is abit more like when Hughes was here as Manager. Obviously we need plan B and plan C

1 hour ago, TheRovers1994 said:

also was told by somebody who in well informed from the club that gregg broughton wanted to make leo our highest paid player on 20k a week until he was told to lower it to 8k or put him back on the plane so let’s be thankful he’s gone…. Also he was obsessed with Maguire yet eustuce sent a scout to watch him and was unimpressed… said he’s a big lad that should play like one instead tries to play like szmodics so we may have dodged a sniper bullet there and shows how incompetent Broughton was 

thankyou for sharing with everyone

How is that remotely comparable to the Sammie situation, he was a totally different player to Dack.

The lad has had plenty of opportunity, he just ain’t up to this level and will turn 24 during the season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The lad has had plenty of opportunity, he just ain’t up to this level and will turn 24 during the season.

cos people said Szmodics wasn't up to playing at this level and we have Dack so what did we need to sig Szmodics

I think Vale will have a decent career(I'm not saying he should be part of the squad here) but he needs to play regular and start scoring goals. He should have scored yesterday and I wouldn't have pass to Markanday for the second goal but shot. 

Edited by chaddyrovers