Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 22/2/2024 - 12pm k/o

4 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Great news.. going to be a wonderful occasion 

4 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Have you been to Preston?

4 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Oh of course.

It's a grim place but the occasion will be wonderful. 5000+ rovers army behind our unbeaten squad. Will be great 

Three matches at Deepdale stick in the memory with a few thankfully erased following woeful performances.

The first one was shortly after we'd been relegated from the old 1st Division (now PL) and we went there and thumped them 5-3 (might even have been 'bonfire night).  Pretty sure 'give us a goal Barrie Hole' netted at least one.  We had Blacklaw in goal and familiar players involved at that time included class personified Newton, Billy Wilson, the man for all seasons Fergie, the mercurial Rogers and the powerhouse of a winger Harrison (Clayton and Douglas were still about but time was catching up with them).  It was like a war zone on Preston's Kop that day with at least a dozen fans covered in blood passing me by in front of the West Stand Paddock.

The second one was in Howard Kendall's 2nd season when we could only manage a 0-0 draw towards the end of the season and a win there would have meant back to back promotions and that would have been a miracle given what little resource Kendall had to work with.  The sitter Marshall Burke missed at the Town End in the 2nd half still haunts me.

The third one was the memorable occasion when Souey's team secured promotion back to the PL in 2001 led by the indomitable Flitcroft - wow the offensive talent in that team, Dunn, Duff, Jansen, Berkovic etc.  It was particularly poignant given Jack's very sad passing just months earlier. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Three matches at Deepdale stick in the memory with a few thankfully erased following woeful performances.

The first one was shortly after we'd been relegated from the old 1st Division (now PL) and we went there and thumped them 5-3 (might even have been 'bonfire night).  Pretty sure 'give us a goal Barrie Hole' netted at least one.  We had Blacklaw in goal and familiar players involved at that time included class personified Newton, Billy Wilson, the man for all seasons Fergie, the mercurial Rogers and the powerhouse of a winger Harrison (Clayton and Douglas were still about but time was catching up with them).  It was like a war zone on Preston's Kop that day with at least a dozen fans covered in blood passing me by in front of the West Stand Paddock.

The second one was in Howard Kendall's 2nd season when we could only manage a 0-0 draw towards the end of the season and a win there would have meant back to back promotions and that would have been a miracle given what little resource Kendall had to work with.  The sitter Marshall Burke missed at the Town End in the 2nd half still haunts me.

The third one was the memorable occasion when Souey's team secured promotion back to the PL in 2001 led by the indomitable Flitcroft - wow the offensive talent in that team, Dunn, Duff, Jansen, Berkovic etc.  It was particularly poignant given Jack's very sad passing just months earlier. 

I was at the second game, it was lively in the park afterwards.

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

the home game was on boxing day,also a 0-0 draw,i remember it was snowing heavily and absolutely baltic!!!!,the game must have been terrible because i can`t remember a single thing about it,other than dad and i were glad to be back in the warm afterwards🙂

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I was at the 5-3 Merc. We played really well that day. Fergie ran them ragged out on the wing. They had a left back that the big clubs were looking at, they weren’t looking at him after that.

Sat Nov 13th 1967

Team

Blacklaw

Newton, Clayton, Coddington, Wilson

Rogers, Hole

Ferguson, Gilliver, Darling, Connelly

sub not used

Scorers - Hole 2, Darling, Gilliver, Ferguson ( pen )

Att 20,039.

I can still see the Gilliver goal,  a bullet header Gestede style from a Fergie cross to open the scoring after about 15 minutes.

Happy trip back home to Rochdale on several buses.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Then penalties seemed never ending, reminiscent of our westham away penalties, also tuned in to watch breretons penalty which left him looking very relieved to end a goalless drought and booted the ball a second time into the net.

Wanted preston to win this, they can relax and enjoy life for a few days, it will mean they don't have to have a "responce" as much.

Also there beloved "BFG" Patrick bauer who's been put for 12 months is off again with an injury which could see him out for Saturday.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was at the 5-3 Merc. We played really well that day. Fergie ran them ragged out on the wing. They had a left back that the big clubs were looking at, they weren’t looking at him after that.

Sat Nov 13th 1967

Team

Blacklaw

Newton, Clayton, Coddington, Wilson

Rogers, Hole

Ferguson, Gilliver, Darling, Connelly

sub not used

Scorers - Hole 2, Darling, Gilliver, Ferguson ( pen )

Att 20,039.

I can still see the Gilliver goal,  a bullet header Gestede style from a Fergie cross to open the scoring after about 15 minutes.

Happy trip back home to Rochdale on several buses.

I remember an earlier game at Ewood which Preston won. Tom Finney gave Matt Woods the hardest game he ever had.

He was a genius that day.

31 minutes ago, Dontfuckwithcats said:

Then penalties seemed never ending, reminiscent of our westham away penalties, also tuned in to watch breretons penalty which left him looking very relieved to end a goalless drought and booted the ball a second time into the net.

Wanted preston to win this, they can relax and enjoy life for a few days, it will mean they don't have to have a "responce" as much.

Also there beloved "BFG" Patrick bauer who's been put for 12 months is off again with an injury which could see him out for Saturday.

IT'S ON SUNDAY.

A hard game at the weekend, without a doubt. But no more difficult than a derby day trip to t'Turd.

Oddly enough, I think the nobbers will pick our pockets, Blackpool stylee on Sunday. However, it is about time Rovers put on a show for the loyal travelling fans. 

COYB!

• Like 3

We should be fired up for this especially with nearly 6000 away fans.

Thankfully we've got some proper men in the squad now, I don't see the likes of Mcfadz or Wiemann allowing some of the gutless performances we've seen in the past. These games are important and should be treated as the occasions that they are.

• Like 1

I guess it will come down to who is fit and trains this week. Doesn’t sound like Brittain will make it but Pickering and Weimann might.

Flip of a coin on Mak and Ohashi. I’ve gone for Mak because I think he leads the line better but that would be incredibly harsh on Ohashi. Will accept the managers take on it. Would love to see them together

I reckon…

Pears

Carter.   Batth.   Hyam.   Beck

Travis.   Sonny

Weimann     Dolan     Hedges

Mak

Subs - Toth, JRC, Mcfadz, Pick, Buckley, Baker, Cantwell, ACD, Ohashi

PNE 1 - 2 Rovers

Note - Elliot’s article in the LT, about tactics on Tuesday was brilliant in explaining our in possession and out of possession tactics and formations. Explains how the choice of fullback dictates the players roles further up the pitch. With one of the wide players inverting into a second #10 in behind Yuki.

Makes me think, Dolan will take that spot in the team (on either side) once Cantwell is fit to start as a #10.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I guess it will come down to who is fit and trains this week. Doesn’t sound like Brittain will make it but Pickering and Weimann might.

Flip of a coin on Mak and Ohashi. I’ve gone for Mak because I think he leads the line better but that would be incredibly harsh on Ohashi. Will accept the managers take on it. Would love to see them together

I reckon…

Pears

Carter.   Batth.   Hyam.   Beck

Travis.   Sonny

Weimann     Dolan     Hedges

Mak

Subs - Toth, JRC, Mcfadz, Pick, Buckley, Baker, Cantwell, ACD, Ohashi

PNE 1 - 2 Rovers

Note - Elliot’s article in the LT, about tactics on Tuesday was brilliant in explaining our in possession and out of possession tactics and formations. Explains how the choice of fullback dictates the players roles further up the pitch. With one of the wide players inverting into a second #10 in behind Yuki.

Makes me think, Dolan will take that spot in the team (on either side) once Cantwell is fit to start as a #10.

Given the part of your post that I highlighted in bold, Weimann is unlikely to play ahead of Carter.  Maybe Hedges on the right (as he was on Saturday) and Weimann left (where Baker played) with that defence though?

I do agree that Cantwell and Dolan are likely to be the "two 10s" once everyone is fit and firing

Edited by KentExile