BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 22/2/2024 - 12pm k/o

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

as we`ve seen today,if the other team don`t fall for it then you have to change shape,can`t complain to much though,we would have lost a game like today last season,we do look a lot more organised and resolute

Our attacking game wasn't on it today and we made a number of positive attacking subs but no improve. 

It wasn’t a great game at all

Think both sides set out not to lose. Never makes a great spectacle when that’s the shared goal

Quite shocked at how bad the refereeing is at this level. Twice in a row we have had a ref that didn’t manage the occasion. It needs improving 

Have to say I am gutted for Beck. It was his place to lose and he may have lost it. Hopefully Eustace brings him straight back

Ohashi was poor but my gosh Dolan had a bad game. Everything broke down with him - we need Cantwell up to speed so we have a proper number 10

Eustace was too late with his subs today. Crying out for more productivity. Would have taken Hyam off, pushed Carter in centrally and brought JRC on at right back at the same time Cantwell and Duberry come on. We needed more creativity

anyway, win at home and draw away and then you are at the top end of the table. We go on!! 

• Like 1

Another head scratcher on the Beck red card was how the ref had the yellow out of his pocket then switched it to a red as Beck kept saying to him “he bit me on the neck, he bit me on the neck”

Are you thinking straight as a referee if you’re pulling out the wrong card or if you are indecisive on what the actual decision is. 

37 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No. It was a foul but it was never a yellow.

The ref seemed to have decided any foul that wasn't a simple coming together was a yellow card. Cantwell and Weimann were both staggered at the yellow.

• Like 1

Well that was a disappointing performance to say the least.  

Our 2 cbs were bullied all game by their Number 9. He must have won virtually every header.  

Dolan/Hedges/Baker were abysmal. All 3 should have gone at HT.

I'm at a loss as to what Baker actually offers.

Eustace got it wrong today.  Gueye has to start when available.  His subs were made too late.  Again we lack the pace to get behind teams. 

The Brighton lad didn't look like the answer to our pace issue either.  He also wanted to come inside every time. But its early days yet.

Beck had a decent game/Pears made some good saves. Carter/Trav/Tronstadt solid enough.

The rest were well off it.

On the plus side we didn't lose and I'd have taken a point beforehand.  One shot in the entire second half against 10 men is seriously shit though! 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 3

Poor performance and poor quality game (massively impacted by the officiating), but in the context of the season so far, it's a decent point in an away game.

Preston were very poor and yet we still failed to trouble their obscenely-soft GK (a strong gust of wind would have made him cry).

Ref was poor from the start and had no control over the game whatsoever; he was looking to even things up all 2nd half - though Beck didn't need to kick out when he did.
Hopefully that big fat lad for Preston gets a nice lengthy ban for the bite.

I don't think anyone has been more critical of Pears than me on here, but very good in both of the last 2 matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

My worry is that if it’s classed as violent conduct and a 3 game ban rather than 1, I do think it’s more a case of him trying to kick the ball away 

I think it will be classed as serious foul play for which it is a mandatory three match ban. If there is an appeal it will have to be cleverly worded and essentially disprove the serious foul play or violent element of the challenge.

• Backroom

Unfortunately when you loan young players, part of the deal is that they'll be learning about the men's game whilst playing for you. Regardless of talent level, there is plenty to learn, especially when it comes to behaving smartly on the field. Some players never really learn, but it's rare in the modern game that they get very far. 

Think Beck will learn from his sending off and hopefully be more in control in future. Not much to learn from the biting incident other than some players are dickheads and the officials are rarely of any help. 

• Like 1

I disagree with the Gueye starting opinion. I was disappointed with him in the second half as he offered no physicality and his touch more often than not let the ball get away from him. And how many times was he caught offside? He is a work in progress and for me in most games would come off the bench.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cesus said:

The ref seemed to have decided any foul that wasn't a simple coming together was a yellow card. Cantwell and Weimann were both staggered at the yellow.

I think permiership refs have been told to clamp down and book any foul. Didn't the recent Chelsea game ended with 15 bookings?

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I think permiership refs have been told to clamp down and book any foul. Didn't the recent Chelsea game ended with 15 bookings?

Is that just premiership refs?

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I disagree with the Gueye starting opinion. I was disappointed with him in the second half as he offered no physicality and his touch more often than not let the ball get away from him. And how many times was he caught offside? He is a work in progress and for me in most games would come off the bench.

To be fair Gueye made the runs but the others were to slow to release the ball but I agree he was disappointing. Although what I will say is that the service to him was shocking as we couldn't find out players all game.

• Like 1

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Today's ref was a premiership ref. Says a lot about the standard of referees

But if its "just" premiership refs, and we get a few, then its unfair on the Championship team. 

7 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Today's ref was a premiership ref. Says a lot about the standard of referees

Completely incompetent without VAR backing him up. It happens every time.

• Like 1