BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 22/2/2024 - 12pm k/o

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Both Brittain and Beck played together v Burnley.

I think that was through necessity rather than choice.

Pickering's injury meant Beck had to play, and Batths injury meant that he couldn't slot into centre back (*) with Carter moving along to right back. 

I get the feeling that when there is a choice to be made it will more often than not be a full back pairing of either Pickering & Britain, or Beck & Carter

* Pretty sure that (barring a huge injury crisis) this season, McFadzean will only be used from the bench in backs to the wall situations when holding onto a lead/draw rather than from the start 

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Hasta said:

Biggest surprise for me about the Preston game last night was finding out that Harrison Reed will turn 30 in a couple of months !

Hahaha it's scary isn't it. You think these guys are still potential kids then it turns out they are no longer potential or kids!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Nobody thinking Gueye will start? It seems exactly the sort of game where we need him to me.

Could possibly see Gueye start as the 9, Ohashi move back to 10, and Dolan slide across to replace Bakers role, which would still allow Dolan to be the second number 10 when Rovers have the ball

Pears

Carter Batth Hyam Beck

Travis Tronstad

Hedges Ohashi Dolan

Gueye

But I feel Eustace will go with the same team as Bristol, Baker was the right footed set piece option (in my opinion he didn't really put in decent set piece deliveries, but Eustace seems to like to have a left footed and right footed option on the pitch) in a team that won 3-0, so that may be enough to keep him in the 11.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Could possibly see Gueye start as the 9, Ohashi move back to 10, and Dolan slide across to replace Bakers role, which would still allow Dolan to be the second number 10 when Rovers have the ball

Pears

Carter Batth Hyam Beck

Travis Tronstad

Hedges Ohashi Dolan

Gueye

But I feel Eustace will go with the same team as Bristol, Baker was the right footed set piece option (in my opinion he didn't really put in decent deliveries, but Eustace seems to like to have a left footed and right footed option on the pitch) in a team that won 3-0, so that may be enough to keep him in the 11.

I'd go with that side.

It would be great if I'm wrong about this, but I'm sceptical about putting Ohashi at 10. His main outstanding features that we've seen so far are his finishing and his movement in making runs behind the defence. And the one side of his game which looks slightly ropey is his first touch.

If we're starting Gueye, I'd have Ohashi out wide. It might still not work, but we know from Saturday that he's not scared of running at full backs! Something like the below:

Ohashi     Dolan     Hedges

Gueye

It's a shame that hardly anyone plays with two strikers these days, as they're a perfect big man/little man combination. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen

13 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

It would be great if I'm wrong about this, but I'm sceptical about putting Ohashi at 10. His main outstanding features that we've seen so far are his finishing and his movement in making runs behind the defence. And the one side of his game which looks slightly ropey is his first touch.

If we're starting Gueye, I'd have him out wide. It might still not work, but we know from Saturday that he's not scared of running at full backs! Something like the below:

Ohashi     Dolan     Hedges

Gueye

It's a shame that hardly anyone plays with two strikers these days, as they're a perfect big man/little man combination. 

Both Ohashi and Guaye started against Derby and that didn't go too badly?

I also think Guaye was doing a great job roughing up Burnley defenders till he was sent off.

We have missed that side of the game so much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

I also think Guaye was doing a great job roughing up Burnley defenders till he was sent off.

I don't think they did - but they've both looked so dangerous since that we need to think about how to best get them both on the pitch at the same time. 

Gueye's really impressed me on the ball. In the Stockport friendly and the Derby game I thought his touch looked decent but that he was keeping it very simple. Some of his passing since then though has been much better than I was expecting. 

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gueye started the Derby game and Ohashi replaced him.

They have been on the pitch at the same time in the Stockport cup game and also against Oxford. 

Yet to see them start together though, and more often than not, one has replaced the other as sub,  so unsure if it would be seen by Eustace as an option to have them both in the same starting line up

Edited by KentExile

12 minutes ago, KentExile said:

They have been on the pitch at the same time in the Stockport cup game and also against Oxford. 

Yet to see them start together though, and more often than not, one has replaced the other as sub,  so unsure if it would be seen by Eustace as an option to have them both in the same starting line up

At the moment the  only instance I can see of both of them being on the pitch at the same time is if we are chasing the game and need goals. That might change as the season goes on but I’d be surprised. 

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At the moment the  only instance I can see of both of them being on the pitch at the same time is if we are chasing the game and need goals. That might change as the season goes on but I’d be surprised. 

We have also seen that whilst Yuki can last a full 90, Gueye seems to run out of steam after 45-60 mins

Gueye may improve his stamina as the season progresses, but for as long as that is the situation, it then becomes a case of does Eustace want to start or finish the game with Gueye on the pitch.   A question which may have a different answer depending upon the opposition we are facing.

Personally feel that the longer the season progresses, the less chance we have of seeing Ohashi and Gueye in the same starting lineup as going forwards, Cantwell will likely be the 10 behind one of Gueye or Ohashi

Edited by KentExile

Speaking of which, I encountered a man on a broken down snowmobile in the vast frozen wastelands of the Deepdale Tundra the other day. 

He said ‘I can’t get it started’

I had a quick look and told him  ‘it’s a problem with your engine, looks like you’ve blown a seal’

He said ‘no, that’s just frost on my moustache’

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 5