BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Oxford Utd (h) - 24/08/2024

Probably the worst time to play Oxford really, they'll be relatively fresh and still a bit of an unknown. They've had a decent start partly due to that, but I expect they'll taill off and ultimately go down.

Would be nice to have a convincing win, this is our first rehearsal, with the full dress rehearsal coming midweek before THE one that really counts.

They've scored 2 in each of their games so far including the cup so its very hard to imagine a clean sheet. I think we'll see plenty of goals, 3-2 Rovers. Could also do with avoiding any injuries here and hope Carter is just a knock if he's injured. 

If you're doing a coupon then we're a shoe in for BTTS this season.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Bang on with the team I think will start. Maybe Tyjon for Vale on the bench, if that loan move gets finalised.

I reckon 2-0 is fair, but I’m going 3-1.

I think ohashi has earned a start but wouldn’t know who to drop so yeah I’d probably go with that to

20 minutes ago, Madon said:

I've not been able to get a babysitter for this one but over my dead body am I missing Ohashi scoring at Ewood again. 

He's coming with me for his first ever game, wish me luck!

Start em young. Rovers forever. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Pears

Rankin Costello Batth Hyam Pickering

Travis Tronstad

Weimann Dolan Hedges

Gueye

I am not sure that in the current tactical set up, that would give enough width, JRC has a tendency to drift inside (to very good effect) rather than stay wide (as does Weimann), which is why I think Brittain will be preferred at right back.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2024 at 06:58, Forever Blue said:

Was it Oxford that won the league when we got promoted in 79/80? 

They always remind me of Robert Maxwell, or was it his son that owned them?

Went there in our promotion season under Dalglish. Think Mike Newell scored and we won. Remember walking thru an estate near the Manor Ground after the game and getting abused off the locals! Seemed a rough old town away from the dreaming spires. 

They look a good team, unlucky at the weekend to lose at Coventry. Beat Norwich comfortably first game of the season. 

This might be trickier than people think. 

Rovers 1 Oxford 1

No that was Grimsby. Jim Smith got them promoted in 84 and again in 85 to the First Division. They had Aldridge and Billy Hamilton up top

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pears

Brittain Hyam Batth Pickering

Travis Tronstad

JRC            Dolan         Hedges

Gueye

Subs:- Hilton, McFadzean, Duru, Buckley, Weimann, Sigurdsson, Ohashi, Vale, Batty 

My score prediction is 2 nil Rovers with Gueye scoring both goals

The main issue I can see at the moment is JRC wide right isnt working.... need to switch it up. Problem is all our other right options (Weiman, Sigurdsson, Dolan) will all come inside too. No one who really stretches the pitch

If we are sticking with 4231 I think Id start Sigurdsson wide right to see how he gets on and use JRC as a sub for the central midfielders or number 10 later in the game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brittain played in front of JRC last season and it didnt work very well.

We really look imbalanced and weak in wide areas and with no sign of any permanent solution. We need a new option on both sides.

You can dream I suppose 

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

I am not sure that in the current tactical set up, that would give enough width, JRC has a tendency to drift inside (to very good effect) rather than stay wide (as does Weimann), which is why I think Brittain will be preferred at right back.

Not sure if you’ve read it but there’s a good tactical analysis in Norwich thread about how we set up. @Exiled_Rover posted it iirc.

It shows how deliberate the JRC moving inside thing is. JDT liked to put an extra body in midfield by putting a full back in there when we attacked ( also how Pep does it and a few others). JE does by making JRC go inside and having Brittain play pretty much as a winger. I think Duru also looks perfect for that role due to his pace.

Edited by Forever Blue

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

The main issue I can see at the moment is JRC wide right isnt working.... need to switch it up. Problem is all our other right options (Weiman, Sigurdsson, Dolan) will all come inside too. No one who really stretches the pitch

If we are sticking with 4231 I think Id start Sigurdsson wide right to see how he gets on and use JRC as a sub for the central midfielders or number 10 later in the game.

He’s had a poor start to the seaso, but he isn’t fit yet and has also played with an injury niggle. He suits the way JE wants to play though, as I don’t think he wants 2 out and out wingers in the same team. 

We need a quick winger so that Hedges and JRC can fight it out for the spot on the other side of the pitch. 

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 1

I dont doubt that the intention is to get Rankin Costello to drift inside with Brittain overlapping and I dont think its a case where people dont understand the logic 

I just dont think that Rankin Costello has been particularly effective there. He has probably been our weakest outfield performer in the 2 games so far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont doubt that the intention is to get Rankin Costello to drift inside with Brittain overlapping and I dont think its a case where people dont understand the logic 

I just dont think that Rankin Costello has been particularly effective there. He has probably been our weakest outfield performer in the 2 games so far.

He’s been injured and he isn’t fit. Let’s see how he is when up to speed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Not sure if you’ve read it but there’s a good tactical analysis in Norwich thread about how we set up. @Exiled_Rover posted it iirc.

It shows how deliberate the JRC moving inside thing is. JDT liked to put an extra body in midfield by putting a full back in there when we attacked ( also how Pep does it and a few others). JE does by making JRC go inside and having Brittain play pretty much as a winger. I think Duru also looks perfect for that role due to his pace.

Yes, very aware that JRC moving inside is deliberate, however, whilst I think this can work (once JRC is fully fit) when you have someone to go outside him (Brittain), my comment was in reply to a suggestion that JRC and Weimann played together down the right, which I think would leave us too narrow as I do not think that either of them have the tools to provide the necessary pace/width on the right that Brittain (for his faults) can offer

Until JRC is fully fit, I would replace him with Weimann on the right side

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we are desperate for the same on the left . I know you rate Pickering. To be honest I like him but we need a left back with some pace to overlap. Pickering would still be a good and needed player. Horses for courses and all that yet we are never linked with anyone to play that role in god knows how many transfer windows. I find that very odd 

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Interesting stat: we’re one of only 7 teams across the 92 who haven’t suffered back-to-back league defeats in 2024.

The others are Citeh, Liverpool, Villa, Arsenal, Ipswich and Lincoln.

It is interesting, we're in decent company there, it backs up the view that we've definitely become more resilient. 

• Like 1

Des Buckingham has got a tight running ship at Oxford, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the standout of the league this season. We're also still out of sorts at the moment with players and their positions, Pears in goal alone is -15 points minimum, he should of been replaced much sooner and taken Benson and co with him. But no surprise their when our club is as dysfunctional and badly run as it is. So i'm going 1-3 to Oxford 

Who else is not looking forward to the Burnley game? One of the highlights of the season but i know its going to piss me off!!! 

27 minutes ago, pomster said:

Des Buckingham has got a tight running ship at Oxford, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the standout of the league this season. We're also still out of sorts at the moment with players and their positions, Pears in goal alone is -15 points minimum, he should of been replaced much sooner and taken Benson and co with him. But no surprise their when our club is as dysfunctional and badly run as it is. So i'm going 1-3 to Oxford 

Who else is not looking forward to the Burnley game? One of the highlights of the season but i know its going to piss me off!!! 

We have a better first eleven and bench than Oxford. We will win.

• Like 1

So three games into the season and we've already had our first injury to a Starting XI player (a Starting XI that needed improving anyway).

Looooooooong season ahead, boys and girls. This is going to be brutal. 

12 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So three games into the season and we've already had our first injury to a Starting XI player (a Starting XI that needed improving anyway).

Looooooooong season ahead, boys and girls. This is going to be brutal. 

Or it could be successful, and we will enjoy ourselves.