BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 26/10/94 - k/o 12:30pm

Will be going to this one - and the last match I saw was the debacle at Coventry, so hoping for a better outcome this time but wouldn't be surprised if it's another thumping. I watched the Leeds match last night and this lot are a decent side with players that can hurt us.

Watford 3 Rovers 0 

I watched the Watford game as well the other night and agree, apart from the first 10 minutes where the keeper had a nightmare, they were Leeds' equal in my opinion.

The thing that really struck me was the pace they have throughout the team but especially in wide areas. That will undoubtedly give us problems so in view of that my team reflects the protection that will be needed down the flanks. Don't think for a minute this will be the side though

Pears

Brittain.         Baath.       Hyam.     Pickering

Tronstad.       Travis

JRC.                    Cantwell.             Beck

Gueye/Ohashi

Wouldn't mind seeing a return to the back 3 we used relatively successfully at the tougher away games last season.

JRC - Hyam - Batth - Pickering - Beck

Travis - Tronstad

Cantwell

Dolan-Gueye

I do think this will be a game to far though after a couple of tired perfomances.

Watford 2 Rovers 0 

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Wouldn't mind seeing a return to the back 3 we used relatively successfully at the tougher away games last season.

Travis - Tronstad

Cantwell

Dolan-Gueye

I do think this will be a game to far though after a couple of tired perfomances.

Watford 2 Rovers 0 

I was thinking along those lines as well.

Its a hard selection to suggest/predict. We really could do with freshening things up both because of the limited time between games and also to try and find a solution to what is a rather slow and underwhelming attack that is currently struggling to fire. Our away form is very poor and we need to try and get off the mark with a win which would really strengthen our strong league position.

Maybe a back 3 is worth considering simply because of our lack of quality out wide. It can give the wing backs more opportunity to attack and give Cantwell a free role behind both strikers. 

Toth/Pears

JRC Hyam Batth Pickering Beck

Travis Cantwell Tronstad

Gueye Ohashi

Subs: GK, Brittain, McFadzean, Hedges, Baker, Buckley, Dolan, Weimann, Leonard

Alternatively, just stick to the same formation, Batth obviously in for Carter and then change the wide men and striker with Cantwell replacing Dolan in a more suitable central role.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Travis - Tronstad

Cantwell

Dolan Ohashi - Gueye

Watford 2 Rovers 0 

Yep I'd go with that other than Ohashi instead of Dolan.

Ohashi can't play the lone striker role but with Gueye there to do the heavy lifting, his finishing skills get him a huge nod over Dolan.

Someone was telling me last night that Dolan has only 2 goals and 2 assists in 11 games - that is dreadful for any forward but having played mainly in his favoured 10 role, it's a diabolical return and further evidence, IMO, that he's grossly overrated and flatters to deceive.

Cantwell has to be the focal point of our offensive threat.  He is different class to our other offensive players and he did some excellent stuff last night.  He must be nearing full fitness now and we need him pulling the strings in our offensive play as much as possible.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Cantwell has to be the focal point of our offensive threat.  He is different class to our other offensive players and he did some excellent stuff last night.  He must be nearing full fitness now and we need him pulling the strings in our offensive play as much as possible.   

Cantwell stood out by a mile last night, can tell he's done it a level above. We just need one more player of that quality to pair him up with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Ohashi can't play the lone striker role but with Gueye there to do the heavy lifting, his finishing skills get him a huge nod over Dolan.

Someone was telling me last night that Dolan has only 2 goals and 2 assists in 11 games - that is dreadful for any forward but having played mainly in his favoured 10 role, it's a diabolical return and further evidence, IMO, that he's grossly overrated and flatters to deceive.

It’s hardly ‘diabolical’ in a team that creates very little. And it’s better than everyone else except Yuki.

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 1

For me I think we should go to a 5 2 3 or something like that (if Carter is fine)

Carter Hyam and Batth as the cbs and then allow Brittain/JRC and Beck to go marauding down the wings.  With that you don't need additional wingers in Dolan and Hedges and I would play Ohashi Makhtar and Cantwell all together, with two up front and one just off

Edit- I now see that others have already said this above! But another voice of support to this idea

Edited by CambridgeRover

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

For me I think we should go to a 5 2 3 or something like that (if Carter is fine)

Carter Hyam and Batth as the cbs and then allow Brittain/JRC and Beck to go marauding down the wings.  With that you don't need additional wingers in Dolan and Hedges and I would play Ohashi Makhtar and Cantwell all together, with two up front and one just off

Edit- I now see that others have already said this above! But another voice of support to this idea

Looking at the way Carter limped off I’d be surprised if he’s anywhere near playing on Saturday at 12-30. We could go with Hyam- Batth-Pickering. Pickering played there away at Leicester last season and did pretty well. The only problem is unless MacFad gets fit soon we won’t have a back up on the bench if any of the starters limps off.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looking at the way Carter limped off I’d be surprised if he’s anywhere near playing on Saturday at 12-30. We could go with Hyam- Batth-Pickering. Pickering played there away at Leicester last season and did pretty well. The only problem is unless MacFad gets fit soon we won’t have a back up on the bench if any of the starters limps off.

If any of the defenders limp off, then the playing system is adjusted as needed. Face problems if they occur, just be aware that they might happen.

I would be tempt to change formation for this game and match them up. 

Pears

Hyam Batth Pickering 

JRC Travis Tronstad Beck

Dolan Cantwell 

Gueye 

If we stick with back 4 then I would set up like this

Pears

JRC Batth Hyam Beck

Travis Tronstad 

Weimann Dolan Cantwell 

Gueye

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mercer said:

In the absence of Sammi, and whilst it's early doors, our goals and assists are spread amongst the team/ squad.

Dolan is 2nd highest in goals and assists.

This is not praise of Dolan who frustrates the hell out of me, just putting his meagre stats into context

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/158/Show/England-Blackburn

This 5 at the back looks good on paper, just what worries me is travstad (who both had good games at west brom in my opinion) have become hard to replace, we need that Wharton esque quality to turn possession around in that area and break lines... maybe focusing attack on the wings is the answer though (and suits getting ohashi / gueye in the team together) i like all wing back options more than dolan/hedges/siggy etc. Thought JRC was excellent in last game at rb.. defo his position

In 4 at the back i do think trav and tronstad is limiting going forwards, if only buckley kicked on.

Can see a loss, be very happy with a win here. What happened to duberry?

Edited by DackDackGoose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DackDackGoose said:

This 5 at the back looks good on paper, just what worries me is travstad (who both had good games at west brom in my opinion) have become hard to replace, we need that Wharton esque quality to turn possession around in that area and break lines... maybe focusing attack on the wings is the answer though (and suits getting ohashi / guey7e in the team together) i like all wing back options more than dolan/hedges/siggy etc. Thought JRC was excellent in last game at rb.. defo his position

In 4 at the back i do think trav and tronstad is limiting going forwards, if only buckley kicked on.

Can see a loss, be very happy with a win here. What happened to duberry?

Durberry is injured 

It said in the telegraph the week after Swansea game that Eustace had said he was due to start that game only for picking up an injury 

Hope he gets fit soon the attack needs something else no idea if he be good enough but in his cameo appearances I thought he did OK