BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 5/10/2024

6 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Don't over analyse it.

Quotes taken out of context. 

Listen to him for yourself. He basically implied that after 1-0 the plan was to prevent further goals and try and get an equaliser then see. 

A point away from home is usually what most championship teams go for and that was his game plan. 

Agreed it's not ambitious but it's realistic.

We don't go to away grounds to get a win sadly

When he's got pears in goal, beck on loan and not in the team, Dolan on the wing, he can't exactly expect the lads to get an away win, that's not the quality we have. 

Especially after the midweek loss away 

He was going for a 0-0 or 1-1

Game plan worked well in second half very frustrating we lost it in the end 

Nothing about the game plan worked. The way we set up purposefully leaving our better attackers on the bench meant we offered nothing in attack which invited pressure and we were lucky to keep it only to 1 nil, down to a mixture of poor finishing and a few saves rather than by design.

The idea that we cant go to Plymouth with the intention (carried out with some convinction) of getting a win is ridiculous. His overly negative gameplan was counterproductive.

5 hours ago, DE. said:

I assume the game plan at Preston was similar, as from memory by the 35 minute mark neither side had a shot on goal. I think we do need to be a little more attacking on the road, although I can understand Eustace's attempt to be pragmatic as our defence is susceptible to bring breached. It's a difficult balancing act but we do seem to need a bit of adjustment somewhere. 

The thing is the tactics subsequently made us more vulnerable defensively because we were so passive. I wouldnt expect gung ho attacking but we should be starting our attackers with more quality to try and impose an attacking threat rather than just trying to cling on.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It would have been a very different game if Weimann had scored in the first few minutes. He should have scored. 

On the winner goal, Pears didn't even put a hand out to stop Whittaker's header either. 

I can understand why Eustace wanted to keep it tight for 60 mins and stop their players influencing the game then go for it attacking them. I also think we need to get crosses into the box when we got Gueye in the team and hold the ball up. We didn't enough of this. 

I would like to see more attacking front 4 where we take the game to Swansea whilst remaining defensive solid.  

They could have had a number of other goals though. Its counterproductive to have such a negative mindset where you purposefully leave your better attackers on the bench.

Their attacking players certainly did influence the game moreso as a result of the tactics. Cissoko had a field day running at a centre back playing out of position. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Have to say, Gueye was awful. Give me Sam Gallagher back any day. 

We’re all naturally gutted at losing the last two games but let’s hope that Eustace can get us back on track after an excellent start to the season. 

I didn't see yesterday's game but ye gods, how can any striker be worse than Sam Gallagher? It's a difficult proposition to conceive. 

And I think the annual late autumn collapse is very much on

7 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Eustace won’t change, he’s said himself that he prioritises clean sheets. His team set up reflects this

fair enough if thats his plan,it won`t work while he has carter at right back and hyam and pears minding the shop,you need stronger characters if you are going to grind out results,hyam would be the first on the exit list,he`s a right mard arse with concentration issues,he should have been straight out to attack that cross for the second goal yesterday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

They could have had a number of other goals though. Its counterproductive to have such a negative mindset where you purposefully leave your better attackers on the bench.

Their attacking players certainly did influence the game moreso as a result of the tactics. Cissoko had a field day running at a centre back playing out of position. 

So you had the same opinion on Carter when he played right back in previous 4 games in 3 of those we kept a clean sheet? Or this reaction specifically to the Plymouth game performance? 

If Weimann had scored that early chance we could very well be talking about a different performance and result. Plymouth might have not perform after. We simply don't know. 

I dont agree it's a negative mindset but its about keeping it defensively solid and keep that clean sheet given yourself a chance to win the game 

• Downvote 1

I also think that last 5 minutes from Dolan before getting hooked was possibly the worst I've ever seen a pro footballer play. Must've given the ball away 5 consecutive times in good positions before a needless booking.

He was absolutely abysmal yesterday and would struggle in a pub league on that showing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bazza said:

How come Hyam was our player of the season and now is one of the worst players in the squad? How can someone change so much?

he`s not a bad player,just soft as **** and not a leader,not what you need when you are under pressure,personified by that late goal yesterday,he should have been out for it first,instead of shying away like a bloody frightened pussy cat,he takes first blame for it closely followed by pears who was flapping about and in no mans land,it would`nt have mattered if hyam had taken charge and challenged for that ball in the box

• Like 3

Hyam is a major weak link at the moment and doesn’t seem to have ever regained his confidence. A spell on the bench is his best chance of rekindling the form of 2 seasons ago. I think there’s a good defender in there somewhere! The back 4 should be JRC/Brittain Carter  Batth and Beck against Swansea. Eustace doesn’t seem like a manager who drops players readily and is liked by the players for being loyal, so I’m concerned Hyam and Pears might be starting for some time yet… 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Gamst said:

Hyam is a major weak link at the moment and doesn’t seem to have ever regained his confidence. A spell on the bench is his best chance of rekindling the form of 2 seasons ago. I think there’s a good defender in there somewhere! The back 4 should be JRC/Brittain Carter  Batth and Beck against Swansea. Eustace doesn’t seem like a manager who drops players readily and is liked by the players for being loyal, so I’m concerned Hyam and Pears might be starting for some time yet… 

Dolan too. Eustace needs to wield the axe. Fed up of seeing shit performances continue to get rewarded.

Edited by G Somerset Rover

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

I also think that last 5 minutes from Dolan before getting hooked was possibly the worst I've ever seen a pro footballer play. Must've given the ball away 5 consecutive times in good positions before a needless booking.

He was absolutely abysmal yesterday and would struggle in a pub league on that showing.

He has had a couple of mares after a good start to the season. 

With the way Swansea play, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start against them. 

Only just got back, hell of a journey but i'd recommend Plymouth as an away day and stop over it's a good place if you can stomach the trek and usual predictable schoolboy defending.

Game of two halves we deserved nowt in the first half and for all Eustace bemoans the cruel ending we should have been 2 or 3 down by half time, not good enough.

Second half fully deserved a point but i'm fuming with the goal how many fucking times did they swing the ball out there and let it be headed into the danger area ?  

You could absolutely see that coming it wasn't even as if we were clearing the lines well as several times the ball went into the danger area but no one got a touch until eventually one guy got into the right place. It was like watching them practise something on a training ground why the hell didn't the so called leader in Rovers defence send someone across to push the guy wider !

Such naive crap again there's very little excuse for it.

As for Rooney not only does he look like a fat headed bell end he really is one.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Second half fully deserved a point but i'm fuming with the goal how many fucking times did they swing the ball out there and let it be headed into the danger area ?  

Hmm. We got better in the second half with each sub, and then from 75 mins onwards looked the more likely to score. But they still had far more chances than we had in that half. 

Stats don’t always tell the full picture, but in that second half Plymouth still had double the number of shots off target and on target that we had. If we’d got a point it would have been a steal, something which even the commentators on Rovers TV were saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So you had the same opinion on Carter when he played right back in previous 4 games in 3 of those we kept a clean sheet? Or this reaction specifically to the Plymouth game performance? 

If Weimann had scored that early chance we could very well be talking about a different performance and result. Plymouth might have not perform after. We simply don't know. 

I dont agree it's a negative mindset but its about keeping it defensively solid and keep that clean sheet given yourself a chance to win the game 

I never saw Carter as a long term solution at right back. We kept 3 clean sheets with him there but even then, 2 were against 10 men and he hadnt truly been tested by a quick winger, although Saito did get past him with ease once or twice prior to the red. But after those clean sheets, keeping that back 4 at Coventry was reasonable. But he faced Haji Wright who may have been out of form but because he is quick and direct he ripped Carter to shreds. I called for JRC to start at Plymouth, you have previously said that Duru should play when Brittain is out. Either way, Eustace got it wrong sticking with Carter who again was ripped apart by a quick winger in Cissoko.

The idea of having your better attackers on the bench purposely and giving them half an hour rather than most of/all of the game makes zero sense. And we werent defensively solid, and I feel that some of that was down to our absence of an attacking threat and our attitude of just hanging in rather than trying to impose ourselves on the game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he`s not a bad player,just soft as **** and not a leader,not what you need when you are under pressure,personified by that late goal yesterday,he should have been out for it first,instead of shying away like a bloody frightened pussy cat,he takes first blame for it closely followed by pears who was flapping about and in no mans land,it would`nt have mattered if hyam had taken charge and challenged for that ball in the box

Agreed he is a big ponce imo

So much better when he has an in form Mcfadz/Batth or Carter next to him doing the dirty work. We continually conceded soft goals because of half hearted soft defending.

Put your foot/head through the ball man !

I only saw the lowlights not the game. This break is a time to re assess and take some risks. I would play JRC at right back and bin one of the centre backs. I would try the new goalie before the rot truly sets in. Pears made some good saves but was out of position for the second goal. We need someone between the sticks that commands confidence. 

I would play the Brighton lad on the wing and hook Hedges and drop Dolan and play Yuki deeper. 

I am all for a settled team until losing becomes unsettling. 👻

Edited by bigbrandjohn

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

Such naive crap again there's very little excuse for it.

As for Rooney not only does he look like a fat headed bell end he really is one.

It just proves that the club is still a basket case and midtable all the way again. The longer Rooney is there the more trouble they are in. The same applies with Venkys and Waggott is probably of comparable intelligence to Rooney.

I would have called him a pig but not disagreeing with your description!

Edited by Vinjay
Reason for edit-Calling Rooney a pig

On 05/10/2024 at 17:30, West Yorks Rover said:

I don't understand all to criticism of Rooney, I thought his Derby team played some excellent football.

May turn out to be a top manager, who knows. Certainly has a football brain and I'd rather give him a try than the last few

losers we've had at Ewood.

As most people have figured out it was Rosenior who was responsible though it wasn't enough to overcome Rooney's idiocy.

The biggest reason you stayed up last season was Rooney and that ex assistant you had Uranus.

Edited by Vinjay

On 05/10/2024 at 17:48, DE. said:

🤣 Brilliant. 

Plymouth fans will feel absolutely robbed, but at the same time a lesson to them and Rooney that you can never rely on a 1-0. Need to be ruthless when you're on top, or this is often the end result. 

Rooney and learning lessons. That's always been his problem. 

An unbeaten run that consists of a few games proves nothing. It's yet another false start for you (addressing the forum here).

I think there is so much over reaction on socials and this forum at times its painful. Its almost like your reading bots online at times, or whether people are just after a reaction. Its like people cant take losing, nobody likes it but you need to learn to take it, in a way where its logical reasoning. Saturday is firmly on the manager. Not all players are good at certain jobs and tactics in terms of individuals strengths and weaknesses. Our defence of pickering, batth hyam and carter are always going to struggle when having to defend high against pace. Eustace obviously set the team up to press high from plymouths goal kicks etc, and that means your back lines tight and high up the pitch. Soon as they got through our press we were in danger. The first goal came from not winning the press high up, hedges almost won the press but didn't and then we were exposed, the ball got played wide and naturally our back line kept retreating because the attackers are rapid, hence the room the player got in the box to put it in when the cross came in, everyone's natural instinct was retreat lower and lower because they aren't quick enough. Carters side was getting battered at the start. You either accommodate it with a pacey winger in front of Carter (eg. dubbery) to help him or you put someone with pace in that position (eg duru) to try to nullify it playing a high line. Teams will create chances especially when its your home ground, but we started the game on the front foot, which meant when you lose the ball high your leaving a lot of open space for the opposition which we did, which is why every time they attacked they had a lot more space and ease to get through. Then when we did have to sit in and win the ball back we had zero outlets because we had no direct players on to go in behind Gueye, dolan and co all want to come short to get it. The group of players Saturday just was not the correct combined 11 to start that game. Dolans been dreadful recently but you cant say he hasn't done ok at the start of the season. Its thing like this is where Eustace has to know what will work for each game, I think he underestimated Plymouths attacking threat, and I think most our fanbase does to, our way of playing saturday was always going to give plymouth chances with the 11 we started. Their front 4 will cause most teams in thuis problems at their own place. Soon as we bought on Dubbery with legs to get at players it helped us get up the pitch better, cantwell also coming on helped the ball stick a bit better. I even read posts of cantwell was rubbish... I've no idea what game those people are watching, he was brilliant when he came on, worked his nuts off and tried to get on the ball at every opportunity, a lot more was created an we kept the ball better than we did in the first half. Just because hes a wet flannel at trying to tackle and header people immediately think hes awful NO thats simply not his game, there are not many players especially championship level that give you the full package as a player, thats why its important you get a BALANCED 11 players that can nullify the particular strengths of an opposition and exploit the particular weakness defensively of an opposition, and thats where the correct team selection comes into it from Eustace. 

I also think Carter and Batth are our strongest cb partnership. I also think Gueye and Yuki would look alot better with certain players around them, they are not the best, but Gueye could be affective enough with certain individuals around him, for instance a cantwell and Dubbery might make Gueye look at lot more affective. 

Btw we also created a fair few chances Saturday, plymouth more so. A better performance than Tuesday, but a very naive one from our gaffer. Rant over. Lets hope Eustace learns, if not, then it will be a frustrating season. 

• Like 2

We can analyse the match to death but basically we were bloody awful.

The last 3 away games have been close to relegation levels of performance against teams that will probably finish at the lower end of the table themselves. It's just a symptom of Venky's era Rovers. What else can we realistically expect when we sell or release our best players and don't reinvest any money in the playing side?

The start of the season had been decent but I don't allow myself to become too hopeful as I know there is no real determination to succeed within the club itself.

43 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

I think there is so much over reaction on socials and this forum at times its painful. Its almost like your reading bots online at times, or whether people are just after a reaction. Its like people cant take losing, nobody likes it but you need to learn to take it, in a way where its logical reasoning. Saturday is firmly on the manager. Not all players are good at certain jobs and tactics in terms of individuals strengths and weaknesses. Our defence of pickering, batth hyam and carter are always going to struggle when having to defend high against pace. Eustace obviously set the team up to press high from plymouths goal kicks etc, and that means your back lines tight and high up the pitch. Soon as they got through our press we were in danger. The first goal came from not winning the press high up, hedges almost won the press but didn't and then we were exposed, the ball got played wide and naturally our back line kept retreating because the attackers are rapid, hence the room the player got in the box to put it in when the cross came in, everyone's natural instinct was retreat lower and lower because they aren't quick enough. Carters side was getting battered at the start. You either accommodate it with a pacey winger in front of Carter (eg. dubbery) to help him or you put someone with pace in that position (eg duru) to try to nullify it playing a high line. Teams will create chances especially when its your home ground, but we started the game on the front foot, which meant when you lose the ball high your leaving a lot of open space for the opposition which we did, which is why every time they attacked they had a lot more space and ease to get through. Then when we did have to sit in and win the ball back we had zero outlets because we had no direct players on to go in behind Gueye, dolan and co all want to come short to get it. The group of players Saturday just was not the correct combined 11 to start that game. Dolans been dreadful recently but you cant say he hasn't done ok at the start of the season. Its thing like this is where Eustace has to know what will work for each game, I think he underestimated Plymouths attacking threat, and I think most our fanbase does to, our way of playing saturday was always going to give plymouth chances with the 11 we started. Their front 4 will cause most teams in thuis problems at their own place. Soon as we bought on Dubbery with legs to get at players it helped us get up the pitch better, cantwell also coming on helped the ball stick a bit better. I even read posts of cantwell was rubbish... I've no idea what game those people are watching, he was brilliant when he came on, worked his nuts off and tried to get on the ball at every opportunity, a lot more was created an we kept the ball better than we did in the first half. Just because hes a wet flannel at trying to tackle and header people immediately think hes awful NO thats simply not his game, there are not many players especially championship level that give you the full package as a player, thats why its important you get a BALANCED 11 players that can nullify the particular strengths of an opposition and exploit the particular weakness defensively of an opposition, and thats where the correct team selection comes into it from Eustace. 

I also think Carter and Batth are our strongest cb partnership. I also think Gueye and Yuki would look alot better with certain players around them, they are not the best, but Gueye could be affective enough with certain individuals around him, for instance a cantwell and Dubbery might make Gueye look at lot more affective. 

Btw we also created a fair few chances Saturday, plymouth more so. A better performance than Tuesday, but a very naive one from our gaffer. Rant over. Lets hope Eustace learns, if not, then it will be a frustrating season. 

Whilst I don't agree with your entire post I absolutely agree that Eustace has to take the lions share of blame for Saturday. Selection and tactics in the wake of an abysmal performance at Coventry should have been so different.

• Like 4