BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 26/10/94 - k/o 12:30pm

15 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

I thought we played well in parts today, was quietly impressed with Hedges who caused problems with Brittain overlapping. We’re a much more potent attacking threat with Brittain in the team. Beck was excellent again.

Gueye is awful, his touch is so far from the required standard it’s almost comical. He played the ball straight into touch from throwins at least 4 times 

First bad game he's had I think. Still he got absolutely no service again. 

As much as I think we’ve played pretty poorly over the last few matches, I have to say I think today was much better and the best we’ve looked away from home for a while. Unfortunate to lose.
Still fairly toothless upfront but looked like we could pass the ball a bit at times at least for a change. 

Cantwell just looks like another Buckley (cracking game every 10 see Newcastle in the cup). Bit of a luxury and needs more of a free central role for me. Shows glimpses of quality which we’d get more off centrally than wide left IMO

Travis’ best game for a while, though he looked good.

Hyam should have scored and that’s pretty much cost us the game.

Not sure what Weimann offers us. Still a lot of questions on who the best 3/4 ‘attacking’ options are, but we need more creativity behind them too

Edited by superniko

Overall good performance from the players but didn't take our chances. Should have took all 3 points but didn't. Hyam, Weimann and Ohashi all with great chances.

Dolan looked injured when he came on.

Gueye good at holding the ball up. 

Ohashi impressed. Travis, Cantwell, Hyam and Brittain all played very good today.

Pears had basically nothing to do apart take the ball from the goal after Pen scored. Smash and grab from Watford today. Its was very harsh pen given by Ref for me 

So overall disappointed with result but happy with performance and how many good chances created. 

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we did`nt play badly,unfortunately our big chance fell to a centre back,soft penalty but we all know the refs in the championship are a complete anomaly,they are capable of giving anything

Our big chance fell to Weimann.

37 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Thoughts from watching the stream, couldn't make it today (even though it is close)

We have really big problems starting to develop going forward. For three years now managers have been asking for a quality striker, we have never recruited one.

Hedges and Weimann were ineffective again. 

The problem lies behind the strikers. They're getting very little service from the 3 in attacking midfield. 

Cantwell is clearly a sensational player at this level, but he can't do it on his own (he can't finish that sitter Weimann missed for example as he's the one that put him through). 

Ohashi and Gueye are a damn sight better than what we had last year. I'm hopeful Leonard can come back and contribute soon too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The problem lies behind the strikers. They're getting very little service from the 3 in attacking midfield. 

Cantwell is clearly a sensational player at this level, but he can't do it on his own (he can't finish that sitter Weimann missed for example as he's the one that put him through). 

Ohashi and Gueye are a damn sight better than what we had last year. I'm hopeful Leonard can come back and contribute soon too. 

Yep there is absolutely no creativity behind the striker (if we continue to play 1 up there). 

Travis and Tronstad can do a job and keep us solid in front of the back 4 but we need more in the 3 in front of them. (IMO Cantwell central and 2 fast wide players either side running off the striker - which we don’t have)

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hedges can have little complaints with the penalty IMO, hand was up in the air.

Bizarre take. His hand was up before the ball even reached their player so how can he be considered to be attempting to handle it before he even knew where it was going? For me his hands were up because he was trying to balance and perhaps to indicate he wasn't pushing the player in order to avoid...well, giving a penalty! It was a joke of a decision as there is zero possibility he handled it on purpose, which is the entire point of the rules.

• Like 3

A shame that this game was settled by a dubious penalty. Hedges didn’t have chance to get his arm out of the way so unlucky in that respect. What happened to deliberate hand ball? 

It was always going to be a tough away game but at least we put up a reasonable show limiting Watford to half chances. A draw would have been fair.

The performance was 100%  better than the last two away games but we still lack that killer instinct in front of goal. Gueye is not the answer to our striking problems as apart from causing their central defenders some nuisance, he did little else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

fell to hyam when he hit the crossbar from 5 yards😫

Fair enough, realised just after I posted you might mean something in the first half, which I missed as I didn't realise it was an early kickoff 😅

The commentators only mentioned 'a chance in the first half' when summarising the game so I'd thought it wasn't one of much note. Apologies.

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Fair enough, realised just after I posted you might mean something in the first half, which I missed as I didn't realise it was an early kickoff 😅

The commentators only mentioned 'a chance in the first half' when summarising the game so I'd thought it wasn't one of much note. Apologies.

was a shocking miss,instead of just sidefooting it in he tried to smash the **** out of the ball

27 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Smodic?

38 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i thought it was a bit soft tbh and at least we did`nt get a repeat of the coventry game,which i thought would happen,

The manager has literally come out and said the referee knows that's not a penalty - so he's going to get fined, that's how bad it was. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If you are talking about Leonard getting into that team then its an indictment of Ohashi and Gueye. His level is L1 or L2 in my opinion. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Bizarre take. His hand was up before the ball even reached their player so how can he be considered to be attempting to handle it before he even knew where it was going? For me his hands were up because he was trying to balance and perhaps to indicate he wasn't pushing the player in order to avoid...well, giving a penalty! It was a joke of a decision as there is zero possibility he handled it on purpose, which is the entire point of the rules.

It might be a case of me not following the constantly changing rule. But its not necessarily about purposely handballing it, is it? His hand was in an unnatural position above his head.

• Like 2

On the way home after another Jim-the albatross inspired defeat. I should stay away

That was tough. Watford offered little and defeat was undeserved. On the other hand, Hyam’s dreadful miss apart I never felt we looked like scoring.

We will finish the season mid table I expect. There’s not enough quality in the team to get any higher.  The 2 new lads up front are poor and scoring goals is going to be a struggle

Brittain, cantwell, beck were our best players. The Watford number 8 was outstanding 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

It might be a case of me not following the constantly changing rule. But its not necessarily about purposely handballing it, is it? His hand was in an unnatural position above his head.

It's called deliberate handball last I heard, so yeh it's about purposely handballing it. I've explained why his position is natural. If you watch a match and look for it, you'll see players raise their hands like that dozens of times a match, most of them just don't have the misfortune of the ball striking them from a yard away. It's a bollocks decision. Even the Watford commentators weren't convinced.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

It's called deliberate handball last I heard, so yeh it's about purposely handballing it. I've explained why his position is natural. If you watch a match and look for it, you'll see players raise their hands like that dozens of times a match, most of them just don't have the misfortune of the ball striking them from a yard away. It's a bollocks decision. Even the Watford commentators weren't convinced.

the really annoying facet of it is next week,the same handball will no doubt be turned down likely by the same referee

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Spot on there Bruce with your explanation 

• Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Overall good performance from the players but didn't take our chances. Should have took all 3 points but didn't. Hyam, Weimann and Ohashi all with great chances.

Dolan looked injured when he came on.

Gueye good at holding the ball up. 

Ohashi impressed. Travis, Cantwell, Hyam and Brittain all played very good today.

Pears had basically nothing to do apart take the ball from the goal after Pen scored. Smash and grab from Watford today. Its was very harsh pen given by Ref for me 

So overall disappointed with result but happy with performance and how many good chances created. 

Seeing as you have thumbs downed my post, and obviously factoring in with the above that its all about results.

We agree that the home form is brilliant as is the continued ability to keep clean sheets at home.

Do any of the following concern you:

- 3 points from 6 away games, no wins

- 4 goals from 7 games, 2 from 5 games

- Our main striker signing is still to score or to come close to scoring a league goal

25 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

If you are talking about Leonard getting into that team then its an indictment of Ohashi and Gueye. His level is L1 or L2 in my opinion. 

I think he's a wide player or a #10 at this level. Not big, strong, fast enough to lead the line.