BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

I wouldnt be too downhearted on the fact that cole got given a freebie transfer. I mean saving of around 60K a week PLUS a massive loyalty bonus is surely worth equal to a fee of around 2.3 million or even more.

I would now imagine that Rovers are in a position of strength if it comes to getting another striker. The whole footballing world now knows that the massive wages that were payable a few years ago are simply not around that is unless you are a massive star and are going to one of the really big clubs.

Other clubs know that you cannot command big transfer fees anymore, we have seen this with the likes of Steadinho and Emerton.

Basing my opinion solely on the above I figure Rovers could afford easily to bring in a decent striker, maybe from abroad and on loan, they could even afford to "rent" a player such as Butt and still be quids in.

The "rent" of a player may become more fashionable now as clubs simply have to start somewhere to try and recoup money that they need to survive.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while i believe and hope that we do bring in a quality striker to replace cole, i doubt that it will happen. souness seems to be well chuffed with dickov, publicly praising him several times already.

in fact, i suspect dickov will be given cole's number.

shearer 9, sutton 9, ward 9, cole 9, dickov 9

did i miss anyone out?

however, i think we might bring in another young unknown striker, and barring a totally disastrous first half of the season, that'd be it for strikers. unless dickov screws up, i don't see us bringing in anyone else. however, if he's not performing, we might bring someone in during the january window ala cole and stead.

also, there is always hope for matty... should we get a matty version 01-02, it'd be like a whole new signing. and if only yorke bothers to, he can still cut it i believe. he's strong, has a good first touch and other technical abilities.

as for the wages saved, i now hope that they will be used to finance a deal for butt... he'd be a good foil for fergie in the centre, rotating with tugay depending on the opposition and situation.

while i believe and hope that we do bring in a quality striker to replace cole, i doubt that it will happen.

also, there is always hope for matty... should we get a matty version 01-02, it'd be like a whole new signing. and if only yorke bothers to, he can still cut it i believe. he's strong, has a good first touch and other technical abilities.

Agree that it's unlikely Souness will get another striker in although it is most definately needed. If either Yorke or Jansen were at their best then the forward position probably wouldn't need an extra striker. As it is with both of them under par, and both unlikely to get any better, without Cole we are sadly lacking in experienced quality strikers. Dickov was only meant to be a squad player/replacement for Yorke.

Now that the club has saved sopme cash with Cole, I'd bet that this is a window for Matty to get some more minutes under his belt. Stead and Dickov up front, with Gally or Matty on the bench. While Jansen hasnt looked a shadow of his former self, in all honesty, he's hardly had much of a run in the team to find his former self. The money saved on Cole will ( I think) go on loan wages for a player.

I'm annoyed he went on a free. We may have got a bit of cash for him.

Have to disagree with you there, Billy. The more and more I think about it, Cole's current contract (and thus wage demands) make him an expensive venture for a club even without a transfer fee. Follow me on this...

Let's assume Cole is on £50,000 a week--a fair estimate given the escalating projections of his salary in the press. If his contract runs through the end of June next year, that's roughly fifty weeks left, and then he apparently gets the £1 million bonus. That's a grand total of £3.5 million they owe Cole over the next year if he stays on. Now if they were to demand a transfer fee for him, Fulham would inevitably insist that they provide Cole with a substantial payoff in order to temper his wage demands from his new club. Say, for instance, that as a severance package, Rovers agreed to pay Andy half of what he would gain from fulfilling his contract--£1.75 million. Even if they got a £1.5 million fee from the Cottagers (which is highly unlikely anyway), they would still be losing money on the deal.

The better option would, of course, be to get Fulham to take over Andy's contract. It states in the BBC article:

Since there is no fee, Fulham have agreed to take over Cole's £60,000-a-week Blackburn contract, which still has one year to run.

If that's true, Rovers are essentially free of their financial obligation to Cole, and they've lost no money in the deal. Of course, it would look better to the public if they got a fee for him, but if letting him walk on a Bosman frees them from the cost of a golden handshake, then it will ultimately be beneficial for the club.

Saunders is too busy planning a biological attack during the upcoming US election, eating babies, and having sex with your wife (and your pets). Dean Saunders is too busy being the source of all evil to teach technique.

Forgot to mention, Billy, that while I disagree with you on the above, I couldn't be in more agreement over Demon Saunders.

Since there is no fee, Fulham have agreed to take over Cole's £60,000-a-week Blackburn contract, which still has one year to run.

If that's true, Rovers are essentially free of their financial obligation to Cole, and they've lost no money in the deal. Of course, it would look better to the public if they got a fee for him, but if letting him walk on a Bosman frees them from the cost of a golden handshake, then it will ultimately be beneficial for the club.

I'd say it's more likely that Rovers paid him whatever golden handshake he would have been due, meaning that instead they save on the wages (whatever they are). This seems likely because it would probably mean that Cole would not have to demand a signing-on fee from Fulham.

Otherwise why would Cole give up whatever he was to receive at the end of the contract? Rovers wanted rid and we have heard no indication that he actually handed in a transfer request meaning that they would have had to pay the 'loyalty' bonus as he supposedly didn't wish to leave, at least not officially. Cole had them over a barrel and as his agent seems to have been particularly adept at getting the best deal in the past for his client from the club you can be sure that Cole himself didn't lose out financially from moving clubs.

Regardless, the wages saved should be quite substantial and it just depends how the squad is strengthened. Even the Cole detractors must admit that we have a less strong squad without him so I'll wait and see who is brought in to fill the gap and improve the squad.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I would reserve judgement on that one

It was COLE himself who has allegedly told the club and Souness that he cannot play for them, does that not then become some sort of transfer request ?

I dont think that Rovers will have paid out a massive bonus for one he didnt deserve it, and secondly all reports are saying that as there is no fee foolham are taking over the remaining 18 months of his contract !

I still find myself tentatively in the "Cole should stay" camp because I fear that the club will be too thin up front without him. Add to this the fact that Yorke should also be on his way out and that leaves Rovers with only four strikers--unless of course Souey is willing to gamble that Jemal Johnson is ready for first team action, which is something I somehow doubt.

Good post there, everything has been said more a less.

I am disappointed in the way how Cole has gone, be it that he is still a Rovers play at the moment, but as time passes by he slowly becomes a Fulham player.

What amazes me is that if Cole eventually does get paid of by the club, then why doesn’t Souness pay of the likes of Yorke and others? In my opinion it sums up the relationship between Cole and Souness. It seems Souness will do what he can to get rid of Cole.

Philly Rover ® - the bit about, without Cole we look to thin up front is exactly right. Stead and Cole formed a threatening partnership in the time that they were together. Both changed their games, both players did a lot of running both on and off the ball for each other, to give the chance for the other striker the chance to score.

I’d like to thank Cole for the service at Rovers. Yes, he may have played a few games where he hasn’t been up to scratch, but he did save us from relegation, he helped us to achieve European Football and he in my opinion with Stead was the main reason with the goals that both Cole and Stead scored was why we avoided relegation.

I wonder what Souness`s opinion is on the reception Cole got of the fans after the Birmingham game?

I would reserve judgement on that one

It was COLE himself who has allegedly told the club and Souness that he cannot play for them, does that not then become some sort of transfer request ?

I dont think that Rovers will have paid out a massive bonus for one he didnt deserve it, and secondly all reports are saying that as there is no fee foolham are taking over the remaining 18 months of his contract !

No, a written transfer request would have to be just that. Besides, where do you get the information that it was Cole who said he cannot play for them? It hasn't been in the media reports and in fact I've only heard it on here from some posters and they've been guessing. I'm not saying it's not true but that information hasn't come to light so I don't know how to comment on that. Certainly it was mentioned in the press reports that it was at a Rovers board meeting that the decision was taken that Andy Cole must leave. Sounds more like they were sick of the sight of each other rather than being a one-sided request to leave.

As for Fulham taking over his contract (and I'm pretty sure it's 12 months and not 18 as he signed a 3 1/2 year contract when we bought him) they are hardly likely to take over the loyalty bonus/golden handshake are they??? I'd say Rovers would have been willing to pay it just to get him out the club. Unless Cole and his agent have been stupid enough to leave it and forget the money (a very unlikely scenario I'm sure we all must agree for a modern footballer and his agent) then Rovers will have paid him that to get him off the wage bill.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

What amazes me is that if Cole eventually does get paid of by the club, then why doesn’t Souness pay of the likes of Yorke and others?

If they could actually find anyone to take over Yorke's contract then they'd have to likewise then come to some agreement with him most probably. There's not much point in the club just paying him off as that wouldn't save them any money at all.

rover.gif you can bet your bottom dollar,the only loser's in this will be the club,cole will either be paid off or recieve a fee from fulham.i tend to think it will be us paying.

i cannot believe the club will allow mr souness to venture in the transfer market.we may end up with another 32 + yr old,too boost the ranks.

if andrew cole is on 50k a week,we save a massive amount in wages but severence pay for him,flitcroft,todd and yorke will eat that away.what we have is what we take on the premier with.

personnally i have every confidence in stead and gallacher,but i tend to think mr souness will play dickov with stead. tinykit.gif

Seeing as I wasnt around here when it was signed, I was just wondering if we actually know for sure if there was a loyalty bonus? And if there is, and Cole is that sick of Souness, then perhaps he was willing to drop it in order to goto Fulham. After all, at Rovers, he would take the 1mill bonus and prbably leave at that age - if Fulham have said they will give him an extra year, at 3million a year, perhaps he was prepared to do so.

To all you Cole detractors, I'm sorry but IMO only one club comes out of this laughing and that's Fulham.To sign a player of Coles proven Premiership quality for a zero fee is one hell of a coup regardless of his wages,wonder if he'll be on 40,50,60 K at the cottage?...perhaps they aren't as stupid as other clubs dry.gif

Judging by the depth of feeling on here it looks like he'll receive a warm welcome on his return to Ewood this coming season,I dont think any Rovers fans can hold a grudge against the fella.

Thanks for your efforts in the blue 'n' white Andy Cole your cup winning goal alone gave me the best day out in Wales ever..........

user posted imagesmile.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I think that Cole was sick of Souness, but after hearing several interviews from Cole, especially the one on Radio Rovers after the Birmingham game, I took it that Cole wanted to stay at Rovers and that Cole was prepared to put his differences and forget about them and concentrate on the job ahead.

In my opinion I think it’s the time for Souness to go as well. I know we had a bad season but at times his tactics were wrong. What also really annoys me is that Souness has the drive to get rid of Cole, our top goalscorer last season.

It looks as if Souness wasn’t and has got what he wants in getting him out.

My question is, Souness has got rid of Cole but why can’t he pay off someone like Yorke?

It’s not just Cole that has been forced out or that who has left its other players as well.

Who is going to be the next player to leave or forced out by Souness, simply because that they don’t see eye to eye with him?

I’ve said it a number of times on here, in my opinion there is something that is clearly wrong behind the scenes with the relationship between the manager and the squad that he has.

LIGHT HEARTED BREAK************

When I told my 5 year old Coles not a Rover no more he said wheres he gone,I said looks fulham.He said daddy can I shout for him when he plays manchester.

1/2 hour later I heard singing to the cole tune ...when he gets the ball he scores a goal johnny johnny stead ...the when he gets the ball he hits the post andy pandy cole.

made me chuckle anyway biggrin.gif

rover.gif forgot to add that we the fans will not know the outcome off the deal,till the financial records are printed ,then we will either be in the nationwide or still plugging along in the premiership,either way we will just shrug our shoulders,buy our season tickets and carry on supporting our team,great ain't it tinykit.gif

I'm surprised I haven't read a full and unreserved apology to 'master of the football scoop' Alan Nixon in amongst all the Cole talk after some of the early comments on this thread!

He may get a bad press amongst members of the board, and probably rightly so in some cases, but the last 2 stories I've heard attributed to him (Duff and Cole sale) both turned out to be true.

LIGHT HEARTED BREAK************

When I told my 5 year old Coles not a Rover no more he said wheres he gone,I said looks fulham.He said daddy can I shout for him when he plays manchester.

1/2 hour later I heard singing to the cole tune ...when he gets the ball he scores a goal johnny johnny stead ...the when he gets the ball he hits the post andy pandy cole.

made me chuckle anyway biggrin.gif

thumbs-up.gif Quality

We seem to lose a decent player every close season and lets face it Coles not up there with Duff or Shearer.

Life goes on.

I'll remain an Andy Cole fan, except of course when we play Fulham. At the end of the day he got to the stage where he couldn't work with his boss, I've been in the same boat, either I walked or clouted him.

Agree with Simon Garner

Let's put it this way, we thought it was great to sign Paul Dickov, yes that's Paul Dickov, for 150K or whatever. They just got Cole for nothing.

That's simply....great

huh.gif

I think if you go on the archive for LET you will see the report that states Cole has told the club he is no longer prepared to play for the manager. IMO that makes it the same as saying that I am bigger than the manager, the club must do as I say, I am the superstar and I am right !

But the real way to look at it is this, he has asked to go because he cannot resolve his differences with the manager. that is his problem and is simply because his ego has over inflated.

Dont get me wrong I would love Cole to stay at Rovers but he has dissed the name of BRFC not just with Souness but with the whole damned set up.

I understand your views and respect them but I cannot ever think that BRFC will have paid cole up the full amount or anywhere near it for him to leave. The man is a multi millionaire and does not need his pay off in full from Rovers, foolham would also have to make some offer of incentives to him to get him to sign.

Oh yes the other thing that struck me

NOT one other Premiership club looks like they are interested in him, not even his old boss KK. Now that really says it all tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.